First time smartphone buyer - should I go Windows?

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I saw the Lumia 820 and 920 I've been wanting one. I'm a first time smartphone buyer but I've had limited experience with iOS and Android (borrowing friends' phones and such) I really love Android because it's open source and very tweakable, but I find myself rooting for WP8 because of that gorgeous interface. My question is, should I go ahead and go get a Lumia? (Especially with AT&T's crazy awesome prices right now)

I have no doubt about the hardware, it's the software I'm worried about. I love using apps, and though I'm sure the Marketplace will only get bigger, I'm a little worried that more of the popular apps will not be available (or if I can sideload apps like on Android). Also, I'm not planning on upgrading my PC to W8 and I don't own an Xbox, which is kind of making me hesitant since the company's really pushing this as a companion device that's part of the Windows 8 package.

Would this be a worth it buy for me? Or should I go with Android? I'm buying my phone on contract so I don't want to get stuck with a phone that I hate for a couple years.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
First time smartphone buyer? Absolutely Jump in my friend. But in all honestly Android sounds better for you, you like apps and tweaking.

Maybe WP8 will be up to part by the next update, they are getting there fast.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
First time smartphone buyer? Absolutely Jump in my friend. But in all honestly Android sounds better for you, you like apps and tweaking.

Maybe WP8 will be up to part by the next update, they are getting there fast.
I wish Microsoft would've released the SDK to the developers a little earlier, their phones are releasing with barely any new WP8 apps! How customizable is WP8 anyway? Aside from the Livetiles, that is. Because if I can find alternative apps to replace the stock ones the have (stock calendar, media player, etc.) I really wouldn't mind at all. I just want choices, not one app for one task that I'm stuck with.

I guess it's too soon to tell right now D:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Devices will be in the stores at week's end. I believe that WP8 is still a superior platform in many ways. Check one out in the store against the Galaxy S3. Make up your own mind, don't rely on our thoughts.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Generally speaking I wouldnt be hesitant to suggest WP to people who are new to smartphones, probably quite the opposite. But it does seem that if you like apps and tweaking, you might indeed be better off with Android or something.

Apps are bound to come over time, but the same level of openness than what Android has to offer probably wont. Funnily at the same time it's both Android's strenght and a weakness :D

palfor03

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I have had Android and iOS and WP, at the end of the day I think the differences are a matter of preference cause all I really need is an MmA app, Engadget, Pandora, sports, Facebook and a good browser. Windows phone has a lot of great services out of the box, like word and skydive support... That's important to me.
It's all about your needs and aesthetic preferences. I found that customizing my androidphone got boring and seemed like a waste of the time I spent into it. At the end of the day imo smartphones won't be replacing my computer so I just need it simple. I like the hardware windows phone 8 is coming out with.

Android is cool for custom roms and emulators but. I prefer windows phone cause I really do jus glance and go and it does simple stuff really well. If I wanna tweak stuff I will do it on my gaming rig.

Also windows 8 is awesome man, even in terms of just making the windows 7 experience even better. Its faster, more stable and you can remove metro if u don't want it. Its given life to my i3 laptop.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

justinl111

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It's nice and refreshing that you can come onto a WP site and get recommended a alternate platform as it might be better for your needs, try doing that on some other forums :)

On a serious note I have phones from all 3 platforms, from the description it sounds like Android is better for you at the moment, long term not so sure.

If you use a PC and Office eventually you will be upgrading, tbh I have been using Windows 8 since early beta and once you get to know where everything is the OS is far faster and more intuitive than Windows 7, as for Vista don't get me started! But being able to work withinsay Word in the office, have those documents instantly accessible on both your phone/Tablet/PC without you having to do any workarounds is superb.

As for side loading apps etc. If you become a developer you can of course. At the moment the app store is tiny compared to Android/IOS, this will change as all Windows Developers going forward will find it easy to convert their apps/applets to WP8 Platform. For me there are only so many apps you want to install and tweak, in the end you tend to only use a few. ALso Android is far more prone to data/security breaches because you have no idea what code has been added to that app you have just sideloaded. Just worth thinking about.

I am currently using both Android and Windows Phone Platform and like them for different reasons, however for enterprise reasons I would never recommend the Android Platform as it stands. I am currently upgrading my companies mobile phones and moving away from Blackberry's. I am giving them the choice of Iphone 5's or a WP derivative.

Anyway have fun with whatever you choose. One thing I would also say is if you decide to go down the android route, seriously consider going down the native Google route of the Nexus range such as the Nexus 4.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
But you can instantly work on office documents on android, SkyDrive is already available and office is going to be available early next year and the third party solutions are good enough.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at both platforms and see which one appeals to you. The biggest thing to think about is if there is a must have app (mine are sports related) that is not available on WP8 then go with Android.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow I'm impressed with your knowledge for never having a smartphone. Ive had smartphones since they came out and ppc's before that and I have no idea what side loading is and just recently heard the term SDK.

Why did you go so long without a smartphone?

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I will suggest first time smartphone users to WP8. They don't have a preconceived idea on how a smartphone should work, they want fuss free and lag free UI and are open to learning the small quirks of the UI on the phone they buy.

I don't think you are in that category though. But first, what apps are you most likely to play with? I think that will decide whether should you get WP8 based on promise of more apps, or Android based on the current availability.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little confused about how you've never owned a smartphone yet you know you love apps and tweeking the OS... how?

My first smartphone was/is an Android device. I'm never going back. Changing how it looks and messing with widgets and all that stuff was fun for about a month. Dealing with the constant app crashes, eternal amounts of lag, force closes, non-responsiveness, is enough for me to wipe my hands of the platform. Granted my phone is stuck on Android 2.3.4, so the newer versions may be better.

I went into it thinking I wanted all the apps and all the customization options. Now I just want a stable phone that works, and is responsive. I think WP destroys Android in that regard.

It's really up to what you want your device to do. Go play with the phones in the store and experience the OS's a bit before you decide.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm part of a family plan, so I didn't get to decide when I got a smart phone, my parents did :p

I love smartphones, so I've been doing a LOT of reading on them. Most of my experience with mobile stuff is due to my iPod touch though. iOS was just...ok. I didn't love the whole closed source thing, but for the most part I was okay with it, so I don't think Windows will be too different for me. I'd love it if there was a Cydia alternative, or even a rooting option for WP8 since I loved getting free apps. I know a lot of people don't approve of it, but it was really useful for trying out apps that I wasn't sure about purchasing.

I love game apps, but I'm willing to compromise on this in favor of an OS that isn't too prone to crashes (my jailbreaked iPod would always crash) I do want some selection of games though, preferably with paid and free ad (I don't see these much on Marketplace, at least when I looked) options. Besides that I'll probably be using the phone for web browsing and the camera, which is a really big priority for me.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of tired of the "Windows phone doesn't have enough apps" argument. They have 46 or the top 50 apps from other platforms, they also have over 120,000 apps total (and growing by about 300 per day).

I cannot fathom how the above numbers could be a deal breaker for someone. Is there really an app missing on the Windows Phone that is a 100% NEED app? I figured all of the other advantages with Windows Phone would far outweight the missing 5% apps.

120,000 apps is far more than 'doesn't have that many'. It took the iPhone to reach the 120,000 mark after about 1.5 years of being on the market.

Considering the iPhone has a vast majority of the market share both then and now, I'd say 120,000 apps for a smartphone (Windows Phone) that only has about 4% of the smartphone market share is an incredibly high number.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
To be honest it only takes one swipe upwards on the marketplace to get from the decent apps to the pure crap, and freaking Pandora won't be out until 2013. Feature phones have Pandora.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte