Skype/Whatsapp/Kik limitations with less than 1GB RAM?

davide445

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to understand if I just made a mistake pre-ordering a HTC 8S.

With 512MB RAM I expected can't run heavy app such as games or so, but I wasn't concerned about social apps.

Now I read these newer worked well on wp7 256MB phones, may I expect the same problems with a not so basic 8S?

I try to search on the net but I can't find any real information, maybe it's too early to know.

davide445

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Worked good on my L900.
Here

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/start/whats-new-in-windows-phone

state that "Some apps and features won't work on phones with less than 1 GB of RAM".

Searching appear that live social apps that use a lot of background task such as Skype can be affected.
In fact they never worked well (or here is someone that can share different experiences?) on basic specs phones such as Lumia 610, and even if 8S is superior in many ways he share the lowest specs in term of RAM.

So may I expect that being 512MB the new low end limit that these apps may have problems? Maybe being L900 the flagship phone since last year there was a careful attempt to give at least for him all working apps, a care not shared with mid-low end devices.

davide445

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Here

Nokia Support Discussions - Issues with Lumia 610 - Nokia Support Discussions

it's a discussion on Lumia 610 that in point 1 state my biggest concern about low end phones such as 8s, that being not so low spec as 610 it's still the only wp8 phone with less than 1gb ram.

Searching appear also that L610 was not implementing background agent that allow apps under wp7 yo run background tasks: was what true? Can be the same on wp8 or its a completely different design?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
And also here

Skype and the Nokia Lumia 610: Here's the current situation. (Video) | Windows Phone Central

my second concern is: if Nokia is working to resolve problems for his customers even for low end phones, may I expect the same from HTC? The Nokia wp market share give here a strong position against sw companies, that HTC also will not have.

Don't expect the same. Nokia IMO doesn't have a contingency plan if WP fails.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

davide445

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm strating to be really concerned with my choice...
Just reading also the Marketplace feedback for new version of Facebook apps, (released 10/27 from MS itself, so in theory optimized and used only on the available flagship wp8 devices) and the situation appear to be not so good: no updates, freezing tiles...
Skype has yet to be released, Whatsapp no new versions...
I also read about YouTube app: a link to mobile website in 2012??

Just to know for the same price and with almost the same specs I can buy a used as new iPhone 4, where all this stuff will work without any problem.
I will just wait some more days since my 8S will arrive at the end of November, but if I will see no app improvement also for much better phones such as L920 or 8X I will seriously consider to cancel my pre-order.

Sad to say that, I really like the idea to make a "original" and also beautiful choice, but don't like the idea to pass my time assisting my wife with stability problems of standard apps, that need to work as a basic starting point.

davide445

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm feeling a bit better...

To be fear I searched also for Facebook, Skype, Whatsapp on iOS and Android marketplace.

The result is that FB app seems to don't work so good also on these platforms, same also for Skype. Whatsapp received mixed review.

So I'm not sure about the real situation, either marketplace reviews are not to be trusted or social apps are always with some problems on mobile devices.

At the end I will thrust things will improve, still remain concerned about ram limitations. Will see the reality, the new phone can arrive in 8 days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb