Having a text message show up on the screen is a security risk!

F2a

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This is my one big issue with WP8. Right now, when you get a text message two things happen:

1. The screen turns on
2. The message is partially displayed on the top of the screen.

We NEED to be able to disable both of these events!

The first issue is the fact that other people can read your personal messages if they have access to your phone. Or at least the first part of them.

But you know when you log into sites and they send you a confirmation code via text? They can possibly see that code now. For some sites that send you a code you might have to still know the password. But for a site like Outlook.com which sends you a code as an alternate to log in, this could be a real problem.

Facebook code : The full code displays.

Outlook.com code : Can see all by last 3 digits

If this isn't fixed soon or there is a fix promised I will have to return my new phone and switch back to android.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
You should start packing the phone back into it's box, because I can guarantee you there will not be any updates to change that behavior.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes it would be a nice feature to have but if you're that concerned stop letting people have access to your phone. Or find better friends if you think they're going to take that information and use it against you.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
What if your phone gets stolen?

I'll be honest--I suggest you either go the WP feature suggestion site, or try to get their attention on Twitter or something because I doubt Microsoft comes here to figure out what customers want from Windows Phone.

I know people like to come here and tell us about features that are missing from Windows Phone, but I don't think anyone here works for Microsoft so there isn't much we can do.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What if your phone gets stolen?
Then contact the appropriate company to shut off your service? Use the 'find my phone' features to remotely lock, erase, etc. your data. If you're talking about your phone getting stolen its no different then your wallet getting stolen - there's a lot of confidential information but you can mitigate the damage.

F2a

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Here it is guys: Turning off SMS Notification toast

Please vote it up!

Also, what is the deal with people being so complacent about improving WP8?! Don't let people touch my phone? Genius, thanks. Keep my phone faced down and look over my shoulder before I turn it over? Stop telling me half assed solutions for something that should be a simple setting I can check!

abepm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is my one big issue with WP8. Right now, when you get a text message two things happen:

1. The screen turns on
2. The message is partially displayed on the top of the screen.

We NEED to be able to disable both of these events!

The first issue is the fact that other people can read your personal messages if they have access to your phone. Or at least the first part of them.

But you know when you log into sites and they send you a confirmation code via text? They can possibly see that code now. For some sites that send you a code you might have to still know the password. But for a site like Outlook.com which sends you a code as an alternate to log in, this could be a real problem.

Facebook code : The full code displays.

Outlook.com code : Can see all by last 3 digits

If this isn't fixed soon or there is a fix promised I will have to return my new phone and switch back to android.
I just posted about this hours ago. This is very important for a lot of WP users. I'm having the same issue since WP7

abepm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree. I get annoyed by some if the people makings comments here. They are the most "tolerable" people ever... This problem is very important and it will be a deal breaker for some of us.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
If it bothers you that much just wait the extra 5 seconds for the screen to go dark. Or if you can't handle that then just return the phone.

I swear the littlest things make people return their phones haha.

Apparently exclusive colors for the 8X are enough for some people to not get WP8 too. Good lord.

It's simple, if something that isn't a big deal to most people IS a big deal to you then just get rid of it, it won't matter to anybody else.

brdl04

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Just another excuse to return a phone. This is coming from someone who probably doesn't use password lock anyway lol.

abepm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If it bothers you that much just wait the extra 5 seconds for the screen to go dark. Or if you can't handle that then just return the phone.

I swear the littlest things make people return their phones haha.

Apparently exclusive colors for the 8X are enough for some people to not get WP8 too. Good lord.

It's simple, if something that isn't a big deal to most people IS a big deal to you then just get rid of it, it won't matter to anybody else.
I love a lot of features the wp8 has. It is bad to ask some improvement from the company I keep investing in thru the years? I just want my phone to be better...

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I love a lot of features the wp8 has. It is bad to ask some improvement from the company I keep investing in thru the years? I just want my phone to be better...

The OS is brand new. iPhone, Android... etc. are what they are today after YEARS, and YEARS of being on the market. WP does not have that yet. Personally I am more worried about a stable OS than something that has a VERY easy work-around that does not matter to most people. Would the option to hide messages be good? Yes. Is it make or break? Probably only to a few individuals.

The fact that this is your number one concern with the OS tells me that all the important stuff on the phone must be working nicely.

I mean if you know you are getting a text you don't want anybody to see, just wait 5 seconds then pull out your phone after you get the notification sound and the screen will be dark.

OR slide the notification off to the side the second it comes in. If somebody is going to get a partial multi-digit code before you can swipe it away then they are a pro and would have got your security code anyways.

You just worry too much.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, if you're sending high-security, proprietary or confidential messages over the SMS/MMS network, your device should be taken from you and smashed with a sledgehammer just moments after your wireless service is cancelled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb