Custom ringtone for text messages

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
This may have been asked already but this is my first wp. Is there a way to create a custom ringtone for texts in wp8? Thanks.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I wrote a thread very similar to this last night in the developer forum regarding email but this is basically the same request. I wonder if the option can be written by 3rd party devolopers or if it must be baked into the OS. It should not be difficult to implement. Just add fields to the contact card for SMS and email sounds. I will miss this on my BlackBerry when I buy the 810 later this week. This feature would allow us to know who is texting/emailing us without having to look at your phone. It is very important to me and quite honestly I'm not sure it is a feature I could ever get used to not having. Come on developers ;)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If you go to settings>ringtones+sounds in there is the option to change your "New text or IM" sound from a bunch of options. I don't know how you would put a custom sound within the notifications folder, though.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
If you go to settings>ringtones+sounds in there is the option to change your "New text or IM" sound from a bunch of options. I don't know how you would put a custom sound within the notifications folder, though.

I think OP meant you get a specific sound when Jeremy texts you and a different sound when Nancy texts you. You can do this in BlackBerry and Android with SMS and email but not in WP8. I wonder if this can be implemented by developers or if it must be baked into the OS.

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I love my Lumia 820. I moved from Blackberry and this is my ONLY real annoyance. I monitored 6 different mailboxes, ALL with custom sounds on the Blackberry, so a simple task is now an awkward one on the Lumia. I really hope they sort this as its such a basic function on most phones nowadays.

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
you can create your own tones and assign them on a per contact basis...but that only applies to phone calls from that person

this doesn't apple to texts/emails though.

stevaside

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm new to WP & just noticed this myself...Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me to not be able to choose a custom text tone.I don't remember any phone that wasn't able to do that..even like 10 years ago....

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm new to WP & just noticed this myself...Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me to not be able to choose a custom text tone.I don't remember any phone that wasn't able to do that..even like 10 years ago....

You can do this now. When you edit a contact, you have an option to choose a unique ringtone, or text tone for each person. I am also less than a week into WP, but I have this option on my Lumia Icon.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

You can do this now. When you edit a contact, you have an option to choose a unique ringtone, or text tone for each person. I am also less than a week into WP, but I have this option on my Lumia Icon.

Please note that this feature was introduced in GDR3 so make sure you're on GDR3 already to use it ;)

bolsi

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Making your own custom ringtone or text tone for Windows Phone 8 is very easy. You do need to do this on a PC though.
Download Windows Phone App for desktop here

Plug your phone into the PC with the USB cable.
Make sure you place the MP3 files you wanna use inside Music folder within library on the PC.
Open Windows Phone App for desktop and select PC, click ringtone, mark the files you wanna transfer and click sync.
All done

The tones will be transferred and will now show up inside Ringtone and Text tone under "Custom"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism