Storage details - other category

anonymous123456987

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: What about the "Other" storage section ?

from Nokia discussions:

The Other category consists mostly of various operating system caches (temporary files), Maps and 3rd party application data. Also email, calendar, contacts and Office application data counts towards this figure, but are typically smaller contributors.

The figure shows how much content, downloaded through normal use of the phone, remains available for re-use. For example, when the phone is used to browse the Internet, or install applications and application updates, the caches related to these functions grow in size correspondingly. Another contributor to growth of this category is Maps data, whether it is downloaded on-demand when browsing around in Nokia Maps or when you download the maps of entire countries or other regions for off-line use. Furthermore, Photos, Music and Video create an index that grows with number the files located in Phone memory and in any inserted micro-SD card.

the link: Re: What is "Other" under Storage? - Nokia Support Discussions

anonymous123456987

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
from Nokia discussions:

The Other category consists mostly of various operating system caches (temporary files), Maps and 3rd party application data. Also email, calendar, contacts and Office application data counts towards this figure, but are typically smaller contributors.

The figure shows how much content, downloaded through normal use of the phone, remains available for re-use. For example, when the phone is used to browse the Internet, or install applications and application updates, the caches related to these functions grow in size correspondingly. Another contributor to growth of this category is Maps data, whether it is downloaded on-demand when browsing around in Nokia Maps or when you download the maps of entire countries or other regions for off-line use. Furthermore, Photos, Music and Video create an index that grows with number the files located in Phone memory and in any inserted micro-SD card.

the link: Re: What is "Other" under Storage? - Nokia Support Discussions

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Who is your carrier? I read on multiple reviews that the AT&T 8x had 14.56 GB of storage available out of the box. I was playing around with the Verizon store model a couple of weeks ago...it said there was something like 11.26 GB available (I'm sure that people had been taking pictures, sending texts, possibly downloaded free apps, etc). How much bloat ware crap is Verizon puting on their version that can be removed? Hopefully enough to free up a couple more GB.

I agree. I have Verizon 8x and I was so surprised how little memory I has available when I first fired up my phone. After deleting NFL mobile and their GPS app, I was able to get a decent memory available. But the data sense app takes alot of space. Also I can't even delete Verizon account app nor data sense.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
another tip, NEVER set your email accounts to "load all" messages. After setting it up, with no apps installed, it filles more than 3 GB, most of it mails -..

John D II

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I did an experiment between my wifes 822 and mine. Both of our Other were around 4gb. I reset her phone (very easy process as it downloads your apps and contacts for you) Her Other went down under 1gb. It has crept up to around 2gb now with a month of usage. Mine without ever being reset is now at 4.5gb with the same type of usage. I really hope they clear this up with an update. I would have to reset them every 10 months to a year, liveable but still not where WP8 needs to be heading.

Antchexec

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me that, in the likelihood MS has dug itself into a hole with the OS, a sensible short term measure would be to enable map data to be saved to the data card.

Not much help for Lumia 920 owners, I admit; but a huge bonus for 820 owners with 64GB cards installed. We could just download the entire database and forget about it; and free up some of that ‘other’ rubbish…hopefully.

However, longer term, it really must sort this problem.

For those trying to work out what might be going on with 'other', here are my stats:

Phone Lumia 820: On phone: Music+Videos 7.88MB; Apps 750MB; Other 2.46GB; System 1.90GB; Free Space 2.31GB
On Card: Music+Videos 27.42GB; Pictures 8.42MB; Other 541MB; Free Space 31.52GB

1.2GB of Map Data

No Emails or Texts; cleared IE cache; cleared Map and Drive history.

Last edited:

Antchexec

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, here's a thing!

I read elsewhere that someone noticed (after much analysing) that his 'Other' went up when he uploaded to his Sky Drive. More in hope than expectation, I uploaded 10MB of pictures from my Albums to my SkyDrive and my 'Other' went to 2.47GB from 2.46GB (see above for details). Free Space is now 2.30GB. Deleting those files from the Sky Drive has achieved nothing, as far as the phone's 'Other' is concerned; and I am 10 MB shorter of memory; but happier because I will now be disabling automatic uploads from the camera, immediately. So much for the "additional 7GB" MS keeping harping on about!

This may not be difinitive (or only a small part of a bigger problem), but with the only recovery method being a complete reset, I am not risking running out of 'Other'. That said, I'm sure if uploading to SkyDrive works like this, then my guess is that other apps do too.

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I also found a dude that chatted with Microsoft support. It seems that MIcrosoft is aware of the problem, so that is good news :):

Aled D.: The Other section holds program files, and some programs leave behind files even when you've deleted them. Updating the phone will clear this. Have you updated recently?
Me: not sure how to update. I always install all market updates. Is there another way?
Aled D.: Go to settings > updates and see if there is an update pending.
Me: After checking for updates, it says "your phone is up to date"
Aled D.: In that case the only way to clear the Other section is to hard reset the phone. Or you could wait for the next update.
Me: ok, I think I will wait as long as I can. Is there any way to tell which apps take up the the most space?
Aled D.: When you install an app, you can see how big it is. There is no other way unfortunately.
Me: Ok, lastly are there any scheduled updates coming up?
Aled D.: I'm not made aware of an update until it's about to be released, so I couldn't tell you, sorry.
Me: OK, thanks for your time.

Link to the discussion is What is "Other" under Storage? - Microsoft Community

From the same thread, a moderator has become aware of the problem and asked MS to investigate:

7thSense replied on January 27, 2013

MVP Community Moderator Community Star
In reply to saurabhsood post on January 27, 2013
I have escalated this problem to Microsoft to make sure they investigate if this is an OS issue or not.

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for sharing this information with us, Tiwo. We sure ARE waiting for MS to do something about this.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone observed the "behavior" of the "Others" storage section with the Facebook integration feature of Windows Phone 8? I am planning to integrate Facebook to my phone, but I'm worried that all the photo hub updates, chat integration and status integration features would eat the remaining (120.91MB) free space of my phone. Auto-uploading photos to Skydrive DOES increase the "Others" sections as observed, but I'm not sure if it is (and am hoping that it is not) the same case for Facebook integration. Any advice on this?

Ixolite

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, there is hope. I just got greeted by 'low space' warning on my Lumia 820, with Other section clocking at about 3GB and about 300MB or so free space left. But after the 'low space' alert the Other section shrunk to 1.54GB! Wheeee.

It happened when a newly downloaded app started installing, I think that may have triggered the clean up. I already ran into problem of being unable to install some apps due to low space (actually had 1GB free, lol) and that didn't nudge Other.

?EDIT? Other has actually let go of another 150-200MB over night. Interesting.

Last edited:

Manoj_Kumar

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Is Microsoft working on this issue and been notified on this ?..

As I cont see any resolution or updates on this. Everyone is placing there queries alone.

My Lumia 920 is left with only 17GB space.
Others now its around 4.7GB.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Well, there is hope. I just got greeted by 'low space' warning on my Lumia 820, with Other section clocking at about 3GB and about 300MB or so free space left. But after the 'low space' alert the Other section shrunk to 1.54GB! Wheeee.

It happened when a newly downloaded app started installing, I think that may have triggered the clean up. I already ran into problem of being unable to install some apps due to low space (actually had 1GB free, lol) and that didn't nudge Other.

•EDIT• Other has actually let go of another 150-200MB over night. Interesting.

For someone who has only 116.97MB (it shrunk from my last post) of free space, this is indeed INTERESTING. According to MS, the "Other" will automatically shrink if the phone has received some updates. Is it possible that your phone has received an update that has caused the shrinking of the "Other"? What is your OS version (seen in Settings - About (tap more information)?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

•EDIT• Other has actually let go of another 150-200MB over night. Interesting.
This didn't happen with me at all. I got the alert for Portico and went to download but was instead greeted by a "not enough space" error. Nothing freed up, and my OTHER was over 3Gb.

Ixolite

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

For someone who has only 116.97MB (it shrunk from my last post) of free space, this is indeed INTERESTING. According to MS, the "Other" will automatically shrink if the phone has received some updates. Is it possible that your phone has received an update that has caused the shrinking of the "Other"? What is your OS version (seen in Settings - About (tap more information)?

No, I did not get an OS update, I'm on 1232.2109.1242.1002

I got the "not enough space" error too earlier when trying to install a game (Parking Mania to be exact - http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/213829-how-much-space-do-you-need-install-app.html) and had to free up the space by deleting other apps.

This time however I just hit on the the download button for Skulls of the Shogun, without much hope for success, but it actually downloaded and started installing. I left it for a bit, when I came back I saw the 'low space' notice and discovered the Other section shrinkage once I dismissed the notice.

My guess is that the app installer triggered the clean up when it ran out of space *while* installing the game.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

No, I did not get an OS update, I'm on 1232.2109.1242.1002

I got the "not enough space" error too earlier when trying to install a game (Parking Mania to be exact - http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/213829-how-much-space-do-you-need-install-app.html) and had to free up the space by deleting other apps.

This time however I just hit on the the download button for Skulls of the Shogun, without much hope for success, but it actually downloaded and started installing. I left it for a bit, when I came back I saw the 'low space' notice and discovered the Other section shrinkage once I dismissed the notice.

My guess is that the app installer triggered the clean up when it ran out of space *while* installing the game.

GOOD NEWS

I've "forced" my phone to lose its free space by browsing and browsing to increase the web cache. As expected, I received the Low Phone Memory alert. But, instead of clicking "Settings" which I always did, I chose to "Close" and dismiss the warning just as member lxolite did in post #105. And voila, my 98MB (which used to be 116MB a few hours ago) of free space grew back to 365.94MB! I know this is not that much, but at least it is better than 98MB.

But here's the kick: a few moments ago my free space was 365.94MB, now (just about a minute later) it is at 366.30MB, and it seems to be growing continuously. I shall keep this forum updated as this seems to be very similar to lxolite's experience as narrated in post #102. Now it's at 367.36MB.

I suppose the choosing to "Close" and dismiss the low phone memory warning forces WP8 to clear up the unnecessary cache it has accumulated in the "Others" storage section. Has anyone experienced the same? Try doing this (if you're adventurous) by purposely filling up your cache (by browsing, downloading maps, installing apps, etc) until you get the Low Phone Memory Warning then choose "Close", and let us know if you experience the same thing.

Update: Now my free space is at 376.58MB and is continuously growing (the "Other" section is shrinking).

Last edited:

aidey

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Hey irvin792,

For the second time my HTC 8S has just hit 00.00 MB, so I...
1) Switched off and on again - 4 MB free
2) Browsed lots on the internet - 0 MB free (apps are now crashing etc)
3) Cleared the internet cache - 0 MB free
4) Switched off an on again - 3 MB free
5) Typed this message (on a different computer) - 10 MB free

So there you have it, you just have to vent on this thread to get another 7 MB. But seriously, I really don't know what to do next. The last time I hit zero I did a factory reset, only to discover that I couldn't restore because in order to connect, my phone needed an APN, which can only be entered AFTER restoring (D'oh!)

BTW How did I get to zero (twice)? I installed very few apps (especially the second time) but I think my crime was saving photos to the phone and have the auto-save-to-cloud thingy switched on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05