Skype Integration, or umm... no? lack thereof.

Keegan Pinto

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the same thing and think I found a fix...
Granted I don't use Skype all that much, I can usually get calls when I open Skype, and then press the home button and continue to use my phone. Therefore, you know, keeping the app open. It doesn't seem to drain any extra battery in the week or so that I've started doing this...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They really need to fix it.

What part of "preview software" are you missing? I quote from the Marketplace entry for Skype itself:

"Skype for Windows Phone 8 Preview"
"**THIS IS A PREVIEW RELEASE, EXPERIENCES ARE NOT YET FINAL**"
"NOTE: Some capabilities listed above are work-in-progress and may not function consistently. This includes, but is not limited to: call reliability and the ability to receive incoming calls and chat notifications when outside of the app."

(Emphasis mine, of course.)

I mean really... re-opening a three month old thread to complain that Skype isn't working when the Marketplace entry for Skype itself openly states it isn't working? Ye gads.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I mean really... re-opening a three month old thread to complain that Skype isn't working when the Marketplace entry for Skype itself openly states it isn't working? Ye gads.
Isn't it miserable that after 3 months of complaints Skype is still not working - which Microsoft owns, promised everyone last June, and made an advertisement showing off?

They still advertise it around time square today - does a user deserve an answer that is more than "sorry our app is not working"? Oh my god, they paid for that phone.

yetanotherguy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Being in the s/w field myself, I hate this overwhelming "Get it out and fix it later" mentality.... true, no software is totally bug-free, but come on.... having said that, when we installed the skype app, we took on the assumption that we are Beta (or Alpha?) testers and the software is going to have a list of issues (some of which, by the way, are "documented" in the "Show details" section in the store - in fact the very problems that people are complaining above)

However, I would have expected a lot more love from a MS product on their OS.... there is just no excuse.... whenever they bring something on, it better be gooooooood..... maybe April when they finally force switch from Messenger to Skype?? who knows... I am not holding my breath... for now, people just have to msg me on Whatsapp and ask me to come on Skype.... for what it's worth, for them it's like I don't have Skype on my mobile device.... :(

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
does a user deserve an answer that is more than "sorry our app is not working"?

If a user installs software that warns - on the very page from where the software is downloaded - that it might not work well in certain circumstances... no, they don't deserve an answer more than that. That user downloaded the software knowing full well that it might not work in those circumstances; if that users wants software that works reliably in those circumstances, that user shouldn't install the software which warns it doesn't!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If a user installs software that warns - on the very page from where the software is downloaded - that it might not work well in certain circumstances... no, they don't deserve an answer more than that. That user downloaded the software knowing full well that it might not work in those circumstances; if that users wants software that works reliably in those circumstances, that user shouldn't install the software which warns it doesn't!

By that logic do we agree that we don't have Skype app on our platform? A full working version? But only a buggy beta?

Which leads to a follow up - Microsoft's own Skype isn't on WP but is on all other platforms working fine and dandy. Now, I know I will be told, oh it's because messenger is being replaced and we will have integrated Skype blah blah - but that's our speculations. The communication is poor to say the least. A blog post from Microsoft outlining their plans for Skype on WP integrated or otherwise would suffice generally.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I rather have someone dig old threads that are relevant to the issue than open up a new rant thread!

I don't disagree. But ranting about an issue that was made apparent before the software was even downloaded? "OMG, I'm so pissed that this software I knew might not work doesn't work! GRR! ARGH!" *rolls eyes*

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
By that logic do we agree that we don't have Skype app on our platform? A full working version? But only a buggy beta?

I can't agree with that. We DO have a Skype app on our platform and it DOES work. But it IS a buggy beta that does have problems in certain, well documented circumstances. So... no, no, yes. :)

The communication is poor to say the least.

That I will agree with and state further that poor communication seems to be endemic with Microsoft regarding the entire WP platform.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I can't agree with that. We DO have a Skype app on our platform and it DOES work. But it IS a buggy beta that does have problems in certain, well documented circumstances. So... no, no, yes. :)

That I will agree with and state further that poor communication seems to be endemic with Microsoft regarding the entire WP platform.

A beta app generally isn't really an app. Beta app is NEVER meant to have a public release to start with in any software development cycle. The tradition dictates having beta testers - a small group of testers representative of the entire population in question to try out the app so that the bugs are easy to trace, manage and rectify. However, a public beta has been a trend that is widely accepted but I don't think a public beta of an app makes any sense! It should have made it to the public only after going into RC stages.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A beta app generally isn't really an app.

I agree with everything you said except this one minor point; if a beta app isn't an app, what is it? It conforms to the specs of an app in all ways except that the developers and users are expecting problems. I don't think that disqualifies it from app status. In fact, you even call it an app later in your post when you say, "...to try out the app so that the bugs..."

Other than that, yeah, you're spot-on. "Public beta" seems like a contradiction in terms... I think that's why the term "preview" came into common parlance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss