Storage details - other category

Dragule

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: What about the "Other" storage section ?

Thanks for doing tests :)

But I think that you actually have the same issue as all of us:
When you installed the apps, Other grew from 2.03 to 2.41.
But when you uninstalled it, it only decreased to 2.3.
That means that you lost 300 MB of free space, and god knows where it is.

That's why we can't install tons of apps, and uninstall them, and do whatever we want with our phone. And that's kind of annoying ^^
I don't even dare install more apps :(

blegate

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

True but Free space increased from 2.23gb to 2.27gb- a slight increase. I don't know of any os where uninstalling apps is 100% perfect. For example, I had remnants of files with android but the difference is that the files resided on the SD card which was easily corrected. Windows 'other' is hidden from us.....

The real purpose for my test has to do with my mobile carrier calling me tomorrow to discuss replacing these 2 810s with galaxy s3 at no cost. I'm still a littler torn on which way to go given that I understand this storage issue a little better.

Dragule

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

True but Free space increased from 2.23gb to 2.27gb- a slight increase

Indeed, that's strange.
But still, you lost 0.25GB of free space, for absolutely nothing ^^
And that is pretty strange. And the actual problem.

But yeah, what's sure is that the OS react strangely to installing/uninstalling apps :)

TheXFather

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

IMO i think the tiles are saved in the other section, also mails, and other things that r "temporary" downloaded.
Because: tiles can't be saved in rams (reduce power usage). so they must be saved in other. Tell me if i'm wrong.
Also i dunno any other place where mails could be saved. i mean if u have the option to save all mail in there and u got 1k mails u realize they have to be somewhere.
Also all folders r synced by default if i'm not mistaken.

I haven't tested this cause i got like 3k mails in my inboxes and i'm not on wifi now i'll try and find out.
:D that's my 2 cents.

blegate

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

That's true, emails, temp files (e.g. IE history, cookies, etc) are stored there as well as some of the program as it is installed. If you reduce the number of days synced for your email accounts this will effect this the size of this Other folder. Again as I've stated earlier this is very much like Android when it came out 4 years ago. Back then we had issues with temp files, etc filling up the phones, etc; however, the internal storage on those phones were no where close to what we have today (I believe it was 71MB internal). Eventually someone figured out how to move temp cache to the SD card as well as program installation (i.e. it was rooted and hacked). Eventually Google bought in and perfected the saving of apps to SD cards by ensuring they were encrypted (i.e. not easily accessible for pirating). I highly doubt someone will figure this out without MS assistance since considering WP8 isn't open source but I could be wrong.

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Android utilities allow you to clear out caches and APK files. Frees up lots of space. Desperately need something similar - is anyone aware of any storage management utilities for WP8?

akar33

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

Does this happen in WP7 also? Ofcourse it doesn't have a readout of the amount of memory conserved, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed their memory space being sent to the ether.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I just uninstalled 1 Gig of games and now I have:

music+videos: 2.82GB
pictures: 1.44GB
apps: 2.46GB
other: 7.65GB !!!! it was 7.73 before I delete the games
system: 1.91GB
free space: 12.84GB

EDIT: After deleting more games I have:

music+videos: 2.82GB
pictures: 1.44GB
apps: 1.97GB
other: 7.59GB
system: 1.91GB
free space: 13.38GB

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

I have posted before under the artical on WP central that i made a test and others decreased by uninstalling an application. Now again i did and still dereasing so i wanna share pictures. On my Lumia 920, others is now 3.44 GB already... it was 3.47GB and Apps was 772.05 MB, i deleted an Application to see if others will increase, but no it didnt.. After deletion: Apps is 717.75 MB and others is 3.44 GB.. Obviously it decreased . So as long as im removing data its dreasing not increasing at all..please check the images below and look at the time to verfiy the time difference
wp_ss_20130108_0004[1].png
then i deleted applications:
wp_ss_20130108_0005[1].png
So, do i have the bug? can someone explain to me more..Also, if i dont have it, can ppl who has this issue to name there device and carrier.. Please let me know

My phone never freezed and its international so its unlocked..No issues till now and of course no update for international yet. Im wondering if locked phones for AT&T are facing these issues.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

I don't think this is correct. I had a Windows Phone update pushed to my phone this morning however after installing it, OTHER is still well above 3GB.
So finally, we got an official response, from someone who posted on an other thread !

Well, that's not really satisfying. But at least, now we are sure that Microsoft is aware about it.
Is it an issue, or is it normal ? In any case, I guess it will be fixed soon.

Wait & See :)

Sergey Matvienko

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

So, do i have the bug? can someone explain to me more..Also, if i dont have it, can ppl who has this issue to name there device and carrier.. Please let me know

That's OS bug. It is not confined to any particular phone or carrier. It looks like there is no real fix for that at the moment - the only way to clear Other partition is to hard reset your phone.

Hopefully next update will fix this issue.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Yeah its a Bug, Other is increasing and seems there is no control for it...Well, international is getting the updates lets hope it will have the fix included on Feb...

Pikezer1337

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

I would be fine with it if it actually did what some people suggested in that "other" caches files until you start getting low on memory then it uses that memory for whatever your installing or what not, but through tests it does not do that. For 8x users like myself who have a 8gb phone this is killer considering I have 2.5 gb in music, and 3.2gb in Other, and the system takes up 1.8gb, I have only 500mb left which is crazy.

electriclamb

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

yeah im creeping up on 6 gigs. I dont get it. Thats a lot of space, twice as much as my current installed apps. Hopefully someone finds a way to get us access to those files eventually since nothings impossible when it comes to getting access to stuff we arent supposed to

haggishunter81

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have found the same thing, when I got the phone I kept an eye on this in the first hour/two while I installed my apps to it, i have a Lumia 820, it comes with 8gb, as near as makes no difference, 2gb is taken up by os, almost 3gb in other and I've had to remove a good chunk of the Xbox live games I've bought so I have space available for anything else I download, this is quite worrying for me, it's a big stumbling block if it can't be sorted, I had an hd7 before and I could not fault it, since I got this the main game I played (full house poker) isn't available, adobe reader isn't there (I used this all the time) and I'm struggling with storage, all in all this is quite disappointing experience, two years I had my hd7 and I loved it, I jumped on the phone 8 bandwagon as soon as I could and I'm sorry to say that I have been thoroughly unimpressed with the platform, when I opened and set up my HTC I was like 'oh, I can do this, get that do these things' since I got my wp8 h/set it's been more like 'aw I can get that, can't play that or that anymore, and I really need to watch what I'm putting on that' don't get me wrong, I'm not saying 'MEH, I'M GETTING RID OF THIS PEICE OF CRAP AND GETTING AN ANDROID!' this is my preference of smartphone os and it's just very frustrating that these barriers keep being put up that are kinda stopping me from enjoying the phone.... Sorry that was a bit long winded, I'm sure I'm not the only one out there though.....

Seany72

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The serious issue here also is nobody having access to it. Like a cache no one can clear. I had an HTC 8S and my internal memory went low due to this and as apps cannot be moved to an SD card this is a real issue. It simply makes phones like the 8S crippled as no apps can be moved to external source like Android and internal memory is used up fast even when not being used. If MS don't sort it out I'll be leaving the platform. Sorry

Drydwir

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Hello everyone
Same problem here, I have a HTC 8s since last saturday and without downloading a lot of apps, I only have 350 mo free. Reading all of your posts of this issue, I'll just stop buying more apps, too bad for me and too bad for Microsoft.

foxik_suomi

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

I have posted before under the artical on WP central that i made a test and others decreased by uninstalling an application. Now again i did and still dereasing so i wanna share pictures. On my Lumia 920, others is now 3.44 GB already... it was 3.47GB and Apps was 772.05 MB, i deleted an Application to see if others will increase, but no it didnt.. After deletion: Apps is 717.75 MB and others is 3.44 GB.. Obviously it decreased . So as long as im removing data its dreasing not increasing at all..please check the images below and look at the time to verfiy the time difference

Well, if Other increased after deleting apps that would be much worse :) I'm not encouraging you to do anything, but this bug could've been detected if you checked how much free space you had (and how big Other was) before installing something new/sending files. I am almost sure your phone has it as well, but with Lumia's 32 Gb this bug doesn't seem too important tbh.
I noticed the same issue with my Limia 920 about a month ago or so, and apart from this the phone works like a peach. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.
Also, as far as I know, maps also are saved in Other.

TheXFather

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Hello everyone
Same problem here, I have a HTC 8s since last saturday and without downloading a lot of apps, I only have 350 mo free. Reading all of your posts of this issue, I'll just stop buying more apps, too bad for me and too bad for Microsoft.

u should get the apps u want (not games). I have the 8s 2 and my free space is down 2 100 MB, but i also got most of the apps i wanted, probably short a couple.
Anyway my point is the non game apps don't add that much to other.
IMO temp files(emails, etc basically everything u sync) and tiles take space.

So don't worry about apps just get what u want cause most of them r lower the 4 MB. 350 might not seem much, cause u got 2TB on your pc, but it's enogh, for now anyway (as in: until it gets fixed).

Dragule

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

Hey !
I just checked my Other, and it's now 800MB.
It was around 1.4GB a few day ago !

I wonder what happened. Maybe the apps that I deleted to do a test 10 days ago, are finally totally gone of my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3