WP8 - what's going on?!

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
After my little day of vitriol I've calmed down a but, cancelled my rma and will stick out for an update

listen. If your phone reboots it's a hardware issue and you need to RMA it. I went though this with my first WP7 phone (LG optimus) and it would reboot randomly all the time, RMAed it, they said nothin was wrong with it so I sold it and got a samsung focus.. and it never randomly reboots.

It will always reboot and you'll never be happy with it as long as you have it.

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
listen. If your phone reboots it's a hardware issue and you need to RMA it. I went though this with my first WP7 phone (LG optimus) and it would reboot randomly all the time, RMAed it, they said nothin was wrong with it so I sold it and got a samsung focus.. and it never randomly reboots.

It will always reboot and you'll never be happy with it as long as you have it.

You're saying that software/firmware can't cause random reboots? I think it is highly possible that the rebooting is hardware related...doesn't mean they can't/won't find/fix the problem.

It appears that WP8 was extremely rushed and nobody was able to properly test the OS. It also sounds like both Nokia and htc rushed production of their devices and, as a result, they may have shipped out faulty devices. This entire launch appears to have been a massive, disasterous train wreck. Who knows what is causing the rebooting? They better fix it, though or I will just stay with iOS.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Am i the only one it works for, or am i the only one that isn't that bothered, and therefore doesn't get impatient and force it manually?
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Am i the only one it works for, or am i the only one that isn't that bothered, and therefore doesn't get impatient and force it manually?
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

Probably you are the only one. Because why else would anyone else pay so much money and not be bothered at all about how things don't work after paying!?

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree. I paid ?400 for this thing and this morning on top of the other stuff we had the Xbox Live outages. No reboots during that btw. Then once it is back - reboot.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have an 8X. I know most apps are WP7 apps, that isn't my worry. The OS itself is buggy. I tried to make excuses but can't accept daily random reboots. Nobody can argue that as being normal. And it isn't device specific - the Lumias have it too so it must be an OS bug. My skype app works when it is open, and I know it is a preview, but it was meant to be integrated - MS simply didn't finish the OS and the bits they promised before release. At least with Android I can fix bits myself.

I'm not anti WP at all - I really want it to succeed - but I am wary of whether with this many bugs at release it can!

You shouldn't be getting daily random reboots. You might have bad hardware.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
It's Windows. Did anybody expect anything different? There will be bugs. My phone has had no random reboot, but has locked up twice while typing and battery leaves a lot to be desired. I remember reading an article about Microsoft basically putting software out that they know has problems and fixing as they go. It is just the way technology goes anymore. Things are changing faster and faster and company A can't keep up with company B and some idiot in a suit somewhere wants results. So as consumers we get a load of bugs to suffer through until they fix it. Once problems are resolved, it's time for the next version and new set if problems. I'll still take all the problems Windows has over an a** backwards Apple product any day.

cthulhucometh

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ever thing it's your actual phone and not the OS's fault? HTC is known for having problems, I'm not one bit surprised to see people talking about the 8x and like SnailUK said, nothing will be perfect the day it comes out.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't see a point why we should become fanatic fans who would defend faults though? Most of these features are the ones they advertised at launch! If those specific features were working fine and none of the WP7 bugs were addressed, I bet the forum negativity would be to half. But most threads we scan through are surprised frustration because what was advertised on the stage itself doesn't work! It's like advertising siri and then when the customer tries it, siri throws errors! - That never happens right? Even a** backwards Apple can get their star features right!

As long as bugs are concerned - yes bugs are always going to hit and then there are hot fixes, which we won't see with Microsoft.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
My bing lockscreen works fine, changes daily. Skype is a preview version still so it is not fully working yet. The store issues is likely a bigger issue on their backend as they had some Xbox Live issues last night as well. As for the Xbox music sync and such I think they do need to do some work there and fix things, I think they got the basics in and figured they would tune it after release. (Likely they wanted to release all these new things with the WP8/W8 launch and simply couldn't get 100% of what they wanted done with all those areas so we got slightly beta versions that will get updates as they dial things in.) First world, early adopter issues. =)

madan325

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Skype is live on marketplace I just installed on my Lumia 920. Its a preview version 2.0...

check it out guys. I was really happy to see it on the list today. I hope u'll enjoy.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Yeah people getting reboots should try a hard reset and set things back up to see if that fixes it or take them back and replace them.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Bing lock screen pics work great here. No complaints from me yet. I have had 1 random reboot. Only negative I have is that I can feel WP8 is not as polished as WP7.5 yet

Last edited:

DropPass

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The only issues we have seen on our two L920s is the Kids Corner lock screen issue.

We have had no other issues in the week we have had our phones.

No reboots, no Bing lock screen issues, etc...

Our batteries even seem to operate as advertised! :p They usually last about 16 hours on both phones with full charge and regular usage, so no issue there.

Overall we are Very happy with our purchase!

graigsmith

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
"How did you resolve your issues?"

i was unable to resolve my issues. couldn't ever get internet sharing to work... and my sync app for mac stopped working, every time i plug it in it crashes.

took it back :(

i also had random lockups. and a hot battery or something. looking back on it, i bet my phone was totally defective.

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Lockscreen apps don't work - FB or Bing wallpapers, never change!
Bing wallpapers changes fine for me.

Store is throwing up errors on trying to update apps.
Store has only been down for me during maintenance. You do know you might not be able to access the store when plugged into a PC right?

Xbox Music DRM is pain. All the music that's dragged and dropped works and then stops, then works again!
I don't have any experience with this.

Xbox Music cloud sync - fails every time. Whatever I buy on W8 should go to cloud and then WP8 right? It doesn't!
I don't have experience with this either.

Skype - anyone got it to run in background? For me even if it's running, it gives resuming screen and then connects for a couple of seconds. I don't appear online ever to any of my skype contacts!
Skype is in beta right now. It's not going to be flawless right now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz