Why should I upgrade from Android to WP? (Note II or 8X)

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I can only think of a few reasons.

1. Prettier apps.

2. Simplicity (doesn't matter much to me).

3. How it takes less steps to complete a task.

And that's it. I used the Note II today and it is very fluid a smooth, just like the Lumia 920 that I tried out. So I can't say the smoothness is an advantage.

Today at the mall a Sprint worker came up to me to convince me to switch, and I said that they don't have any WP8 devices. He said that WP lacks apps, the advantages don't outweigh the disadvantages, etc.

And I've been thinking a lot recently. Should I really upgrade to WP? Why?

homegeek

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

1. Prettier apps.

And that's it. I used the Note II today and it is very fluid a smooth, just like the Lumia 920 that I tried out. So I can't say the smoothness is an advantage.

Today at the mall a Sprint worker came up to me to convince me to switch, and I said that they don't have any WP8 devices. He said that WP lacks apps, the advantages don't outweigh the disadvantages, etc.

And I've been thinking a lot recently. Should I really upgrade to WP? Why?

Best answer, don't upgrade! If you really need to be convinced then you do not really want it.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the 920 and plan on getting the Nexus 4 as soon as it is available for comparison. I'll return whichever I don't like as much.

My answer to your question/concern is simple. WP8 as an OS (to me) is smoother and stays that way for a lot longer than Android does. Obviously Android doesn't slow as much as it used to but still does. Android though is so far ahead app wise. While I do think that will change over time, right now it might be the reason I return the 920. Honestly, I wasn't expecting WP8 to be missing a number of WP7 apps so that turned me off a bit. It really comes down to if you need certain apps right now.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If you like Android and it doesn't bother you and you see no benefit to Windows Phone, then I don't know what to tell you.

Personally I hated every Android device I tried. I've found it to be less than reliable and the interface inconsistencies between apps and general clutter are irritating. Way more features than I need or will use and it sacrifices precious simplicity to get there.

Think of Android as a bustling city downtown area. Noisy, chaotic, dirty but lots of things to do, tons of blinking lights to capture your attention. You'll never be bored or run out of new forms of stimulation, though you may get lost or mugged or have your place burgled.

Think of Windows Phone as a Zen rock garden. Simple. Peaceful. Quiet. Balanced. It quiets the noise in your head and the commotion and overstimulation in your life instead of adding to it.

You either "get it" or you don't. If you need to be convinced, it's probably not right for you.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I perfectly understand. My Galaxy Nexus lags, it's what I'm gonna say. After using the Note II, it is very smooth, but I don't know whether that smoothness will still stay in 3 months. I'll definitely try out the WP ecosystem, but I'm not excited for it like I was one month ago. Weird.

The hardware of the Note II is what's really bringing me to it, but my heart is still saying WP. So that's what I'm gonna try out...

Jojogill

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The whole "not as many apps" thing has been beaten like a dead horse. What excuse will they come up with when WP surpasses both Android and iPhone in apps totals? The fact of the matter is this. WP phone provides a unique form of customization that lets you personalize your device like never before. You'll have a phone that's an extension of yourself, not 100 homepages like iPhone or Android. Another thing I want to point out is that the mobile/tablet-PC future lies with Microsoft's OS and not with Android. The connectivity across all of Microsoft's products will be so smooth and seamless and that's not something to take lightly. Do your research. Go to different carriers and see how the OS works for you. Look at minute details and make your decision off of that. Don't make your decision off of what one salesperson from Sprint said.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
The whole "not as many apps" thing has been beaten like a dead horse. What excuse will they come up with when WP surpasses both Android and iPhone in apps totals? The fact of the matter is this. WP phone provides a unique form of customization that lets you personalize your device like never before. You'll have a phone that's an extension of yourself, not 100 homepages like iPhone or Android. Another thing I want to point out is that the mobile/tablet-PC future lies with Microsoft's OS and not with Android. The connectivity across all of Microsoft's products will be so smooth and seamless and that's not something to take lightly. Do your research. Go to different carriers and see how the OS works for you. Look at minute details and make your decision off of that. Don't make your decision off of what one salesperson from Sprint said.
Oh I'm certainly not making my decision from what the Sprint person said. He's the stupidest person I have talked to in WEEKS. I've been reconsidering Windows Phone 8 days before, and he certainly did not change one thing. Lack of apps is concerning me definitely, even though you don't "see" it. I was using this site uship.com and they have an iPhone app and an Android app, but not WP app. It's disappointing. I use this popular car auction site manheim.com and again, an app for both but not for WP. No Instagram for WP. No Dropbox for WP (yet apparently.)

