IE 10 Drop Down Menu Problem

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There is no "fix" MS can make. At best, MS can break IE, so all mobile browsers are equally broken. If everyone would focus their anger at the web site developers, say, by regularly calling and mailing them, that would be much more helpful than complaining about MS here.

As mentioned in a few threads already, you can test any web page with this free online webpage-scanner from MS. If it shows problems, the web page needs fixing, and it's a good idea to let the company know.

Larry Grenon

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
To state that MS is not at fault for drop down menu issues and a host of other issues is hogwash. As a web developer I test my sites in every browser and device under the sun to make sure they work. Sites that worked just fine with IE8 and 9 suddenly don't work when IE10 was introduced. They continue to work on all updates of Chrome, Firefox, Safari on both Macs and PCs. If that isn't MS's fault, I don't know what is.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
To state that MS is not at fault for drop down menu issues and a host of other issues is hogwash. As a web developer I test my sites in every browser and device under the sun to make sure they work. Sites that worked just fine with IE8 and 9 suddenly don't work when IE10 was introduced. They continue to work on all updates of Chrome, Firefox, Safari on both Macs and PCs. If that isn't MS's fault, I don't know what is.

As a developer of any kind, you should know that such reasoning is hogwash. Possibly a bug in earlier versions of IE allowed your pages to work when they never should have, and IE10 corrected that. Possibly IE10 improved its detection of "quirky" web pages, causing IE10 to detect more imperfect pages and render them (including yours) in compatibility mode (known to handle drop down boxes and touch input differently). My point is, since you obviously don't understand the problem, you can't assign fault.

I'm not a web developer, but there are a lot of tech support sites on the web where web developers seem to be complaining about exactly this issue. Those that I looked at all ended by having the developer go back and fix their web page. None concluded by stating the problem was unsolvable, because it's down to a bug in IE. I won't rule that out, as I'm sure IE10 has bugs just like any other piece of software, but so far I see no evidence of this being one.

Make of it what you will.

Corgalore

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
This issue is not a bug in IE people. Apple hacked mobile Safari in order to hijack hover events and forward them to the click/tap event handler. They should have implemented proper tap event handlers like Microsoft did. I admit it causes some usability headaches, but so did the lack of Flash when Apple first decided to chuck it from iOS.

iOS Safari == The Next IE6

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This issue is not a bug in IE people. Apple hacked mobile Safari in order to hijack hover events and forward them to the click/tap event handler. They should have implemented proper tap event handlers like Microsoft did. I admit it causes some usability headaches, but so did the lack of Flash when Apple first decided to chuck it from iOS.

iOS Safari == The Next IE6

In what way is the windows phone implementation better? Microsoft should "hack" IE the same way Apple does with Safari. Not being able to hover makes using the browser very inconvenient. But from what some people are saying above, IE11 has fixed this behavior in 8.1. If so, I'm hopeful this will be fixed in WP8.1 in a couple months as well.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Try Walmart.com: Save money. Live better.

Over at the left, if you click "Electronics & Office" or any of these, once you hold long enough for the pull down to appear, as soon as you move over to click one, it goes away.

I'm seeing comments about lots of other sites as well with this problem.

WalMart does have a mobile version of their site that might work better for you (though, I have just checked out their mobile site and it isn't very good). Either way, if you don't want to use the mobile site, at the end of the list of departments, there is a link for "See All Departments". Click that and you will get a list of all the departments on that page, with each sub-department listed below it.

NeilWkz

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Yeah this situation's tricky... I'm a web developer (and I use a lumia 920). It is correct that apple decided to map tap events to hover because it mean that a standard CSS dropdown menu will work out of the box (So did Android & Blackberry). Technically speaking microsoft's new approach is better, you have to add a setting aria-haspopup="true" to the parent link to get it to work with windows phone.. Simple huh? Obviously it's the web dev's fault. Unfortunately not, if you use aria-haspopup="true" it then breaks the dropdown menus on IE8, in the last year 10% of traffic comes from IE8 (I don't like those people as they make my job harder, but they exist).
So up until now It's had to be a judgement call on whether to let Older users see the dropdown, or IE8 users see the dropdown. The latest stats for market share show that Windows phone is now around 10% and IE8 is dropping off, so you'll start to see menus working more and more.
I can't help feeling this was bloody mindedness on behalf of MS. Why they couldn't just map the tap event to hover like every other mobile platform.
But that is the story of Microsofts browser team, they make odd choices.

vinscg

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
completely zoom out , you will be able to access the drop down menu, i am wp8 HTC 8X GDR3
walmart.com one is easy to access, on infowars.com its a bit tricky

kabinsons1

Sep 23, 2017
Visit site
Now my browser is not working properly, it is why I don't know. I hold my menu 10 sec then my drop down appears but not properly. I continue my board express. Thanks a lot for giving such a information.
I also find my browser at HERE.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss