How will NFC work with those on prepaid networks like Straight Talk...?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I will be picking up a 920 for use on Straight Talk, but since NFC will be carrier dependent, how will that work? Will you be forced to sign a contract to use NFC now...? Also, will the NFC work without an app (like Google Wallet has to be installed to pay for things) or will you simply be able to use the Wallet App itself to pay for things (like at a gas station with an NFC station)?

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Really.....no one has the answer to this? This will make or break whether I can pick up a Windows Phone 8 device to use on Straight Talk....
Well, technically, the Lumia 920 will not be in anyone's hands until tomorrow, so....

Why don't you just chance the purchase, and test the functionality yourself? You'll have 14 days to return the device if it doesn't perform to your standards.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, technically, the Lumia 920 will not be in anyone's hands until tomorrow, so....

Why don't you just chance the purchase, and test the functionality yourself? You'll have 14 days to return the device if it doesn't perform to your standards.

If I purchase it outright...? I'm not going to sign a contract for it, but only want to use it through Straight Talk...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have want insight on this? I would like to pick up a Lumia 820. What would be nice is if Microsoft offered the secure SIM element from their own shops for respective carrier. For example, they would have an ATT secure NFC SIM without having to sign a contract for the SIM through ATT.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I thought that the secure sim just authenticates the user, not a carrier billing transaction. if the case, ST should be able to issue their own secure sim once the isis folks get their head out of their ass.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I thought that the secure sim just authenticates the user, not a carrier billing transaction. if the case, ST should be able to issue their own secure sim once the isis folks get their head out of their ass.
So, as I understand it, there has to be a secure SIM card you put into the phone for the Wallet feature to open up? When I tested Wallet at the AT&T store, there was nothing I could do with it. I'm assuming this is because of the secure SIM, or do you need to insert the secure SIM as you are making an NFC purchase at a gas station, for example?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no you can use Wallet right now to store numbers and such, you just can't pay with it. Also, as apps like Groupon come along they will store offers in Wallet. To make an actual payment you would need an ISIS SIM.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
no you can use Wallet right now to store numbers and such, you just can't pay with it. Also, as apps like Groupon come along they will store offers in Wallet. To make an actual payment you would need an ISIS SIM.

So basically, that locks out UK users like myself correct?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no i thought every other place besides the US would get NFC payments enabled without ISIS. ISIS is just for US 920s because we have a cabal of carriers here who think they should be the middle man for all mobile payments. I have no idea how NFC payment works outside US

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
no i thought every other place besides the US would get NFC payments enabled without ISIS. ISIS is just for US 920s because we have a cabal of carriers here who think they should be the middle man for all mobile payments. I have no idea how NFC payment works outside US

So what about those of us like me who are in the UK and then visit the US taking our International Unlocked GSM Lumia with us? Will we still be able to use our system or would we then need an ISIS SIM?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So what about those of us like me who are in the UK and then visit the US taking our International Unlocked GSM Lumia with us? Will we still be able to use our system or would we then need an ISIS SIM?
If like me you get a EE locked Lumia, you are out of luck. But if you are going to wait out and then shell out ?550+ to get a truly unlocked one, then sure you can pop in a ISIS SIM!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If like me you get a EE locked Lumia, you are out of luck. But if you are going to wait out and then shell out ?550+ to get a truly unlocked one, then sure you can pop in a ISIS SIM!

I'm likely getting mine from CPW. Which means truly unlocked. Shamefully Tesco aren't selling them commitment-free, else I would buy from there and get their insurance. I'll ask at the Bradford store.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720