Android 2 WP8 Switch. The Apps Overview

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Stuck with Photon 4Gs at Gingerbread, I decided to take the plunge to Windows Phone 8. I am pleasantly surprised by the fluid and responsive UI and a quality OS under the hood. Nokia Lumia 920, though little bulky, is a very good device.

I ran a comparison of apps that I will miss due to this switch and came up with this list. I used 'Zemna AppList Backup' on Android and imported the resulting file into Excel. I then rated the useability of each app (Disclaimer: as it relates to me only) and came up with the attached result. Ofcourse, FlipBoard, Instagram and Google Drive are the heavy hitters. But, this might also result in I being less productive on the tech front -- which is perfectly fine :)

anon(5327207)

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok So I am assume like me you left Sprint for ATT, since Sprint does not have any WP8 devices and you are not trolling.....

Ok so many of your Apps are Google Related. Start using SkyDrive. It is 10 times better. Combined with Windows 8, many headaches are gone.

SKype is in Beta, and you are get if now if you want.

Drive and Google Maps, inferior to the Nokia. Just try them.

For your Taximagic try Nokia Transit

The Banking and Airline Apps will come... USAA is already there for me.

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok So I am assume like me you left Sprint for ATT, since Sprint does not have any WP8 devices and you are not trolling.....

Ok so many of your Apps are Google Related. Start using SkyDrive. It is 10 times better. Combined with Windows 8, many headaches are gone.

SKype is in Beta, and you are get if now if you want.

Drive and Google Maps, inferior to the Nokia. Just try them.

For your Taximagic try Nokia Transit

The Banking and Airline Apps will come... USAA is already there for me.

That is correct. I waited for Sprint to carry a decent Windows Phone for almost 2 years and they still aren't there. Photon was my stop-gap device, and now that ICS/JB upgrade is killed, the device has hit its lifespan for me.

I updated my list that Skype is now out.

Nokia Transit won't allow me to reserve a cab. I haven't found a useful compareable app to it yet. But, I can live without it for now. :)

I am a heavy Google Apps users, so Google docs integration with Google+ is a big hit. But, I will just spend a little more time off my handset because on this. Good move probably. :D

Keeping my fingers crossed for mint.com.

Thanks !

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Mint - Will PageOnce be a viable alternative?

What do you mean by "3"-"Nice to Have. Will Miss them". Does that mean that the app is not available, but you won't miss it? YouTube is one of the apps.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
They honestly need to port YNAB to Windows Phone, which is light years ahead of what you can do with Mint. Pageonce is a good alternative if you just want to keep track of spending and get bill reminders.

Right now I'm working on moving my files from Dropbox over to Skydrive. I'll miss the 135GB of storage that I have with them, most of which is free, but I've had my issues with the service and two or more members of their support staff over the last six months to not make it tempting to keep my services with them.

When as a mobile user you can integrate OneNote and other Office apps in with Skydrive and actively edit and update files you use personally and professionally the benefts of Windows Phone really do come to the forefront. You aren't going to get that seamless transition with Android - Drive on Android still links you to Docs for online editing. I'm all for cloud services - I use them and support them monetarily - but if you aren't connected you need a fully featured desktop or mobile client that can work off the network.

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mint - Will PageOnce be a viable alternative?

What do you mean by "3"-"Nice to Have. Will Miss them". Does that mean that the app is not available, but you won't miss it? YouTube is one of the apps.

I am heavily hooked to mint since they launched. I think a WP app is in making and should be out soon.

3 refers to apps that would be 'nice to have' but not a drag for me to switch to another eco-system. Some apps does have alternatives on WP8 and some don't. I am also just fine with those not on my phone anymore.

wenogg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I am heavily hooked to mint since they launched. I think a WP app is in making and should be out soon.

3 refers to apps that would be 'nice to have' but not a drag for me to switch to another eco-system. Some apps does have alternatives on WP8 and some don't. I am also just fine with those not on my phone anymore.
I am running a beta for a 3rd party Mint app called Money Thyme. The details:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/developers-beta-testing/199603.htm

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They honestly need to port YNAB to Windows Phone, which is light years ahead of what you can do with Mint. Pageonce is a good alternative if you just want to keep track of spending and get bill reminders.

Right now I'm working on moving my files from Dropbox over to Skydrive. I'll miss the 135GB of storage that I have with them, most of which is free, but I've had my issues with the service and two or more members of their support staff over the last six months to not make it tempting to keep my services with them.

When as a mobile user you can integrate OneNote and other Office apps in with Skydrive and actively edit and update files you use personally and professionally the benefts of Windows Phone really do come to the forefront. You aren't going to get that seamless transition with Android - Drive on Android still links you to Docs for online editing. I'm all for cloud services - I use them and support them monetarily - but if you aren't connected you need a fully featured desktop or mobile client that can work off the network.
In my opinion, the mobile devices are still a companion device to a PC/Laptop. I used Drive on Android and worked on some documents, but honestly, the experience wasn't that great. I would usually switch to a PC for more detailed work. Windows office apps actually work surprisingly great with better editing experience compared to Drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon