Which is "grippier" glossy or matte?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I generally detest the look of glossy finish, but I've been giving it some thought and I noticed my 900's matte finish seemed to make it easy for it to slip out of my hand before I put the rubber bumper case on it.

Now I'm close to buying a new Lumia 920. I would normally just go for the matte since I don't like glossy as much, but I remembered that my 900 was pretty slippery and the 920 is going to be even bigger and harder to grip, so I got to thinking.... maybe the glossy surface will be a bit "tackier" so it will stick in your hand better.

Can anyone confirm this?

If so, I'll probably go with glossy white. I just can't see myself putting a case on a phone that is already a bit bigger and heavier than I'd like it to be. :dry

Option #2 of course would be to just go with an 820... but I'm not ready to give in just yet.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Not sure cos of it being a demo unit with gazillion fingerprints and other smudge, but the glossy one was more grippy. Theres not much friction on the matte one, but the glossy is quite rubber-like in the grip feeling.

Oh, you already put it in better words in your OP: IMO the glossy one was indeed much "tackier" and sticked to the hand much more than the matte black.

I like the feel of the matte much much better, but I have hard time settling for a black phone.. so boring while the red looks simply amazing, but it feels nowhere near as nice and premium in my hands.

To elaborate, I got to hold both phones (or more so both finishes) in my hands at the same time, so this isn't theorycrafting on previous models or pictures.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure there's that much of a difference. Neither is really slippery.

What I believe makes phones easy to drop ends up being the shape. If the shape of the phone tends to make you only hold it on the edges, then you're more likely to drop it. Fewer and smaller contact points with your hands.

If the phone ends up resting on your palm, then you're less likely to drop it. Bigger contact points.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
What I believe makes phones easy to drop ends up being the shape. If the shape of the phone tends to make you only hold it on the edges, then you're more likely to drop it. Fewer and smaller contact points with your hands.

If the phone ends up resting on your palm, then you're less likely to drop it. Bigger contact points.
Good point, WG. The fact that the 920 is curved means more "phone" will make contact with the palm of a hand. Perhaps this won't be that big of a deal, glossy or matte.

Can't wait to see the phone IRL.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Depends.

Glossy can be grippier, assuming that one has consumed a VERY large sticky bun for breakfast within the last half hour (and not washed his hands).

Otherwise, rubberized matte is typically better. ;)

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Well...basing this off of very basic physics, the matte would be "grippier" because it provides more friction. Sometimes you get that sticky effect with glossy that can make it grippy I guess.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Also, I could imagine glossy becoming damn slippery with sweaty hands, but that's just theorycrafting. But in short, when using two very smudgy demo phones, glossy ones were much tackier :D

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it all depends on the material the device is made from and the form factor. I've played with the S3, and it was impossible for me to hold due to the thinness, light weight and slippery finish.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The S3 is impossible to hold (as well as impossible to keep running). This is true. But it has a "coated" finish -- almost lacquer. I'd imagine the gloss on the Nokia is similar to the 900 in white, which is far less slippery.

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The yellow demo unit (glossy) was quite grippy, though, when I had it in my hand. Black one (matte, of course) was quite grippy as well. Hard to say, didn't have that much time to play around since there were other people wanting to try'em out.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Depends.

Glossy can be grippier, assuming that one has consumed a VERY large sticky bun for breakfast within the last half hour (and not washed his hands).

Otherwise, rubberized matte is typically better. ;)

Yeah the Nokia's matte finish isn't rubberized though, at least it's not on my 900.

I'm thinking glossy is going to actually be easier to grip with a little humdity, which is always present in your hand, especially here in Florida.

I'd prefer matte generally, but seeing as how my 900 has a cracked screen now from being dropped one too many times, and the 920 is even bigger which could very well potentially make it harder to grasp, I'm thinking glossy. At least white won't show the little scratches and swirl marks quite so much.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't be much of a difference I think. But both the guys the hold matte and glossy (one forum member and that girl from CNET) said matter feels better.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I had a white 900 for a few months, and I've had a black 900 since launch day. The glossy was more tacky, as has been said. Also, I'd have to disagree about the glossy showing more fingerprints. It might get more fingerprints, but they aren't that easy to see. The matte black shows more grease and wear. Also, my black 900 has spots on the edges that have been worn smooth. Don't get me wrong, it's still beautiful. If I take a damp washcloth to it, after it's dry it looks almost perfect.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I own a glossy white 900 for 2 months now. Previously I owned a Trophy. The amazing thing is that I have not dropped my 900 till now compared to my 1st 2 months with my Trophy when I recalled dropping it a few times. Despite the gloss & smoothness, I find the grip on the 900 is much more sturdier & firmer compared to the Trophy. Take for example the few times I tried fishing out my 900 from my trouser's pocket using just 2 fingers + a thumb as I got trouble putting my whole hand into my pocket. At the moment when the 900 was out of my pocket, I was afraid it would juz slip out of my hand & crash on the floor but to my surprise, it juz hang on like glue to my fingers & thumb. There must be some secret ingredient that Nokia added to the glossy material :D
So that's my take on your query, hope its helpful & informational.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
it juz hang on like glue to my fingers & thumb. There must be some secret ingredient that Nokia added to the glossy material :D
So that's my take on your query, hope its helpful & informational.

That's kind of what I was thinking, that it would stick to your hand a little better. Glad you could confirm this. Thanks! :cool:

sherwin892

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
those who own the matte 900 or even 920, do you guys know if the matte absorbs oil or grease? I'd imagine the glossy one being easier to clean if it does.

Jaymil

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same thing with the original galaxy note. My wife had a black one with a matte back and I had a white one with the glossy back. The glossy stuck in my hand alot better.. the matte back was very slippery for me.

Using a black lumia 900 I felt the same way.. it was very slick for me. Part of it was the shape I'm sure but the matte finish made it slippery for me. I'll be getting the glossy red 920. Maybe it has something to do with how oily/dry your skin is..

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Gloss will be sticky with slightly sweaty hands, slippery with wet hands. Matte will grip more with completely dry hands because of extra friction. It really depends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro