Text Messages Discretion is awful!

abepm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Me as several hundreds of WP users have tried to explain to Microsoft that discretion is a very crucial part for our phones. From leaving your phone in the office to giving your cell phone to your friends so they can try your new device. I hope that every time my phone is in the hands of someone else nobody text me someting that only me was supposed to read. Here is a example of this:

View attachment 22386

You and everybody else will be able to see your text message even if your phone was locked. Guess what? you cannot deactive this bar. Is the most annoying thing ever!

Why this is not important to Microsoft?! I love windows phone but small flaws like this make me feel very angry because is just something that can be fixed. Blackberry phones had the best message system of all time , they even gave you the option to lock your SMS folder with a password, I am missing that... Probably Windows will not care about this and again they will ignore their users concerns to back again at the bottom of the charts...

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice to have that option, actually. My Android phone does the same thing on the notification bar. Maybe Microsoft could give an option to just replace the entire notification with "Text from <contact name>"??

I don't think if your phone is left in the office though it's going to matter :p If the phone is unlocked, unsavory persons will probably look through the phone anyway (though I doubt that with a lock screen password they're going to just sit there and wait for an incoming message so they can see a preview ;))

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
If you are concerned about security, don't give your phone to someone else and don't let it out of your sight. I don't know about you, but in my business we don't share devices and nobody touches another person's work device. It's against policy.

On the other hand, if you are getting naughty texts from your mistress and don't want the wife the find out, you are s**t outta luck buddy. LOL

WinnerByRNC

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I too would like the ability to turn off the text message bar. If I am out I usually place my phone on the table and LOL some times i do get private messages...and not only from my mistress...sometimes from my GF as well! JK! ;)

Last edited:

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a good feature to add, but I'd rank it pretty low on the list of needs.

The big thing is that people give their kids their phones to play games on and you don't need your friends sending you vulgar comments and jokes while they are looking at it. Plus my GF might play games on my phone that aren't available on her iPhone, plenty of room for awkward discussions even if I'm not being a lecher.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
It is something that should be an option in the settings. A simple checkbox for "Show text message preview when pin lock enabled?"

I'm being a bit bullish here just because I work in development and I understand Microsoft's position. They will have a laundry list 600 items long of stuff to work on and improve, as well as having the management wanting to push major features for next revisions. They will be forced to prioritize and test based on that. Shelving some features for the time being while they work on others. It's just how it works.

Google only gets away with it because they slap their **** together with stolen code ("see the Java comments incident" and worry about optimization later.

abepm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you are concerned about security, don't give your phone to someone else and don't let it out of your sight. I don't know about you, but in my business we don't share devices and nobody touches another person's work device. It's against policy.

On the other hand, if you are getting naughty texts from your mistress and don't want the wife the find out, you are s**t outta luck buddy. LOL
Why this just jumped to having an affair? lol... This is not about receiving naughty messages is just about what you want others to see. I dont think some of you are getting the message. Also I am not going to impose a policy to everyone I know heheh I like to show videos , pictures , etc to my friends with my phone but there is some stuff that as a person I would like to keep private and in this case are my text messages even if is just my mom saying "hello".

abepm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It is something that should be an option in the settings. A simple checkbox for "Show text message preview when pin lock enabled?"

I'm being a bit bullish here just because I work in development and I understand Microsoft's position. They will have a laundry list 600 items long of stuff to work on and improve, as well as having the management wanting to push major features for next revisions. They will be forced to prioritize and test based on that. Shelving some features for the time being while they work on others. It's just how it works.

Google only gets away with it because they slap their **** together with stolen code ("see the Java comments incident" and worry about optimization later.
So , something small like this you think there is a possiblity to get improved?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I think disabling text notifications disables the pop up as well but I'm not sure as I've never tried it. Granted it's not as big of a concern as the initial post makes it out to be.

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If you own a WP...don't use it while having an affair.

I wonder what phone General Petraeus and that lady reporter were using (I know it was the emails that did them in).

...But I see Microsoft as unlikely to change this unless its users continue to mention it all over the place, or Jessica Alba complains about it publicly.

lonbraj

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
...But I see Microsoft as unlikely to change this unless its users continue to mention it all over the place, or Jessica Alba complains about it publicly.

Windows Phone doesn't have enough users to voice many things, if it was in Android, the verge, engadget and a bunch of others sites would make Google's life so miserable that they couldn't skip it.

That's what I don't get about WPC, they don't make complains about the OS, I don't see then massively requesting same important features, look what they said about persistent WiFi:

"Personally speaking, this has never bothered us but we think we're in the minority here."

Yes, you're in the minority, represent your users and give us voice for God's sake.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not gonna lose sleep over not having the option but I do wish it existed. It's clearly a privacy concern, even with a security PIN.

Honestly, I wish my emails would do this too. I like seeing an email from so-and-so came in, so I can see if I want to read it now or make them wait.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I like the toasts, wish email did it too, but perhaps the bit of message content you can see could be removed. Just show sender.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, This would be great for emails, not so much from text messages. I think it's a pretty big flaw. Nothing earth shattering, but a pretty silly omission.

F2a

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
What is the best way to get the devs attention do you think? Lonbrag is right, we need a site like Engadget or the verge to say something about this for a change.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb