Cannot play voicemail .wav files

euchrid_eucrow

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Same issue as everyone here. I know that there are websites that can auto convert but i don't particularly like the idea of sending all my voicemails through someone else's server only to have them come right back to me. As to the VOIP server itself, it doesn't have an option to encode in a different format.
As a short term workaround/kludge I've resorted to writing an outlook add in in c# that strips the .wav file from an incoming message, converts it to mp3 and sends it back to me. The only caveat is that outlook needs to be already running when the message comes in for it to work. I could check my inbox at regular intervals but it isn't necessary for my usage. Android had the same problem a few years back, you'd think MS could have learned from google and avoided this altogether.

Frankprivat

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Moin!

...but i don't particularly like the idea of sending all my voicemails through someone else's server...
Why do you have a problem with that? Security? If so, then not go to the internet because there is not everything protected, even your email accounts!

Greetings from L?beck
Frank
Sorry my bad english

euchrid_eucrow

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey Frank,

Not security; our voicemail server is generating everything in house, our exchange server is sending me the email in house, i figured i could deal with the email & conversion in house in one operation. It all comes to the same thing, MS needs to add support for .wav.

Best Regards

Frankprivat

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey euchrid_eucrow,

...It all comes to the same thing, MS needs to add support for .wav...

Yes, I agree with you!
I and many others have reported the same problem in Windows Phone 7/8 reports to MS on the MS Support website.
Even the MS moderators (MVP) know the problem.
I'm sure that MS fixed the error soon.

Best Regards
Frank

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It shoud be fixed in the next update. Microsoft is well aware of it. It is a bug. Not sure how it wasn't tested before launch, but it is, what it is.

DaveSC

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Just incase anyone runs across this thread doing research.

Asterisk default voicemail works out of the box on windows phone 8.

Sandeep Kumar Singh

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I am facing the same problem. I use Vonage service which sends WAV file attached with the email. It was working fine on my Samsung Omnia 7 (Windows phone 7.5). Now it does not work on my Lumia 920. Error message "Sorry, we can't play this file on your phone". It is frustrating and will be helpful to know the work around.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here with shoretel system. I don't think there is a setting to have ShoreTel send a different file type. I knew we should've went with Asterisk system. Hoping MSFT fixes this soon.

Steven Piazza

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I wish MSFT would acknowledge this issue and their plan to correct it or provide a workaround. Phoneconvert is not a great solution for a corp environment, especially when the functionality is available on other mobile platforms.

scotf123

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I just got a new lumia 620 and am having the same problem. I see all the posts here are last year. Has anyone heard anything recently?

David Harrity

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Our organization has the same issues with Windows Phone 8 playback of our Cisco Unity voicemail, which uses the G.711 codec. As a result, we are moving to the PCM Linear codec on the Cisco Unity voicemail system to allow playback of enterprise voicemails retrieved from a Windows 8 phone. The G.711 and G.729 codec versions do not playback.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Our organization has the same issues with Windows Phone 8 playback of our Cisco Unity voicemail, which uses the G.711 codec. As a result, we are moving to the PCM Linear codec on the Cisco Unity voicemail system to allow playback of enterprise voicemails retrieved from a Windows 8 phone. The G.711 and G.729 codec versions do not playback.

David, have you done alot of testing with that? The reason I ask is from what I have researched, PCM Linear is 16k per second for voicemails while G711 is only 8k per second. That means one minute of voicemail costs you around 480k of storage while PCM Linear will be around 960k per minute. So you could double your storage requirements.

It may or may not be a big deal, it will be interesting to hear how it works for you. I did post this in another thread, but Microsoft has told us it will be fixed. When they told us that, Portico was in the works and they said it would be after that so i'm hoping in their next "big" patch. We will see.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My law firm just upgraded and converted to Shoretel last week. And I was on the phone committee! Getting email messages delivered to Outlook to be available remotely was a big factor in our decision to upgrade. And now I learn that I can't hear the messages on my 8X??? File type not supported. I can't believe this. Three of us have the 8X. One lawyer with an Android reports that he gets the .wav file and can play it on his Android. I'm on AT&T, my 8X is up to date. Not seeing anything here official from MS as to when/if this will be resolved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs