Cisco Unity VM - WAV Files Don't Play on WP8

theBrknSystm

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that Voicemail from their Cisco Unity system that gets delivered to your inbox as a .wav file won't play on WP8 yet they did on WP 7.x? I am sure this is a codec thing but why would they have lost support for it? This is a major downer for any business that uses Cisco for IP Telephony.

Last edited:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
There are a few of these floating around, maybe some mods can combine them...
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-general-discussion/202637.htm

Anyway, this is a common thing actually. The same thing happens on Android phones. They used to play those kind of wav files but at 2.0 or 2.1 or some version they stopped supporting the codec that most phone systems use for voicemails.

I have over 400+ Android phones that I support and all those users have to download a 3rd party app to play those wav files. (We recommend Remote WAV) I don't know if those codecs are licensed by Cisco or somebody and nobody wants to pay a license fee to use them or what.. it sucks.

The formats at issue are GSM6.1, and I think some ULAW and ALAW formats. (I don't know much about that stuff). Most phone systems will let you modify the type of codec used, I'm going to start exploring that with our phone guys.

islandmagic

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Same issue wiht my 920- all my Droid phones work fine. I am running cisco 8.5 unity.. this my 1st win phone in 8 years I thought it will be a good change for me so i ditch my Google Nex phone for the 920 and I have to say I love the phone... but this wav shi@$@$ is a minor issues- if I can find a fix for this I will post it.. I am the dude that works on all the Cisco Ip telephoney -- But come on folks I am trying to get folks at work to get pump for win 8

bigdjunk

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
But come on folks I am trying to get folks at work to get pump for win 8
Yeah, I hear you! I was all excited about my 822 but then I tried to open up a v.mail at work, and instant sadness came over me when I saw my new shiney Windows phone couldn't open them :(
I almost returned the phone that day, but I didn't. I have really high hopes that MS will address this, but I have a gut feeling that I will be hoping for a very long while...

Steve Parsley

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
You must go to a .wav file, and set the default for opening this type of file to Windows Media Center. Then it opens and plays just fine, although I have had some issues with the mouse disappearing while there.

Set the default to .wav files are all opened by Windows Media Center.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You must go to a .wav file, and set the default for opening this type of file to Windows Media Center. Then it opens and plays just fine, although I have had some issues with the mouse disappearing while there.

Set the default to .wav files are all opened by Windows Media Center.

Wrong forum dude. This is for Windows Phone 8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa