WP8 Offer Customized Word Substitution?

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Longtime BlackBerry user here, and I'm wondering if Windows Phone offers customizable word substitution shortcuts for typing specific words. I've loved this feature on BB but haven't yet confirmed if WP has the same thing.

For example, on my BB . . .
I type "hh" + space bar and it automatically converts it to "headed home"
I type "itz" + space bar and it converts to "it's"
I type "wru" + space bar and it converts to "where are you?"

I can create/add any other shortcuts I might come up with. Saves a lot of time and typing effort, so I'm hoping this sort of thing has become sort of standard across various platforms including WP8.

Thanks ahead for any info.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I have never heard of being able to set specific words or phrases to a letter chain, but what the predictive text does is offer words it thinks you might want next. For example if you start typing "i'm on" it will suggest a few words it thinks might fin into that sentence

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Vheissu. I'm familiar with predictive text, which is definitely helpful, but for me isn't as fast as using shortcut substitutions. BlackBerrys come with a large preloaded dictionary of shortcuts and corrections (so it automatically corrects commonly misspelled words), but also allows easy programming of any shortcuts that you might use regularly (like my examples above). It's especially handy for abbreviating longer phrases with just a few letters (ta = thanks again, omw = on my way, icct = in car, can't text).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss