What is an NFC SIM card and why do I need one?

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this might be a totally ignorant/noob question, but here it goes.

If a phone has NFC capabilities, do you need an NFC SIM card to use NFC?

Is NFC a technology of the phone or of the SIM card? Or is the NFC SIM card just 'more secure' than a regular SIM Card (and if so, how/why?).

If you need an NFC SIM card to use NFC, should I expect AT&T (my carrier) to give me one for free when I purchase my new phone (Lumia 920)?

I'm really trying to understand this NFC thing, it's completely new to me and I'd like to take advantage of it.

Thank you!

lucasb1

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
No, NFC is a hardware feature, just like Bluetooth. It stands for Near Field Communication. It allows you to perform operations with special tags in very close proximity. About a couple inches. Such as paying for something by putting your phone close to a pad that can read NFC info. I have no experience with NFC Sims, but you do not need one to use NFC on your phone. Hope that helps you.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
NFC simcards are used for mobile payments.

NFC itself is a whole lot of stuff which works without a special SIM... problem being most people think NFC is only for payments.

I used NFC for a year now on my bold 9900 for changing settings at work, home, car etc

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the replies.

I'd like to use the Wallet app along with NFC, so I'm thinking a secure/NFC SIM would be preferred. Although I don't know exactly what the difference is between a secure/NFC SIM and a regular one is.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, as mentioned, the NFC SIMs are often (always?) required for mobile payments are they are safer.

Sadly, theres like 0 implementations of NFC in Finland this far. It's weird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3