Please help me understand fellow WP8 owners...

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
DISCLAIMER!!! I AM NOT TROLLING! I OWN 2 WP8 devices, Windows Surface RT, and Windows 8 Pro. I am only speaking as a concerned user!!!! I LIKE MICROSOFT!!!!

So, I?ve had the 8x and I?ve had the 920. Both are great phones in their own right. The 920 is a photography powerhouse, while the 8x boast nice rich sounds (I found this out this morning when I listened to my favorite songs in the 920 and it didn?t sound the same.) But the area where I feel like these phones fall short is WP8 in general. I jumped on the Lumia 900 the day it releases. I like the concept of Windows Phones. It's fresh and different but, I accepted the WP7.5 deficiencies in hopes that they would be fixed in WP8. I was wrong. And I could be wrong in my thoughts, so correct me if I am. With some of these things missing, what will keep new WP8 users? Some will say that only power users will notice WP8 shortcomings, but some of the things MSFT left out are basic...at least in my mind. Notice I never once said anything about missing apps. That will come with time especially with Windows 8 and surface tablets on the rise. Devs will cash in on making things for all three areas.

I am failing to see this massive super overhaul that MSFT said WP8 would be in comparison to the WP7.5. The start screen change is great. But I still can?t easily make a playlist on the go (I use my phone primarily as a communication music device), I still can?t separate the volumes for each type of sounds. I still can?t save that cute video of my daughter that my wife sent me over e-mail to my phone or to some sort of cloud storage. My Wi-Fi still is off while my phone is in sleep so I keep getting data ticks on my account. I was looking forward to data sense, but they failed to mention that this was on Verizon only (Am I wrong in saying they failed to mention that?). Closing apps is stupid. To close out apps I have to press the back arrow a million times OR go into each app then press he back arrow until I am finally out of that app. Why not give me a tiny X in the corner of the app window so I can close it?

These are just a few of my major gripes. I can?t say if iphones do these things or not because I haven?t used one in over a year (Iphone 4) My android can do all of the things I mentioned above. I am in no way trying to troll, but I am trying to find some logic in what MSFT is doing with WP8 and I also want to find out what they claim to have changed. I remember when 7.5 came out there was a HUGE list of changes. Where is this list for WP8? Can anyone supply me with this comprehensive list like they did with 7.5?

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I've only ever own a Windows Phone 8 device so I have nothing to compare it against. I do agree with some of your comments though. The volume thing is a major gripe for sure.

I've also lost track of the amount of times that I have plugged my headphones in and the phone is on full volume and bursts my ear drums. iPhone cuts the volume by half when th headphones plug in.

Besides that though, I genuinely love WP8. It's great. Like I said though, I haven't used any other version of windows phone so I have no comparison of its progression.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I've only ever own a Windows Phone 8 device so I have nothing to compare it against. I do agree with some of your comments though. The volume thing is a major gripe for sure.

I've also lost track of the amount of times that I have plugged my headphones in and the phone is on full volume and bursts my ear drums. iPhone cuts the volume by half when th headphones plug in.

Besides that though, I genuinely love WP8. It's great. Like I said though, I haven't used any other version of windows phone so I have no comparison of its progression.

I mentioned a few of the shortcomings or whatever you want to call it and it annoys me. Mainly saving videos I get from friends and family over the email. I can't long press it or press the three dots to save it. I think I am more annoyed that these things have been apparent for over a year now and MSFT either refuses to change it or simply does not have the capability to do so.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I mentioned a few of the shortcomings or whatever you want to call it and it annoys me. Mainly saving videos I get from friends and family over the email. I can't long press it or press the three dots to save it. I think I am more annoyed that these things have been apparent for over a year now and MSFT either refuses to change it or simply does not have the capability to do so.
So far, I haven't received a video via email, so I want aware of that limitation. Although I think I could live with it as iOS was the same.

Would be nice to be able to save it though for sure.

I hope the increased volume of windows phone sales drives MS forward and motivates them to perfect the OS.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So far, I haven't received a video via email, so I want aware of that limitation. Although I think I could live with it as iOS was the same.

Would be nice to be able to save it though for sure.

I hope the increased volume of windows phone sales drives MS forward and motivates them to perfect the OS.

I would think that MSFT would have motivation enough to make some of these things happen. Maybe in WP8.5??? On a similar not, I don't think the previous WP7.5 device owners are missing much with them getting 7.8.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You receive video over email? Why not use SkyDrive, or other storage solutions that are supported? I will admit that separate volume controls is needed, as well as the WiFi issue (which is going to be fixed).

As far as I know, Data Sense isn't Verizon only, but the carrier is the first to use it on Windows Phones - I'm sure others will follow (someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that). Regarding the closure of apps, I don't see the issue in having the apps remain open? I barely close apps during the day and battery always has been pretty solid.

The_Zizzler

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Rich,

RE: Video

Say I am travelling, and my friend sends me a video over IM or EMAIL, how can they send this file to my Skydrive without having my login details?

