I need help making a decision!! 8x or 920

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm on Verizon, currently with an iPhone 4s. And I hate it. I've been waiting for the new devices to go back to Windows Phone. I am not up for an upgrade from Verizon. If I stayed on Verizon, I would have to buy the 8x off contract, which from a budget stand point is not logical, or add a second line. I could find a use for the second line for my freelance art, but it is not a necessity at this point. Or I could sell my 4s to pay the ETF and switch to AT&T for the 920. The 920 is my first choice, and $100 cheaper. Anybody have any advice on switching from Verizon to AT&T? What's the price difference in plans? etc. What would any of you do?

UPDATE: I would have went with 920, especially with Amazon selling it for a penny this past Saturday, but AT&T wanted a $300 deposit. I've never had t leave a deposit in over 15 yrs, and my credit was always shot. So I added a line and swapped the 8x over to my main line. I'll use the 4s on the new line for my caricatures and freelance art. I use the Square and Sail credit card swipers for each respectively, and neither have a WP app. Not necessary to have two lines, but it'll get used. Loving the 8x, btw.

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is very slightly cheaper than Verizon... if you're with VZW and happy with them, I'd recommend giving the 8X on VZW a try first during your trial period. If you don't like the phone or service, you can return it within a certain amount of time (the carrier should be able to tell you more).

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is very slightly cheaper than Verizon... if you're with VZW and happy with them, I'd recommend giving the 8X on VZW a try first during your trial period. If you don't like the phone or service, you can return it within a certain amount of time (the carrier should be able to tell you more).

I agree. Sounds practical to me. That would give him a chance to try Windows Phone without the obligation of a new contract or losing anything as long as he returned the phone within that 15 day window or whatever it is, if he didn't like it.

I wouldn't sell your iPhone 4S and jump to AT&T unless you are sure the 920 is the phone you want.

Rhodie469

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Jumping carriers for a phone is scary. I'm assuming you are happy with your service with Verizon as am I. For me switching isn't an option, so I'm stuck with the 2 choices for Verizon at the moment which seems like an easy decision for me (8X). In the past 6 years I've gone from Verizon, to ATT, to Sprint, back to Verizon. Really it's the best service in my area, and my only gripe with them before was the phones they offer in comparison to the competitors. Do you want to risk changing services just for a phone? After all that phone will have a different service provider, so just because it's a great phone doesn't mean it will work great.... but that depends on your area and the signal you get I guess. Best of luck with your tough decision. Seems like either way you are willing to pony up a ton of cash for a new phone... I can't relate to you there. The only reason I'm getting a WP is my contract was up as of September and I was waiting to see what new phones were coming out. I personally wouldn't buy a phone for the out of contract price, or pay a cancellation fee and jump services just for a phone.... but that's my opinion. Good luck.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate all the comments. I was a carrier loyalist for a long time, but have since changed views. I need a device that I like and not one I'm setteling for. I have used Windows Phone in the past, and love it. I had the HTC Arrive when I was on Sprint. I left them in March because of, well, a long unimportant story. I miss the prices and unlimited data, but the phone selection was horrible. I am not an Android guy. And I can't see myself continuing using this iPhone...I can't stand it. I do have FiOS, and my bill is a One Bill, so that's nice. As far as service, I'm in Central Jersey/Jersey Shore area. Service is the same on all 3 carriers, by me. Maybe it comes down to the actual phones. Maybe I should go check them out in person. If the 8x is more my type, then I'll stay...if thge 920 is, then I'll switch.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered buying the 8X and if you like it selling your 4S to recoup some of the cost?

Yeah...I just can't afford to put that much out at first. I'd sell it to pay the ETF, because with all my accessories, and the near mint condition it's in, I can get more than the ETF price. But to buy the phone and then sell it I can't do.

Rhodie469

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah...I just can't afford to put that much out at first. I'd sell it to pay the ETF, because with all my accessories, and the near mint condition it's in, I can get more than the ETF price. But to buy the phone and then sell it I can't do.
That's what credit cards were invented for :)

cthulhucometh

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Man, I really like Verizon a lot, great service and all but it always made me mad that they wouldn't support Windows Phone 7. So when Windows Phone 8 came into existence I was hopefully for a high end WP8 that I could upgrade from my HTC Trophy (low end WP7). I did research and saw some promise for the Lumia 920 to be released and then turns out Verizon is going to still only support low end phones. I decied to switch to AT&T when I found I was going to lose my unlimited data and I'd still have to "settle" for a low end WP8. To me that was the last straw. So I'm waiting on a backordered Nokia Lumia 920 and soon as it comes in I'm terminating my Verizon contract.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess the Lumia 822 is not an option, then? I would say go for that one if you're really happy with Verizon. Otherwise, I would say the 920 because I've handled one and used it recently and it is an incredible device. I personally wouldn't recommend the 8X because of all the issues I've heard/read about people having with HTC phones.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
So I just stopped at my local AT&T and Verizon stores to check out both devices. Looks like if Verizon isn't uber generous ( which I suspect they won't be) I will be switching to AT&T for the 920.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has a trade in program, you can get a quote on your device on their website for trade in. You can then put that $ to your bill or anything they sell. Even if you wanted to get an 8X you could do that. The 822 is a fantastic deveice if you wanted a Nokia - seriously, check out the specs.

Rhodie469

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Man, I really like Verizon a lot, great service and all but it always made me mad that they wouldn't support Windows Phone 7. So when Windows Phone 8 came into existence I was hopefully for a high end WP8 that I could upgrade from my HTC Trophy (low end WP7). I did research and saw some promise for the Lumia 920 to be released and then turns out Verizon is going to still only support low end phones. I decied to switch to AT&T when I found I was going to lose my unlimited data and I'd still have to "settle" for a low end WP8. To me that was the last straw. So I'm waiting on a backordered Nokia Lumia 920 and soon as it comes in I'm terminating my Verizon contract.
The HTC isn't a "low end device". ATT has exclusivity on the 920 for 6 months (rumor). After those 6 months I'm sure Verizon will have it's own version.

"AT&T was very generous to get my business! Just sucks waiting on it to ship because it's on backorder."

They are generous if you switch to their service, then as soon as you do the generosity stops. I learned this the hard way a few years ago. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence..... I personally find that most of the time it's just an illusion.

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd go 8x. I've held both, played with both. I'm a pretty big guy (6'2''), and the 8x fits PERFECTLY in my hand.

The 920 is a BIT big and wide. Just on that alone, I'm saying 8x. Also, I like the narrower screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb