Skype Integration, or umm... no? lack thereof.

iphonemilk

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought Skype was supposed to be DEEPLY integrated into Windows Phone, people hub, messaging our contacts.

My guess was that we would just add SKYPE to our accounts section just like we do Facebook, etc.

But instead it's just another APP, which appears to LOG ME OFFLINE after about half of the day if i don't open up the app again.

Does anyone have any more information on this?

Is this just because it's in preview? or is this really it.

Banstyle

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm also completely disappointed in it. I called my wife on Skype and it rang through on her iPhone. She called me back.. nothing happened. Although strangely she sees me as 'online' but when she calls me it just rings and I see nothing on my device unless the app is open.

Why can Skype run in the background on iPhone and iPad but not WP8? I don't even see it in Background Tasks.

Huge disappointment if this is all there is. Maybe they don't want to completely intergrate it until they work out the 'Preview' bugs, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I thought Skype was supposed to be DEEPLY integrated into Windows Phone, people hub, messaging our contacts.

My guess was that we would just add SKYPE to our accounts section just like we do Facebook, etc.

But instead it's just another APP, which appears to LOG ME OFFLINE after about half of the day if i don't open up the app again.

When I installed the app, it put my contacts into the people hub, which I could then link to an existing contact. Inside that contact, is now a Skype section, to which it says "voice, video, chat."

Now, all of these actions have to, currently, be performed inside the Skype app. So when I click that option, Skype opens and instantly takes me into that contact.

I understand what you're saying about being deeply implemented. Maybe it's on it's way, maybe this is how it will be for the time being. I don't know... but it works great.

Also, I only have one thing under settings and that is Message Toast Notifications. And it's turned on. I've had the app installed since Sunday evening when it went live, and it's been running in the background ever since.

iphonemilk

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
When I installed the app, it put my contacts into the people hub, which I could then link to an existing contact. Inside that contact, is now a Skype section, to which it says "voice, video, chat."

Now, all of these actions have to, currently, be performed inside the Skype app. So when I click that option, Skype opens and instantly takes me into that contact.

I understand what you're saying about being deeply implemented. Maybe it's on it's way, maybe this is how it will be for the time being. I don't know... but it works great.

Also, I only have one thing under settings and that is Message Toast Notifications. And it's turned on. I've had the app installed since Sunday evening when it went live, and it's been running in the background ever since.

That's very odd.. yeah i've been following my "online status" for days now, asking my friends to check to see if i'm online or not, and i keep getting dropped offline, then all i have to do is re open the app.

Banstyle

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
That's very odd.. yeah i've been following my "online status" for days now, asking my friends to check to see if i'm online or not, and i keep getting dropped offline, then all i have to do is re open the app.
I'm online but not able to receive calls. Only when I open the app do I see "1 Missed Call'. I don't even get a live tile notification about this.

See if they are able to call you while you are not in the app, that's the real test.

Banstyle

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone seen the Skype Live Tile update ever? Just curious. I don't think it has any Live Tile support at all, which is vastly different then what they were advertising it as.

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I TOTALLY AGREE WHAT IS UP with Skype and it's piss poor integration???

starting to make me come to a sad realization that I should have given wp8 a year before I hopped on it...

Anthony Meluso

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's flaky right now. I had the app closed the whole day then out of no where I get a toast notification from my friend saying hi. So I clicked on it and we started a video chat. He said my video looked delayed by like 10 seconds. After that I closed the app and never heard from anyone since then.

Microsoft talks a lot about this stuff but lately they go about half way in their implementation. For instance when the Xbox Music app was announced it sounded like the second coming of Christ. In use I find it to be awkward, flaky, and featureless. It's just a shell of a music player.

I really hope they spend the next year updating everything with no long delays. Every app that is so so needs to be touch and improved at least every two months.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Ummm... guys... there's a reason that the word "Beta" appears in the title of the app. You're running not-ready-for-prime-time software. It is bound to have serious bugs and issues, as well as incomplete functionality.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I've FINALLY had a chance to test this, and by that, I mean fully with 2 phones or devices running Skype, when the app itself isn't running. And yeah, it seems you have to be in the app to receive a message or video chat request. Maybe this will be fixed soon.

MechanizedSunrise

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, the full version will have all the features missing from the Preview.

I am holding out hope that Skype will be fully integrated as planned, or else I'll be pretty disappointed for upgrading to a L920 from an L900.

Banstyle

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Ummm... guys... there's a reason that the word "Beta" appears in the title of the app. You're running not-ready-for-prime-time software. It is bound to have serious bugs and issues, as well as incomplete functionality.

When are we going to stop giving excuses to Microsoft? Skype was a HUGE feature and selling point in WP8, it was all over every presentation they had. It's been in development for two years. It should be there DAY ONE! I bought a phone with a front facing camera for Skype, and it is still dysfunctional compared to iPhone and Android. Why do I even need a front facing camera now?

Skype was advertised as always on, deep intergration, NONE of those things are in the package. I'm kind of outraged about it. You should be too.

MechanizedSunrise

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
When are we going to stop giving excuses to Microsoft? Skype was a HUGE feature and selling point in WP8, it was all over every presentation they had. It's been in development for two years. It should be there DAY ONE! I bought a phone with a front facing camera for Skype, and it is still dysfunctional compared to iPhone and Android. Why do I even need a front facing camera now?

Skype was advertised as always on, deep intergration, NONE of those things are in the package. I'm kind of outraged about it. You should be too.

+1

I feel like the manufacturers brought their A game in terms of hardware, but Microsoft did the same old routine of "let's get it out in time for consumers to buy the hardware and then we'll just incrementally churn out updates"

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
It gets harder and harder to try and support this lovely OS when it is seemingly unfinished and misadvertised. Sort it out MS!

Agree 100%. The OS hasn't been like what they advertised it as. I wish I knew wth is going on with them. They've promised up Pandora and other apps and they still have yet to show up.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
still prevalent thou, I really do not like Skype on w8 and wp8. hopefully they fix it soon.

IT'S PREVIEW SOFTWARE. A beta. Not the final, commercial release. Complaining about beta software on a forum like this is... pointless. Issues with preview/beta software should be raised to the developer, not used as fuel for a rage-gasm circle-jerk.

HansTWN

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
And let us hope we can finally send and receive files.... I am quite happy with WP8, but Skype really sucks. Yes, it is preview software. But they should put more effort into this and they should give us a time table, saying when these problems will be fixed. Can't be that difficult, just a matter of misplaced priorities --- after all Microsoft now is the developer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99