Htc 8 X restarts itself

scumpuppy

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I have had my 8 x restart itself twice yesterday while it was sat on my desk at work, not touching it at all, just randomly rebooted, then again a few hours later, was driving home using the maps app later in the evening and it restarted itself again, then this morning i came back from making a brew to find it restarting itself on my desk..

Not good!!!! I have raised a support ticket with HTC and will let everyone know how it goes

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Theres a seperate thread for this in the HTC 8X forum. Have had my 8x nearly a week the first few days had about 7 or 8 random reboots - not had one for two days now though. Looks like its a common problem but must just be the software/hardware updating itself. Guess its one of the glitches with new toys.

scumpuppy

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info, im uninstalling apps and games in batches to see if any are affecting it as its only just started doing it, after first 5 were uninstalled (made a note of them) it made no difference as 30mins later it restarted again, so just removed 8 more and will see if it does it again, im looking at a dirty app with some bad code probably causing it, as if it wasn't i would have expected to see reboots sooner than the 4 days it took to begin, time will tell, htc had better pull their finger out with a firmware update if it does turn out to be something they need to address as bad reputations can kill new phones :(

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if its an app issue - i havent uninstalled any have just been adding more but it seems to have stopped rebooting now - maybe the batch of updates that came through yesterday to xbox music, htc hub have sorted it

scumpuppy

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Its not done it since i removed the last 8 apps, so time will tell, i have made a note of what i removed and if it doesn't restart for the rest of the day i will add the apps back one at a time and see if any start rebooting the phone

scumpuppy

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So far so good, no restarts after removing these 8 apps, not gonna start reinstalling them until ive gone all day without a restart to be sure, but out of interest if anyone else has this issue try removing these apps if you have them and report back here if it stops the restart, we may get to see a trend of which of these 8 apps all the faulty phone owners also have, if everyone has at least one we have a winner

I removed in the second test batch the following:

Xbox Smartglass
Fruit ninja
Parachute panic
Plants vs zombies
Ae 3D motor
Flow free
Penguin
Any draw

runam0k

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'd return it (if that's not too much hassle). I haven't had the problem but I did have it with my Lumia 800 when I first got it. If nothing else, it might spur HTC to provide a firmware fix (if it is enough of a problem that a bunch of phones are returned).

scumpuppy

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if the carrier will do that, they tend to make you jump through alot of hoops before allowing you to return a phone, and if all the other people that i see online who have the same issue are anything to go by then having it replaced for another handset will only have the same issue. I think i will see how it goes today, if it doesn't restart itself by midday tomorrow then its had a good 24 hours uptime which tells me it was one of those 8 apps, i will then add them back one day at a time until it restarts itself again, im guessing its most likely smartglass or fruit ninja as the majority of people with this issue would probably have either of those apps too.. Time will tell, its out there now, so have to await the feedback from the community i guess and give this enough time to see if it reoccurs

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Agreed -- if your phone is acting weird, returning it before the retailer can give you the runaround is the best plan. If it turns out to be a bad unit, you'll be saving yourself a lot of trouble.

Stenson82

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with a new HTC 8x, and after reading this thread and the apps scumpuppy removed in the 2nd batch removed Xbox Smartglass which was the only common app.

So far no reboots in the past 24hrs but not getting over excited yet...

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Have had no reboots for 3 days now and havent uninstalled anything. I think the bug fixes that came through for xbox music and the htc app must have solved the problem

Byron Hinson

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Had the phone since monday and had numerous reboots - may try uninstalling Xbox Smartglass myself - got to admit after having an HTC One X with numerous issues I'm wondering it its just HTC's poor engineering or the WP8 software

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The weird thing here is that unless you're running SmartGlass in the background, its presence alone shouldn't cause reboots. AFAIK it doesn't run a background process on its own.

Ty Xanders

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since the 2nd, the very first batch released.
I've never installed Glass, but getting a fair few random restarts, most of the time it's when the keyboard pops up but the first few times it has been during anything.
I'm glad other people are experiencing it, cause i really did think it was just me, hopefully something gets announced sooner rather than later. :(.
I would send it back but i don't even know what to say. "at random times doing stuff it'll just restart" right that's believeable

Stenson82

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Had another 2 reboots in the past 24hrs not related to SmartGlass at all. Must just be a buggy HTC implementation of WP8 that we will have to wait for them to patch.

ArcticUK

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
My HTC 8X rebooted itself about 7 times yesterday. Doesn't appear to be Smart Glass related as that app was unistalled earlier in the week when the phone was rebooting two or three times day.

I'm guessing, due to the fact that Lumia 920s are getting this issue as well, that it is WP8 software and not hardware related.

scumpuppy

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I had another issue after the random restarts, all of a sudden i couldn't wake my display with the power button, its was as it the phone was totally dead! As u cant pop out the battery i saw the only thing to do was press and hold the power button, after 30 seconds still nothing! So left it, a minute later it vibrated, then a large white exclamation mark in the middle of the screen appeared with a black background, it stayed on this white exclamation mark for a good minute, then it restarted itself and came back to life, that did it for me, clearly there's an issue with the handset so i rang O2 and arranged for it to be replaced within the 28day fault replace policy.. I had my replacement arrive next day, currently using it for 2 days with no restarts.

On another note, i logged a support ticket with HTC and had a poor response from their tech support, so I complained on HTC's forum, next thing a HTC manager rings me apologising, couldn't do enough for me, really appreciated the phone call so have say, fair play there HTC, even though ive had the phone replaced he wanted to make sure all was ok, which for now, it is.. Just installed all my apps and games and will wait and see if it restarts itself again!

scumpuppy

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Just to update everyone on this issue

phone has started doing this again a week after getting the replacement, looking around forums lots of people are having this issue not just on HTC 8 X phones but also on new lumia handsets, so it looks to be a WP8 issue

hope an update comes out soon to fix this because i will be sending the phone back and going back to android if this isnt resolved sharpish!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium