Major Battery Drain Incident.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Not a big deal but I thought I'd post this to stop it happening to somebody else.

I was at work today and on my morning break I was using the Sky News app. Somebody started talking to me and I forgot to exit the app. I just locked the phone. My phone had 79% battery. I went back to work and three hours later I had my dinner break. When I unlocked the phone the Sky News app was still running and I had 13% battery left!

So, it seems that the Sky News app must have been accessing either my location or just constantly checking for news updates and the phone didn't kill the app. Resulting in massive battery drain.

Lesson learnt.

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Not a big deal but I thought I'd post this to stop it happening to somebody else.

I was at work today and on my morning break I was using the Sky News app. Somebody started talking to me and I forgot to exit the app. I just locked the phone. My phone had 79% battery. I went back to work and three hours later I had my dinner break. When I unlocked the phone the Sky News app was still running and I had 13% battery left!

So, it seems that the Sky News app must have been accessing either my location or just constantly checking for news updates and the phone didn't kill the app. Resulting in massive battery drain.

Lesson learnt.
Another App that is bad is Audible.

firstness

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
This is one instance where the iOS multitasking model is superior. Even so, I thought WP8 was designed along the same lines. I guess users will need to depend on each app being programmed properly.

futurix

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
This is solved for WP8 apps - slow battery drain is now part of Store app validation and also can be measured for developers in Visual Studio.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
This is solved for WP8 apps - slow battery drain is now part of Store app validation and also can be measured for developers in Visual Studio.

So, are you saying that the Sky News app is a WP7 app running on my WP8 and still has the problem?

If so, that makes sense. They should start updating all the apps to fix this issue hopefully.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro