Please help me understand fellow WP8 owners...

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
@cp2_4eva My WPCentral app isnt working correctly - didnt even realize that post went through amd now i cant quote you.

Yep, I'm going to downgrade. I'm not seeing $500+ worth of new features/usability here. Lol. The new start screen is actually the most useful feature right now, along with backup (I hope the latter also comes to 7.8 for users who are upgrading). My only fear is that between MS and att, it might be a very, very long time before I see 7.8 on my l900.

luckyhillkop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys for this thread. I'm not a WP user but planning to check out L920 when it becomes available in my country.

I didn't know much about WP, had my doubts about it and I rely on online forums to learn and research it. However reading the net (especially wpcentral) just throw me further into confusion. Some say this OS is the best currently but at the same time lacking basic features that other OS offer. I struggled to understand that. To me it looks like this OS is still so far away from being 'ready'. People keep saying it's getting better and better and before we know it it will turn into a mature OS; sadly though I've heard that line since WP7. There were always excuses about the shortcomings, there are excuses now and there will be more excuses in the future.

This thread certainly give me another angle to think about.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Define "mature."

Windows Phone isn't iOS or Android. Some claim that a "mature" OS requires 750,000 apps, or the ability to change the system font to Comic Sans and install a custom ROM, or the ability to run some proprietary app only available on one platform.

BlackBerry users would say that a phone without BBM and the ability to run for three days with push e-mail on a single charge isn't "mature."

webOS users would argue that Android, iOS and WP are all "primitive" and "not ready for prime time" due to their multitasking limitations and UIs that don't facilitate active multitasking.

Symbian users would point out that Symbian is more "mature" than Android, iOS or WP because it has been around longer, runs on more devices, and can last days with just one battery charge (while having a library of hundreds of thousands of applications, many of which have evolved over a decade or longer on the platform). They could also point to the Nokia 808 Pureview and say that all cameras other than Symbian's are obsolete and totally inadequate, thus not "mature and ready for prime time."

Palm OS users would say that the PIM components of Windows Phone, iOS and Android are inadequate and immature, and thus usability is limited.

Windows Phone users would say that iOS has poor integration with Windows on the desktop/laptop/tablet, a lack of serious productivity applications, and an outdated interface, while Android is a battery-sucking, laggy malware pit with serious security and usability deficiencies. WP users would also note that iOS and Android are poor at cross-data and cross-account integration, requiring users to open separate mail applications for multiple mail accounts and not cross-linking basic contacts in a useful way.

They're all right, in a way. And they're all wrong, in a way. There is no "one way to be." Choose what works for you, and run with it. Try out new things. And keep an open mind. If Windows Phone was just like Android or iOS and did everything the way they do (or the way they try to define "mature"), there'd be no point to WP. WP does things differently by design, and many of the so-called "features" (like confusing three, four, or five different volume settings) aren't all that useful.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
They're all right, in a way. And they're all wrong, in a way. There is no "one way to be." Choose what works for you, and run with it. Try out new things. And keep an open mind. If Windows Phone was just like Android or iOS and did everything the way they do (or the way they try to define "mature"), there'd be no point to WP. WP does things differently by design, and many of the so-called "features" (like confusing three, four, or five different volume settings) aren't all that useful.

WP does many things in their own ways, but there is no doubt room for improvement and a few things they have overlooked either by fault or by choice. And it has been a few of the same things we have been talking about for a couple of years now. I don't want Windows Phone to turn out like iOS in the sense of, "Hey we have a new operating system edition coming out, and all we have added was rooms!" I'm not saying WP IS like iOS, I am saying I don't want them to be like them in that way. As of now, there really isn't a huge difference between what people were getting with WP 7.8 and WP8. At least not on the surface. (no pun intended) The inner workings have been changed, but on top, we don't see much change. I will say, that it STILL works for most of us though.

EDIT: Fixed my 7.5 to 7.8.

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
As of now, there really isn't a huge difference between what people were getting with WP 7.5 and WP8.

OK. I'm going to offer you a choice between a ZTE Tania running Windows Phone 7.5 and a Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8.

You're obviously going to pick the Tania, because it's cheaper and there's no real difference between Mango and WP8, right?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
OK. I'm going to offer you a choice between a ZTE Tania running Windows Phone 7.5 and a Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8.

You're obviously going to pick the Tania, because it's cheaper and there's no real difference between Mango and WP8, right?

You can't throw me this argument because I always by the newest phones and probably keep them for no less than a year because I sell it and get a newer phone. But there are people who in this forum, have said they feel like they wasted their money because WP8 (not the phone) isn't too much different than WP7.5 (NOT THE PHONE AGAIN) The phones are totally different, but the fact remains, you aren't getting that many new features in WP8....at least not yet. Maybe not until 8.5. Also, I never say 7.5, I say 7.8. Compare 7.8 to 8 and I'm sure there isn't much to differ from.

I asked this before and I'll ask again, where is this list of new features for WP8? if I could clearly look at that list then I might switch my thoughts about how different WP8 might be from WP 7.8 (that hasn't come out or have a final list of added features)

EDIT: I did say 7.5...I meant 7.8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99