Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read a few questions I have. As the title says, I'm ditching iOS for Windows Phone 8 (Nokia 920) and, since I'm new to the OS, have a few questions as to how some things work. I apologize in advance if some of the questions sound a bit naive.

1. Can I still use iTunes to sync my music? Don't I have to download something to be able to use iTunes?

2. SkyDrive is only available for OS X Lion and I have Snow Leopard. Is there anyway to still use SkyDrive or a similar program for Cloud storage?

3. Can I still use iPhoto to sync my pictures? I would assume so, but wanted to check.

That's all I have for now, thanks for all the help!
    11-08-2012 09:49 PM
    Download the Windows Phone Connector for Mac to sync your Music & Photos. They work with iPhoto and iTunes. I can't touch on Skydrive as I run Mountain Lion. What's keeping you from upgrading to Lion?
    11-08-2012 09:58 PM
    Download the Windows Phone Connector for Mac to sync your Music & Photos. They work with iPhoto and iTunes. I can't touch on Skydrive as I run Mountain Lion. What's keeping you from upgrading to Lion?
    Thanks for the help. I guess nothing is really keeping me from upgrading to Lion. I just don't need it, really.
    11-08-2012 10:01 PM
    Thanks for the help. I guess nothing is really keeping me from upgrading to Lion. I just don't need it, really.
    Well it looks like you'll need it for SkyDrive if you go that route, LOL!
    11-09-2012 12:51 PM
    You can always use the sky drive web interface!
    11-09-2012 01:42 PM
    Or you can upgrade from OS X to Windows 8 on your Mac... :)
    aubreyq likes this.
    11-09-2012 02:13 PM
    i just switched from an iphone 4 to a lumia 920.

and being a mac person myself i figure i would answer those questions

"1. Can I still use iTunes to sync my music? Don't I have to download something to be able to use iTunes?

2. SkyDrive is only available for OS X Lion and I have Snow Leopard. Is there anyway to still use SkyDrive or a similar program for Cloud storage?

3. Can I still use iPhoto to sync my pictures? I would assume so, but wanted to check.

That's all I have for now, thanks for all the help!"

1. no but the sync app will transfer your whole itunes music library, in fact it looks alot like the sync thing from itunes. so it will be very familiar and easy to use. you can download the app from the mac app store.

2. you can still use skydrive as a backup on your phone without using it on your computer. but if the app doesn't work then you will be limited to the web interface on your mac's browser.

3. yes. and if you have aperture you can use that.. the mac sync app will let you use either aperture or iphoto.

hope that helps. i have only just got my lumia 920 today, and i am loving it. windows phone 8 is pretty cool. though i just noticed the skype app hasn't been released. apparently microsoft has said soon, and it's supposed to be really good.

loving the maps app. nokia drive is nice. though it does say beta on it.

after coming from an iphone 4 i was unprepared for the speed of the browser. WOW im not sure if it's just the browser and this phone, or lte.. but webpages pop like instantly.

one thing i did have a bit of trouble getting my contacts transferred. found an app for a dollar on the apple app store called ab2csv that will export your contacts to CSV file. but outlook.com can't read the file... so i imported them into google's gmail. then exported the contacts a second time from Gmail to another CSV that outlook.com WOULD read, and then magically my contacts were transferred.. that was the hardest part to get working.
    11-09-2012 11:53 PM
    Oh I wanted to say one other thing. The sync app transferred all my album artwork too
    11-10-2012 12:55 AM
    Actually it would have been easier to transfer contacts through google sync!
    11-10-2012 01:20 AM
    I use Microsoft Outlook.com/Hotmail contacts, and they work GREAT.
    11-10-2012 01:23 AM
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everybody.

I think the solution to all my problems is to just upgrade OS X. Without Lion or ML, I can't use SkyDrive or the sync program. I was able to easily transfer my contacts through Facebook.

I'm liking WP8 pretty good; but there is a lot of things go get used to. My biggest complaint so far (and really I guess this is a minor issue) is typing. I make a ton more of mistakes WP8 and have to go back and correct words that iOS automatically corrected for me.

The Nokia Lumia 920 is pretty sweet, but I do think the camera was overhyped. It's certainly good in lowlight, but most pictured I find under-saturated or too yellow tinted.
    11-10-2012 04:01 PM
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everybody.

I think the solution to all my problems is to just upgrade OS X. Without Lion or ML, I can't use SkyDrive or the sync program. I was able to easily transfer my contacts through Facebook.

I'm liking WP8 pretty good; but there is a lot of things go get used to. My biggest complaint so far (and really I guess this is a minor issue) is typing. I make a ton more of mistakes WP8 and have to go back and correct words that iOS automatically corrected for me.

The Nokia Lumia 920 is pretty sweet, but I do think the camera was overhyped. It's certainly good in lowlight, but most pictured I find under-saturated or too yellow tinted.
    well you can use that feature in the keyboard. it predicts and learns as you type words. meaning you don't have to type that much and corrects
    11-10-2012 04:07 PM
    Another question: Is there no 'back' button for the web browser? I know there is the back button for the phone, but say I'm surfing the web, get a text (open the messaging app), and then go back to my web page and then want to go to the previous webpage? I keep finding myself on an internet forum and then closing out the browser, re-opening it, and then wanting to back out of that thread to the homescreen of the forum... but can't.
    11-10-2012 07:08 PM
    Another question: Is there no 'back' button for the web browser? I know there is the back button for the phone, but say I'm surfing the web, get a text (open the messaging app), and then go back to my web page and then want to go to the previous webpage? I keep finding myself on an internet forum and then closing out the browser, re-opening it, and then wanting to back out of that thread to the homescreen of the forum... but can't.
    dude. the phone back button is the back button for the web browser
    11-10-2012 07:15 PM
    dude. the phone back button is the back button for the web browser
    Not if you leave the browser and then go back in. Like the example I described, the browser is open on an internet forum home screen. I click a thread. Someone texts me and I go read it. I go back into the browser, finish reading the thread and want to go back to the home screen. Hitting the "Back" button would take me to the messaging app. Perhaps I'm missing something?
    11-10-2012 07:22 PM
    In that situation, you finish reading the message, hit "back" to go back to the web browser, then hit "back" again to go backwards once you're in the browser.
    11-10-2012 11:20 PM
    Ugh! Yep, this is definitely my biggest complaint so far. The browser needs a "back" button.. ya know.. like every single browser in all of history does!

I'm using the internet. Close it out and start doing some other things. Later, go back to the internet and want to resume browsing from where I left off.. but to get back to the previous webpage (I can't hit "back" on the phone because it will take me to my last open app... I'd have to hit "...", "recent", then the link. Such and unnecessary hassle, imo.
    11-11-2012 10:28 AM
    You can also just tap menu --> recent and go back that way.
    11-11-2012 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD