Storage details - other category

sheldork

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I knew it! Asphalt 7 installation will bump this thread up by a bit, we are the victims of the others space.

I think MS added it for a good reason, forgot to add a reset to 0 once an app is deleted.... This is not done MS, we need you to declare that you are aware of the problem (like Nokia did with daylight photos on 920 & roll out a fix)

@Fitu Pham, I guess reset your phone right asap after you have backed up pics, music & vids.

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I knew it! Asphalt 7 installation will bump this thread up by a bit, we are the victims of the others space.

I think MS added it for a good reason, forgot to add a reset to 0 once an app is deleted.... This is not done MS, we need you to declare that you are aware of the problem (like Nokia did with daylight photos on 920 & roll out a fix)

@Fitu Pham, I guess reset your phone right asap after you have backed up pics, music & vids.

I am doing it, and will never ever install any apps again. This is not smart phone any more, somehow I call it Stupid Phone, damn, if I can really use my phone only making call and texting, why should I buy WP then?
MS might think they build a perfect phone OS but they forget Nothing is Perfect.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Other" storage and Downloading big sized apps

I mean 900Mb compared to 2.55Gb seems fine to me but it still wont let me download it.

That's because it requires more storage space after installation, not just 900MB.

I want to know if:

1.Restores/redownloads all apps i have

Yes, once you sign-in using the same Microsoft account.

2.Accounts are all restored and back to normal/synced

Yes, once you re-add or configure them.

3.Restores saved data on apps

No, only "app list+settings" and "text messages" if enabled in settings.

4.Restores all pictures

Only if you have enabled to upload the pictures to Skydrive. Otherwise you can save them to your computer and sync again.

5.Restores positions of live tiles on my home screen (not a big deal to others, but a big importance to me)

No, but you can take a screenshot of your current Start Screen layout, that would help you in recalling the arrangement.

If you want to give one last try at reducing the huge "Other" storage space before doing hard reset, give this a try, it has worked well for some people as per the reviews.
Shrink Storage | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

xirsteon

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
there's an app in the store for wp8 devices called 'shrink storage' that supposingly clears out some of the 'other' space but the reviews are mixed. Some says it takes 10-15mins and frees some space...some says it adds more and doesn't free up any space. You guys might want to give it a try....YMMV on this as I'm still on wp7.5 (HD7) and so I can't try this out.

disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with this app and as such I'm not liable for any add'l storage that is added by this app. Gl.

leonkehoe

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
It's disappointing. Windows Phone 8 is otherwise an extremely elegant, well designed OS. This seems like a big oversight on Microsoft's part.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
there's an app in the store for wp8 devices called 'shrink storage' that supposingly clears out some of the 'other' space but the reviews are mixed. Some says it takes 10-15mins and frees some space...some says it adds more and doesn't free up any space. You guys might want to give it a try....YMMV on this as I'm still on wp7.5 (HD7) and so I can't try this out.

disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with this app and as such I'm not liable for any add'l storage that is added by this app. Gl.

I already said that back in this thread, but it is good to repeat it so other people can have profits of its work :).
It helped drain my other with almost a gigabyte, but now it won't work anymore on my phone. My other is now on 5,2gb!
If this trend is keeping on and the shrink storage app won't work for me anymore, my other will grow to 8gb! It can't grow any further because then i have no space left anymore.

xirsteon

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I already said that back in this thread, but it is good to repeat it so other people can have profits of its work :).
It helped drain my other with almost a gigabyte, but now it won't work anymore on my phone. My other is now on 5,2gb!
If this trend is keeping on and the shrink storage app won't work for me anymore, my other will grow to 8gb! It can't grow any further because then i have no space left anymore.

Thx for chiming in on your experience. I'm in the stages of buying / considering an unlocked 920 and perhaps even waiting to see what Elop and co. Come up with for 2nd half of this year. If MS doesn't address this issue, I may have to go from my hd7 to android temporarily until they openly admit the issues and resolve them. Obviously some knuckle head in the Windows phone dev, team designed this whole storage section of the OS and some engineers decided what and how the OS stores data in the "Other" part of the local storage. If I've to guess, these same engineers forgot to implement a garbage collect mechanism as to how the 'other' storage will be cleared. I suppose this wouldn't e a problem for people with 32gb storage or if users of smaller storage built in could install apps on microSD cards. Has anyone here posted in the Microsoft answers forums? Or is MS just ignoring these small issues?

This issue is such a stupid oversight by the MS win phone development team. When you start pulling stupid stunts like this, you start falling on your face. As much as I want to steer clear of 'Droid os, I may have to use torture myself to use it for a while as my hd7 doesn't charge anymore...and I've had to keep swapping batteries to use it...

silentspeedz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just to throw my two cents in,

The Shrink Storage app didnt change my storage space at all, it didnt increase or decrease it.

I also just finished downloading Asphalt and this is the result

2.55Gb free ---> 4Gb free

Just deleted Asphalt

4Gb ---> 5Gb free now

leonkehoe

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
If you head over to the Windows Phone Facebook page you'll see a post I've made about this problem. 'Like' it and even share it if you want to. Hopefully a response, different from those received so far, will be forthcoming.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

sheldork

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Glad Joe has acknowledged the fact & they are working on improvements for other space betterments in future updates, the question is how much free disk space will it need my 162 mb is now 85 mb & will it undo the damage already done?

I think a reset will be needed to start from scratch, may be the smart update (which could detect data & unrelated app available to reclaim that disk space) will take a longer time to be developed, will it be Gameloft releases more bulky shyte @ sweet charge of a dollar, if now, how much will they be impacted?

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Glad Joe has acknowledged the fact & they are working on improvements for other space betterments in future updates, the question is how much free disk space will it need my 162 mb is now 85 mb & will it undo the damage already done?

I think a reset will be needed to start from scratch, may be the smart update (which could detect data & unrelated app available to reclaim that disk space) will take a longer time to be developed, will it be Gameloft releases more bulky shyte @ sweet charge of a dollar, if now, how much will they be impacted?

I think it would be great if the new update comes with the details of other storage. Said, you can go in to see what are there in the Other part, and you can uninstall or remove things in the Other directly, somehow it would be like App Manager. Hope to see that soon, and hope to see Volume control fix (saperate from ring, notifications, media), Screen Rotation OFF, vibration together with ringtone, and so on.

Thanks!

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be great if the new update comes with the details of other storage. Said, you can go in to see what are there in the Other part, and you can uninstall or remove things in the Other directly, somehow it would be like App Manager. Hope to see that soon, and hope to see Volume control fix (saperate from ring, notifications, media), Screen Rotation OFF, vibration together with ringtone, and so on.

Thanks!

If Microsoft actually add these features in wp8, that'd be great!

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday before I backup all pictures and videos

qu2enyqu.jpg

I back up my media to Macbook and uninstalled all games

e5y5ahyb.jpg

Then I uninstall all apps even Sky Drive but except stock apps

urupamyz.jpg

After that I deleted internet caches, apps history, and all maps (actually there is only one map)

egynaje8.jpg

Now I am factory reseting the phone and it stuck on this screen over an hour

eryryha5.jpg

Hope it's not brick, sigh...

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday before I backup all pictures and videos

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/04/qu2enyqu.jpg

I back up my media to Macbook and uninstalled all games

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/04/e5y5ahyb.jpg

Then I uninstall all apps even Sky Drive but except stock apps

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/04/urupamyz.jpg

After that I deleted internet caches, apps history, and all maps (actually there is only one map)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/04/egynaje8.jpg

Now I am factory reseting the phone and it stuck on this screen over an hour

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/04/eryryha5.jpg

Hope it's not brick, sigh...

Finally, it's brick!!!
Ok, never ever Windows Phone nor Nokia again, bye2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members