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Lack of apps is already concerning me. But the point of how more and more apps are being exclusive to Nokia Lumia phones only, is really really pissing me the **** off.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
One word: ecosystem.

I carry Android devices (Nexus 7, Moto Atrix HD) and Windows devices (920), and use Win8 computers, and have an XBox360. I prefer Android for the Google integration and customization, but I like Windows just because it plain works.

Best thing I can say is play with a WP8 device. Microsoft stores or corporate AT&T stores are going to have demos that are functional and let you play with them.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I perfectly understand. My Galaxy Nexus lags, it's what I'm gonna say. After using the Note II, it is very smooth, but I don't know whether that smoothness will still stay in 3 months. I'll definitely try out the WP ecosystem, but I'm not excited for it like I was one month ago. Weird.

The hardware of the Note II is what's really bringing me to it, but my heart is still saying WP. So that's what I'm gonna try out...

That's my biggest problem with Android and all the devices I've had (OG Droid, Droid X, Incredible 2). They start out fine, but then a couple of months down the road when you've loaded a handful of apps and games, the darn thing starts to lag. It's not terrible lag most of the time, but enough to get my underwear twisted up. Sometimes though, it's slow enough to make me think I'm using an old Windows mobile device! :D

With my Trophy, it's the same today as the day I got it after adding several apps and games. Nothing has changed in regards to speed and lag (or lack thereof).

The final point no one has hit on yet as far as the Note 2 or 920, it's $200 freaking more dollars! Not a huge amount by no stretch, but it has to account for something. :lol:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The problem with Android is that the OS "rots" over time. One rogue app (often from the OEM) can cause your phone to freeze or crash multiple times per day (as my GS3 was doing). WP is smooth and super-reliable.

I've only had my WP8 phone for a few hours, but it is like a Maserati compared to my Galaxy S III Corolla. ;)

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
1. Prettier apps.

And that's it. Should I really upgrade to WP? Why?
If "it's prettier, easier, and more efficient" isn't a motivator for you, then you shouldn't switch. One of the guys who I work with has an HTC Evo 3D. He complains about it all the time, reboots, etc. I complain about a lot of things, but my phone isn't one of them. He "can't" switch to Windows Phone because he needs Google Voice and Swype. All I know is that I get I my email consistently, my battery never dies mid-day, and I don't have to restart my phone to restore performance. The fact that it's prettier, easier, and more efficient is just icing on the cake or all-around reliability.

That said, you will give up some control and will need to endure a smaller ecosystem. The latter problem will likely shrink as WP8 and Win8 gain traction and one can leverage the other. Still, if you are actually bound by some apps and features that you can't get, don't move. If you want to be the system administrator of your phone, don't move. If you aren't bound to the ecosystem and you just want to use your phone, consider what switching gains and costs you.

Maybe we'll see you at the pretty, easy, and efficient camp.

Last edited:

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the whole "ecosystem" angle is overblown. How many apps do people actually use? Also why use an app if the phone does the same thing built in? Remember WP has deep social media integration (for example) baked in. So who cares if it has a great Facebook app when the phone does all I need to do on FB without an app?

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
The whole reason about how Android "rots" overtime is why I always ranted on Android one month ago. But using the Note II today it is just a fluid OS, and I don't think it will "rot" overtime when it has a quad-core processor and 2GBs of RAM, IMO.

What I find weird is that my phone lags, but everyone else who I talk to who have Android have "never seen lag." Just surprises me...

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the whole "ecosystem" angle is overblown. How many apps do people actually use? Also why use an app if the phone does the same thing built in? Remember WP has deep social media integration (for example) baked in. So who cares if it has a great Facebook app when the phone does all I need to do on FB without an app?
Ahem Instagram isn't built in :p

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
But using the Note II today it is just a fluid OS, and I don't think it will "rot" overtime when it has a quad-core processor and 2GBs of RAM, IMO.

Just don't be blind thinking it won't lag a few months from now even though it has top specs today. They were saying the same thing a year ago when those phones were released, and those phones now lag. ;)

It's the main reason why I don't mind the semi-locked nature of WP. Those rogue apps are killing the Android experience and it seems as if Google almost encourages it with their woeful lack of policing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb