Windows Phone 8 Missing Tv-Out disappoointment

sifyganesh

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I come from Samsung focus wp7.5 where I had two huge disappointments and still windows phone 8 does not seem address those issues.

1) There is no TV out function from a windows phone 8. This is one of key things people look for. When we have tons of photos, videos on sky drive TV out would help us show them on TV. But, Microsoft seems to think, everyone should buy Xbox to share them on TV using DLNA or smart glass app. This is huge disappointment that there is none of big 3 ( Samsung, Nokia or HTC) seem to address this. Forget about wireless charging crap , fix the TV out first.

2) Cannot connect windows phone 8 to a Adhoc WiFi or create a adhoc WiFi . I tried connecting a lumia 920 to my iPhone using Mywi. Pretty bad, windows phone can't recognize adhoc WiFi networks. Sadly, the tech. person at the store, could not even understand what I meant.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
There was another thread on video out on Nokia. You'll have to search for it. Apparently the 3.5mm is an audio/video output. Never heard of it before either so I've ordered a 3.5mm to RCA stereo/video cable from Amazon and should be here later this week. I think it is more of a camcorder setup. I plan on trying it to find out for myself. Others said it should work. I'll post here if it works. And I'm not exactly sure why you would need to connect to adhoc or create one from your phone. File sharing?? I think that is why Skydrive is so heavily integrated in W8 and WP8. Also NFC and Bluetooth maybe, one day. Then again, I may have missed your purpose with the adhoc reference.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Can't please everybody. There will always be something every phone is missing that somebody has to complain about. You say this stuff is some of the "key things people look for" yet this is the first post I have read complaining about this.

If you bought a WP8 and have these issues you should have done more research. I mean if these are "key things" to you.

Personally I check out everything about any tech device before comitting to it. If you don't have a WP8 and you need these features, then don't get a WP8.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Forget about wireless charging crap , fix the TV out first.

Thats quite amusing.

How often do people charge their phone? How often do people use a TV out?

In general i charge my phone once a day, its one of the best features about the 920. Being that the biggest selling handset worldwide (the Galaxy S3) has it now, and the new Google Nexus 4 also has it, its hardly a tiny gimmick nobody cares about. Give it a year, i will expect it to be standard on every phone.

To be honest, after just a week of wireless charging, i'd hate to go back to using wires.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Thats quite amusing.

How often do people charge their phone? How often do people use a TV out?

In general i charge my phone once a day, its one of the best features about the 920. Being that the biggest selling handset worldwide (the Galaxy S3) has it now, and the new Google Nexus 4 also has it, its hardly a tiny gimmick nobody cares about. Give it a year, i will expect it to be standard on every phone.

To be honest, after just a week of wireless charging, i'd hate to go back to using wires.

I charged my N8 a minimum of 730 times during it's lifetime, I used the HDMI-out exactly once, it was about 2 weeks ago when I wanted to test if my HDMI cable is broken or if it's my PCs graphics card messing with me.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
There is no need for this type of comment...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Oh, but there is.

This forum is becoming overrun by whiners who should have just stuck with Android. Enough already. Who wants to come here and read 3 pages of crap about what people DON'T like about these phones?

sifyganesh

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Please advice if 3.5 mm RCA a/v cable worked for you.

There was another thread on video out on Nokia. You'll have to search for it. Apparently the 3.5mm is an audio/video output. Never heard of it before either so I've ordered a 3.5mm to RCA stereo/video cable from Amazon and should be here later this week. I think it is more of a camcorder setup. I plan on trying it to find out for myself. Others said it should work. I'll post here if it works. And I'm not exactly sure why you would need to connect to adhoc or create one from your phone. File sharing?? I think that is why Skydrive is so heavily integrated in W8 and WP8. Also NFC and Bluetooth maybe, one day. Then again, I may have missed your purpose with the adhoc reference.

Please advice if 3.5 mm RCA a/v cable worked for you.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I think the only people who care about HDTV-out buy HTC One X phones at AT&T because they're impressed by the display... and then they never use HDTV after that. :D

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is no MHL and there is no USB OTG.

As for adhoc wifi connection, the only phone that support that kind of thing out of box is iPhone. Not even Android phones support that. So, quit whining. Adhoc tethering is not the real solution.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I tried the cable and nothing. No audio or video. I don't know if it is a special cable, no software to drive it or hardware issue. Looking in 3.5mm plug, the phone appears to have four contacts and I swear when the other forum post was being discussed, I went to Nokia.com and checked specs and it said "3.5mm media" or something to that effect. But now it says " 3.5mm audio" on specs. I doubt that WP8 has any software present to run media plug anyway. It was worth $3 cable to find out. Unless anybody has any other ideas I guess it is a no go for now. Who knows, it may just be a software thing and Nokia may put out update to get it working.

Brian McBride

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
TV Out does suck. I was hoping that it would eventually be supported through the USB port - some sort of HDMI dongle.

I've connected my iPhone plenty of times to a HDTV to play content. When travelling, I often load up a few movies and more and more hotels let you attach a HDMI source to their TV. Movies, Netflix, whatever - without paying $20+ to the hotel.

And even at home, it has been handy from time to time. Not a deal breaker for me, but disappointing.

awesumjon

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Conanheath, if it does support 3.5mm video out, the cables may be out of order. If nothing else the audio should work.
Try switching the cables around (red to white, yellow to red, white to yellow, ect). That was the problem for me on a GS 4G back when.

Also, the jack may not be plugged in all the way to the phone, especially if you have a case. I don't expect any video whatsoever but the audio should definitely work.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Conanheath, if it does support 3.5mm video out, the cables may be out of order. If nothing else the audio should work.
Try switching the cables around (red to white, yellow to red, white to yellow, ect). That was the problem for me on a GS 4G back when.

Also, the jack may not be plugged in all the way to the phone, especially if you have a case. I don't expect any video whatsoever but the audio should definitely work.

I thought the same thing. I rotated RCA audio/video connections and nothing. No audio at any configuration which I thought strange. I tried 3.5mm all the way in and pulled out to first notch and nothing. I tried two tvs with same results. And I confirmed with ear buds after all this that audio is working from 3.5mm. If I had to guess, I would say no software there to make it work seeing as there are four contacts in 3.5mm. Maybe someone will come up with and explanation or maybe even a fix. Anybody know how to get any answers from Nokia?

sifyganesh

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
msft would never listen or wake to customers :( . Its bad for Nokia to pair up with these useless buggy software. Nokia should make themselves available on android and wp plus produce apps for ios as well.

video out was one of the serious concerns for past 2 years. I am fed up and giving up my loyalty. sorry nokia , it wasn't your fault.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05