Thanks

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
In a perfect world, I'd like to save that video in my email onto my phone or some cloud storage. Windows phone 8 doesn't enable me to do that unless I am missing a function of how that is accomplished. Please show me how and I can forever shut up about that. Lol.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
They got WP8 out the door and running well. I think we can expect to see some bug fixes, improving battery life and things like that in the next update within 1-3 months. After that I suspect there will be a more substantive update within 6-12 months once everything else is shored up, that will add some more of these "missing features" most of us want.

I understand the frustration, I would like some of these things too. That said, I'm patient. All phone OS's have shortcomings, it's just a matter of choosing the one which has the shortcomings you are most comfortable living with and which delivers in other ways that keeps you pleased. For me Windows Phone is that platform and I see myself sticking with it for the long haul at this point. I'm a fan of Apple and I use a Mac daily, but iOS is dull and stale. Android is a horrendous mess of feature creep. Only Windows Phone has that just-right Zen balance for me, so while I do want these additional features, I'm not going to be upset about them before they come. They'll come when they come.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Having played with WP8 for 5 days, theres very little changed from WP7 in my day to day usage. Luckily WP7 always worked really well for me, so its just made my life better. I don't see how WP8 would be better for anyone who had issues with WP7.

To be honest, from everything i've read, they've focused getting the innards of WP8 right, rather than wasting time sorting all the little things, on a flawed kernel.

Its a shame, that there aren't more apps taking advantage of all the APIs to really show off all the under the hood changes.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Its a shame, that there aren't more apps taking advantage of all the APIs to really show off all the under the hood changes.

They will come... Keep in mind that a lot of developers got the SDK in the last few weeks and they need to update their app, submit it and wait the 2-6 weeks for Microsoft to approve it before it starts showing up in the market.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
They got WP8 out the door and running well. I think we can expect to see some bug fixes, improving battery life and things like that in the next update within 1-3 months. After that I suspect there will be a more substantive update within 6-12 months once everything else is shored up, that will add some more of these "missing features" most of us want.

I understand the frustration, I would like some of these things too. That said, I'm patient. All phone OS's have shortcomings, it's just a matter of choosing the one which has the shortcomings you are most comfortable living with and which delivers in other ways that keeps you pleased. For me Windows Phone is that platform and I see myself sticking with it for the long haul at this point. I'm a fan of Apple and I use a Mac daily, but iOS is dull and stale. Android is a horrendous mess of feature creep. Only Windows Phone has that just-right Zen balance for me, so while I do want these additional features, I'm not going to be upset about them before they come. They'll come when they come.

You are onto something when you said ZEN balance because you are right. I believe there is a nice balance in WP8. I just wish a few of those simple (or not so simple it would seem) issues would be looked at.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
They will come... Keep in mind that a lot of developers got the SDK in the last few weeks and they need to update their app, submit it and wait the 2-6 weeks for Microsoft to approve it before it starts showing up in the market.

No doubt in my mind that apps will come. That's not where my issue is though lol.

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with the points made in this post. But I have complete faith in MS, they are putting their money into this market now and pushing their OS competitively. I'm positive the apps will come, and all these major (and small) gripes will be ironed out to near perfection.

I personally can't wait for more apps that take full advantage of the WP8 system. There are too few atm.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Rich,

RE: Video

Say I am travelling, and my friend sends me a video over IM or EMAIL, how can they send this file to my Skydrive without having my login details?

Thanks
set up a shared folder on your skydrive that allows people you choose to access whats in that folder (pics, vids, ect.) that way you dont have to send it to 20 diff people they can just access your shared folders, your friends set up their shared folders ect, that saves alot of IM'ing emailing ect, also since you can have everything automatically upload (pics vids) if you want this also saves time

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
OP, I totally understand where you're coming from. I bought the 920 on Friday - hardware is awesome and the camera is stunning but I'm underwhelmed by WP8. While I can appreciate the engineering feat of rebuilding the OS on a different kernel, the new features aren't compelling enough. Not only that but there are still certain things that haven't been fixed and while some will come up with justifications (the "by design" one referenced in my signature is particularly prevalent), the time for excuses has long passed 2 years into the game. I've been using WP since the launch in 2010 and before that I was using WinMo for a few years. I have an Xbox, a tablet running wp8, a Zune, a windows media center pc - I wouldn't consider myself an ms fan girl but I'm firmly entrenched in the ecosystem and understand their approach. I also have an iPod Touch for apps but have no desire to have an iPhone, as I find the UI a bit stale (I can appreciate its strengths, nonetheless). I have major reservations with a Google-developed OS.

What frustrates me most is that this OS has so much promise - I love MS's approach to how a smartphone should work (for the most part). But all the smaller omissions (and regressions, in some case) contradict the very philosophy that ms claims WP is built on. For example, notifications still don't work reliably! Not only are some of my live tiles not updating or pushing notifications, the new Skype app didn't show missed call notifications on the start screen or live tile and it stopped receiving calls just hours after I installed it. A lesser issue - the music tile only shows the artist while music is playing. This is not conducive to a "delightful" experience. The implementation of smaller live tiles for email wasn't well thought out - there's no way for me to differentiate between different folders or accounts of the same type. This isn't conducive to "glance and go". The reports that I've heard about the current sync situation are very off putting. While I'm relieved to know that ms will eventually be addressing persistent WiFi and notification center, I think I'm going back to WP7 and will wait until WP8 is more feature-complete and solid.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
OP, I totally understand where you're coming from. I bought the 920 on Friday - hardware is awesome and the camera is stunning but I'm underwhelmed by WP8. While I can appreciate the engineering feat of rebuilding the OS on a different kernel, the new features aren't compelling enough. Not only that but there are still certain things that haven't been fixed and while some will come up with justifications (the "by design" one referenced in my signature is particularly prevalent), the time for excuses has long passed 2 years into the game. I've been using WP since the launch in 2010 and before that I was using WinMo for a few years. I have an Xbox, a tablet running wp8, a Zune, a windows media center pc - I wouldn't consider myself an ms fan girl but I'm firmly entrenched in the ecosystem and understand their approach. I also have an iPod Touch for apps but have no desire to have an iPhone, as I find the UI a bit stale (I can appreciate its strengths, nonetheless). I have major reservations with a Google-developed OS.

What frustrates me most is that this OS has so much promise - I love MS's approach to how a smartphone should work (for the most part). But all the smaller omissions (and regressions, in some case) contradict the very philosophy that ms claims WP is built on. For example, notifications still don't work reliably! Not only are some of my live tiles not updating or pushing notifications, the new Skype app didn't show missed call notifications on the start screen or live tile and it stopped receiving calls just hours after I installed it. A lesser issue - the music tile only shows the artist while music is playing. This is not conducive to a "delightful" experience. The implementation of smaller live tiles for email wasn't well thought out - there's no way for me to differentiate between different folders or accounts of the same type. This isn't conducive to "glance and go". The reports that I've heard about the current sync situation are very off putting. While I'm relieved to know that ms will eventually be addressing persistent WiFi and notification center, I think I'm going back to WP7 and will wait until WP8 is more feature-complete and solid.

You mean to tell me that you will return your 920 and wait for 7.8? At this point, that wouldn't hurt you much because I don't see the depth of changes made from one iteration of WP to the next. Those who actually live out their contract aren't missing much on the side of features. And to be honest, WP7 is smoother than WP8. I've saw my fair share of hiccups in the transitions that were once non existent to me on my previous WP devices. (Titan 2, Lumia 900) I want to like WP8 more, but I'm not seeing the love MS should have given us.

It really grinds my gears to think that MS isn't thinkin' about the things that further make the system mesh together. I feel they either don't listen or are in their own bubble and they think they know what we want. On the flip side, they need a more compelling reason for people to switch. I see the tides changing already, but soon enough, the sheen comes off and you start to notice some gaps in the functionality of it all. Sadly, the have been at this for a few years now.

People will say "Well Apple didn't have X feature in it's first few years." Well MS isn't apple and this isn't then. I've always lived by the creed of learn from other people's mistakes and not your own when possible. They aren't doing this too much. It makes me question their aim, their plans, their motives, and if it matches up with the everyday people. Maybe us forum wanderers are just too much of a power user to realize MS has a really good thing going. Lol.

RandomNinjaAtk

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Largely I think there is much still left to be improved on. WP7 and WP8 may look a lot of like, but as some have you pointed out, the software was practically rewritten for the new kernal. This is no small feat to have accomplished, especially for the time frame they did. So on that note, the new features they included are nice and they made some minor tweaks to core to address some users concerns (accent colors and etc). However in reality, I think it's probably safe to say that's all they could really accomplish on such a short time frame.

Personally, I would really love to have custom notification sounds, a true notification center, multiple volume controls (always having to turn down the volume to play a game) and many other things. Overall I would say I'm pleased with the improvements that were made. Now that MS has started over (rebooted), it should progress forward nicely and we can hope to see these features/customization's in the not too distant future.... I hope.

Just my thoughts on it. Only time will tell..... If we see some good progress with possible updates in the near future, then there shouldn't be to much to worry about!

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Most of the WP8 energy was in porting the WP7.5 features to the NT kernel. The changes they made to the feature set are limited so far. Certainly there's a sizable feature gap, but for me the ecosystem and the Modern UI make up for that since I'm not a big tinkerer or app user.

My main complaint isn't with the lack of WP8 features, its with the craptastic result of Windows 8 and how WP8 plays with it. As noted, the MS ecosystem is the big selling point for me on WP. I'm a longtime fan of Hotmail, Xbox and SkyDrive and I'm eager to see the integration with Skype as a global messaging client and many other services. But, with Win 8, my phone no longer works with my PC the way it did on WP7 and Zune. This is a big step back and it feels like I'm using an Android phone with it being so hard to sync things between my devices.

If Windows 8 ever gets awesome and actually links my Xbox, WP8 and Surface in a really meaningful seamless way without a loss of features and an over-dependence on a restrictive cloud service then we'll be of and running. Right now, this feels very Beta.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel