imessage group chats... on WP?

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Ive had an iphone since it first launched and I traded in a sony candy bar some years ago. So meanwhile, Ive kind of gotten spoiled by the "features" of an iphone that I took for granted.

Thus far, only 1 has really jumped out at me...

text messages.

Everyone I know, and I do mean EVERYONE, has an iphone. And we text, often in groups.

For instance, I have parents and a sister, I have text chains with every combination of these 3 people possible. Its great... also works with friends and coworkers.

Moved to the lumia 920, and now... even though they are still texting to the "group" I don't see the other person it went to. So maybe my mom texts me and my sister, then I get a response from my sister in a different chain. and if I want to respond to both of them, I need to start a new message to send to the 2 of them. its frustrating to say the least...

Is this just a function of imessage that the WP cannot process? or is it something I am doing wrong?

I cant get my whole social circle to migrate to whatsapp or anything just because I got cute with my phone choice either. :p.

havox22

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ive had an iphone since it first launched and I traded in a sony candy bar some years ago. So meanwhile, Ive kind of gotten spoiled by the "features" of an iphone that I took for granted.

Thus far, only 1 has really jumped out at me...

text messages.

Everyone I know, and I do mean EVERYONE, has an iphone. And we text, often in groups.

For instance, I have parents and a sister, I have text chains with every combination of these 3 people possible. Its great... also works with friends and coworkers.

Moved to the lumia 920, and now... even though they are still texting to the "group" I don't see the other person it went to. So maybe my mom texts me and my sister, then I get a response from my sister in a different chain. and if I want to respond to both of them, I need to start a new message to send to the 2 of them. its frustrating to say the least...

Is this just a function of imessage that the WP cannot process? or is it something I am doing wrong?

I cant get my whole social circle to migrate to whatsapp or anything just because I got cute with my phone choice either. :p.

Not sure if I am reading this right, but did u turn on Group message in your settings?

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah enable group chat under settings. I think its disabled by default. Also keep in mind that you won't be able to get imessage on the Lumia. I have the same problem with all my friends. Groupme is a good cross platform app if you can convince them. That's what I do

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You still won't be able to see who received the group messages, since iMessage is proprietary.

I tell my friends that use of platform-specific protocols like iMessage or BBM is rude when many of us have non-Apple phones, and to use Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype or another cross-platform service.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you get them to use something like facebook message? My wife has an iphone but likes to use facebook to message me instead which is great since it works on all devices.

Saji Thabolingam

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem at times. There has to be some solution as i have some groups that work and some that don't and almost everyone has iphones. i am an ex-iPhone'r as well

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
This is why Apple is meh to me. They create systems to lock you into their devices and that don't play with others. Then people complain about not being able to use those systems as if it's the other manufacturers fault. Skype is being positioned by MS to be the iMessage/BBM (and more) for WP (and all devices since Skype will work on everything). This is the direction WP is going and frankly with the number of users already on Skype and Live Messenger (merging) this will be in a great position to be a top messaging solution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077