Voice Recognition Not Working

Eric Immerman

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is anybody else having a problem with Voice and song Recognition not working. I always get, "Sorry couldn't hear anything". People can hear me fine on my speaker phone. So I know the microphone works. But it does not recognize any speech.

The other interesting thing is that when I tell it to listen to music to figure out the song. It always finds the same song even when the phone is in complete silence. It finds "Workout by Vicious Circle & Universal Project." I can only assume that album is nothing but silence.;)

Another interesting fact is the voice recognition works fine via a Bluetooth connection to my car.

Any thoughts?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't help, but I can't get it to work without WIFI on my WP 7.5 Titan II...never have. It only works for me on WIFI. I do have the setting set to Enable Speech Over the Network.

Does yours work with WIFI?

MLundell

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the same thing happening in certain situations Get "Sorry couldn't hear anything". For me, it looks like this happens when bluetooth is enabled and I am in range of a paired device, otherwise it seems to work. Sounds like a software update from MS is in order! (Nokia 920 on AT&T)

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm on an 8X and it works flawlessly; in fact, I stumbled upon it accidentally not knowing it existed in WP8. As far as actual recognition is concerned, it outperformed my buddy's Siri on his iPhone 4s (although Siri did search faster, I think that's because on iOS it's all done with one app whereas on WP8 it shells the recognized text out to the Bing app for searching. So there was the "opening the app" time to deal with.)

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So long as I use familiar English words, the voice recognition is good on my 822, sometimes better than the Bing search. When I asked for “Starbucks near here,” it understood perfectly, but Bing delivered restaurants in the next town over rather than ones that are closer. When I specified the town, Bing came through. Not surprisingly, when I tried for the Dali Restaurant, it first heard Dolly, but on a second try, it got it right. I'm impressed how well it does.

davidkajones

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Some times it works, some times it may not work. Its due to the variation in the accent. First we need to train our voice to sync with voice recognition software. For our audio transcription work we have used many voice recognition softwares, but nothing worth as manual work.

Last edited:

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
What did AT&T ultimately tell you to do? Swap it for a new one?

I have the same issue sometimes. If I watch the little audio meter, it is just flatlined. Calls work fine. Speaker phone calls work fine. Just voice recognition stuff will not register. I think it has to do with the headphone jack. The first time it happened, I decided to test it with a set of headphones that have an in-line mic. It worked fine with the headphones. As I was unplugging the head phones, I heard a significant amount of static. I used the headphone plug sort of like a pipe cleaner, in and out - in and out, a few times and voice recognition was back to normal.

The last time it did it, I was in the car. I was a little frutrated and tapped the top of the phone against the steering wheel, not hard mind you, just a little tap tap. Bingo, the audio meter lines jumped and the phone could hear me.

Hasn't happened since but I don't use the voice feature very much.

As I think this is a hardware issue -> I am using an Lumia 920.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what your exact circumstance is, but maybe this will help. I listen to podcasts in the car, using aux input because my car stereo's BT does not have streaming capability, only hands free. What I've learned is that if the aux cable is plugged into the phone, that's where it looks for input, even though the aux input has no mic input. So if I'm plugged in, and a text comes, it interrupts the sound (bluetooth to car) and announces the text, but it doesn't hear me say to read it. Unplugging the cable seems to just have the effect of canceling the text, and the podcast continues through the phone speaker.

Not sure if this fits your situation, but this is mine.

John Caudill

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
BUMP :smile: Any resolution to this issue? I have a Lumia 920 that is doing the same thing - "Sorry couldn't hear anything". I noticed this when I was in the car which automatically connects with the phone (uConnect in a Jeep GC) so I'll try again with Bluetooth connected and again after turning Bluetooth off and see if that helps.

Update:

Here are the results I got from my quick tests:
  • Bluetooth on and connected to uConnect - microphones do not function.
  • Bluetooth off - voice commands work fine.
  • Bluetooth on and not connected to anything - voice commands work fine.

What it appears to be doing is attempting to use the microphones in the BT device instead of the phone's internal microphones. Since my vehicles' interaction with the phone via BT is limited to specific commands for making/receiving calls, this process fails.

So it doesn't matter if the BT is on or off, connected or not; it depends on whether or not the phone and/or BT device you're connected to supports passing the voice commands the phone is waiting to hear.

Last edited:

huskydog1953

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. The "solution" provided by hopmedic worked for me - just root around with the headphone microjack and it starts working again.

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue sometimes. If I watch the little audio meter, it is just flatlined. Calls work fine. Speaker phone calls work fine. Just voice recognition stuff will not register. I think it has to do with the headphone jack. The first time it happened, I decided to test it with a set of headphones that have an in-line mic. It worked fine with the headphones. As I was unplugging the head phones, I heard a significant amount of static. I used the headphone plug sort of like a pipe cleaner, in and out - in and out, a few times and voice recognition was back to normal.

The last time it did it, I was in the car. I was a little frutrated and tapped the top of the phone against the steering wheel, not hard mind you, just a little tap tap. Bingo, the audio meter lines jumped and the phone could hear me.

Hasn't happened since but I don't use the voice feature very much.

As I think this is a hardware issue -> I am using an Lumia 920.

Logged on just to say that the tip of tapping the phone worked perfectly for me! Was having trouble with my Lumia 920 as it does not recognize voice at all. Tapped it HARD on my lap and on the sofa, and the small meter came up little by little, and eventual voice recognition works!

Thanks a lot!

Update:
Oh well, it listened to me for 10 minutes and stopped working again. Pretty sure ots hardware issue, as if I tap it hard, the meter shows something, but just wont listen to me anymore. Wonder if this got anything to do with my bad call quality....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo