Windows Phone 8 a viable option for me?

PDFierro3

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I was very excited about it when it was announced in June, but then I kind of forgot about it. I said back then I would wait until the WP8 devices came out to get a smartphone, so here I am full-circle. Although I have strongly considered iOS and Android since then.

I've been stuck on the middle on what smartphone OS to get. I need transit directions, and I know third-party apps are good with Apple Maps, and Google obviously knows what they are doing.

I'm thinking about pre-ordering the Nokia Lumia 822 tomorrow, I'm on Verizon. You can only get the Nokia apps, such as Transport, on a Nokia phone? Does anyone have experience with Nokia Maps? Their transit apps looks really awesome and simple.

Windows Phone 8 + Nokia looks really appealing to me, so I'm leaning towards doing that. Would I be making a mistake by choosing this OS? Everything looks great from the OS/start screen to things like Nokia Transport, assuming it's as good as it looks.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
If navigation and public transport apps are a big priority for you then a Nokia is likely the best choice of any platform. Nokia Drive + Transport is arguably the best nav system on a smartphone platform period. Nokia Drive is essentially baked into all WP8 devices, but they are adding features that will only be on Lumia's and calling it Drive+. And Transport is exclusive to Lumia's. As is City Lens, the augmented reality view finder.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if you can install Nokia apps on non-Nokia WP8 phones, but I have used the Transit app on my 900 and my 920 and it is very accurate. Nokia maps is also very very good. Maybe not quite as good as Google Maps, but certainly ahead of Apple's maps app. Nokia Maps has found everything I've thrown at it so far.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
PDF, perhaps I can answer your question about "AM I making a mistake going with WP OS?"

I have had a Palm Pre, HTC Arrive (Mango WP on Sprint), and now an iPhone 5 on Verizon. I am dumping iPhone 5 as soon as I can get to a VZ store and get an 8x. I've had this iPhone since the launch. Its my first one. Its nice, but I got so use to the fluidity of my WP (Arrive) it has spoiled me with the i5. Perhaps the Palm pre killed it for me. The iPhone makes me feel like I went back in time. After all, my pre had screen after screen of icons too. As for Android, yes I have tried them all, I have a Xoom tablet with ICS. Its buggy. It allows me to consume my reading habit with out being tied to a PC. So after using and experiencing them all... I find myself coming back to WP.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've used both Nokia Maps and Nokia Transport on my Lumia 900 for driving and bus/train. Both worked great on my device, which is WP7.5.

I would expect that these apps would be even better on a WP8 device. Some folks have already gotten new WP8 Lumias, so hopefully they will try out Nokia Maps and Nokia Transport and maybe even do a comparison between the WP7.5 and WP8 versions.

PDFierro3

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm actually going with the 8X, but there seem to be some good apps for public transit. Hopefully Nokia will get rid of the exclusivity on their apps, but if not then oh well.

I had a Zune HD a few years ago, so should be easy to pick up.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I havnt used the Transit, but if I was allowed to choose any navigation system on smartphones, I wouldn't have to think twice about picking Nokia's navigation service.

futurix

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I think it all depends on exact requirements - for example if you are in London, there are much better public transport apps out there than Nokia stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb