Live tile wasted space?

mleone47

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys!
So I was reading a forum over at the verge, and someone was complaining about the messaging tile in wp8. They were saying how it doesn't actually show the whole text, and just continues on. As for the messaging and email tiles. As you can see in this photo

http://i45.tinypic.com/11uvm6f.jpg

I do not have my windows phone yet (gotta wait for the 8x on tmobile) so I was wondering if anyone who has gotten windows phone 8 recently has noticed this, or even has this problem? Please let me know because that would be really stupid if it does. Let me know And also tell me how your phones are! any one liking the 920? or 8x? I want to know cause I really want the 8x!
Enjoy your night! and hopefully this was just a prototype picture and not an actual occurring thing in wp8!

-Mike

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes it does do that.

As for whether it's wasted space, that debatable and depends on who you ask. Remember the "gutter" from WP7? Some people actually liked it (saying it was negative space and good design or something like that), while others called it "wasted space."

ysaletore

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Scrolling Live Tiles

I have to agree, the space does seem wasted. I'd prefer to see more of the message, and perhaps more importantly: more than one message if I have one.

It would be really nice if:
1) Live Tiles would scroll, that is show one update, then scroll down to the next one. Really handy when you get multiple text messages or emails and you want to just glance at them in quick succession without opening up the apps

2) Show updates on the medium tiles. I've expanded all my tiles to the new large tile to be able to see updates, but it isn't impossible to show updates on the medium tile, at least (WPCentral app does). Maybe not the full message, but who it's from would be nice. Something better than just the number.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
There is white space and there is wasted space. That is an example of wasted space. They cannot even text reflow their live tiles? Is this maybe because its the messaging tile and not email? What does the email tile look like?

mleone47

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
There is white space and there is wasted space. That is an example of wasted space. They cannot even text reflow their live tiles? Is this maybe because its the messaging tile and not email? What does the email tile look like?

This is exactly what I was thinking! its kind of dumb and hopefully they will fix it soon!

mleone47

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Scrolling Live Tiles

I have to agree, the space does seem wasted. I'd prefer to see more of the message, and perhaps more importantly: more than one message if I have one.

It would be really nice if:
1) Live Tiles would scroll, that is show one update, then scroll down to the next one. Really handy when you get multiple text messages or emails and you want to just glance at them in quick succession without opening up the apps

2) Show updates on the medium tiles. I've expanded all my tiles to the new large tile to be able to see updates, but it isn't impossible to show updates on the medium tile, at least (WPCentral app does). Maybe not the full message, but who it's from would be nice. Something better than just the number.

Yeah that would be neat, especially for multiple messages or even events! (calendar app) and yeah they increased the size of the medium tile that they cant fit updates in it. I agree​

progress.gif

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been complaining about that since WP7. The issue is the same with news apps that show headlines, the text is just cut off. When I approched developers about it they said they only had one font size to use so couldn't use smaller fonts to avoid that nonsense. The only place where it wasn't happening was the Me tile as it was using a font small enough to show an entire tweet or facebook post.
Developers need to complain as much as consumers on this one in my opinion, that's just ridiculous. Glance and go, really?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't have a problem with it. Generally speaking there is enough information there for me to know whether I actually care to read it now, or leave it for later. I don't think it was ever really meant to have you reading the body of your mail right from the live tile. That said, I am all about choices and would be happy to see more people using live tiles the way they want to use them.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The Calendar tile is in the same class. When set to large it can easily show the next 2 appointments or even 3 if the location is not used.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo