Storage details - other category

leaperk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I notice on my phone when I go into settings and phone storage that there is a other category. In a few days of use mine is already 900 Mb. Anybody have a good method of clearing this out? I did clean up IE history and the number went down by a tiny fraction

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Its the OS and all of your temp files. Clean out your internet, search, and map history. That should clear up a lot of space.

Also if you have a lot of text messages with pictures and movies.

leaperk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I feel that there is some weird stuff with the other if is mostly is cache. The number seems large for a couple days of activity. I have not activated.my sim so there are no mms. I opened the map app once and clearing IE cache makes no difference. I am thinking about doing a reset and seeing how quickly the cache grows

leaperk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I asked Windows Phone Support on Twitter and this is the answer that I received;

You may not be able to reduce the size or items in that category. Considered the same as reserved space. ^PJ

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I asked Windows Phone Support on Twitter and this is the answer that I received;

You may not be able to reduce the size or items in that category. Considered the same as reserved space. ^PJ

That is not an acceptable answer. My other category has 700mb. This is something that needs to be addresed.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
"Other" is email, text messages, etc. If you're syncing a lot of email, that could be it. Reduce the email storage to "The last 7 days" or a shorter time frame and see if that helps.

angelsimaren

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
"Other" is email, text messages, etc. If you're syncing a lot of email, that could be it. Reduce the email storage to "The last 7 days" or a shorter time frame and see if that helps.

I tried that and it only seems to help somewhat, but for me the "other" storage started to go way over 5gb. I did a factory reset and left my phone alone and it's going back up to 350mb.

angelsimaren

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys I found something interesting. The apps themeselves are reserving the space for future use and that is stored in other. So when the phone's storage is relatively empty, these apps will use the "other" folder to store in their reserved space. It's weird, but I have a link from Microsoft answers that someone asked this same question.

Code:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpstart/what-is-other-under-storage/979d2948-249b-4303-a475-4183b15af2d6

ZoSo925

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have 6.09 GB that I am unable to physically see what is being used. I don't like a basically feel like I have a locked room or closet in my own house that I am unable to see inside.

I had did the Nokia map update and installed all US maps. That used up 4 GB I think

Automodellista

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have also posted this on the Windows community forum of the same topic but it is really annoying me now so I'm hoping cross posting where ever possible on this tpic will eventually get some answers.

'I'd had my 8x for about a week when I noticed my 'other' file was 6.92GB. I've only got 2GB of apps and under 1GB of music and videos. Everything else apart from the standard OS size in negligible. I've got 4 text messages and 7 e-mails on there and I've cleared all map data.

I now only have 2.22GB free. This is totally unacceptable, 20 mins or so of 1080p filming will swallow that (as tested). I know filming 20 mins of 1080p is very rare, and I don't really need more than a 16GB phone, but I don't want to have to sync and delete this often, it's quite contrary to the whole ethos of 'mobile', and I would quite like to us the 16GB I paid for.

I swear by Windows (sometimes to my detriment), had a HD7 a week after it came out, which incidentally did not suffer from this issue with almost identical info/contacts/apps on it, and even upgraded my desktop to Win8 as I wanted enhanced compatability. Has anyone actually managed to get a clear answer from Microsoft about this yet? Do we know what the file is or how to delete any of it? I'm starting to regret not getting a nexus . . . . . '

Please also note when testing the storage with the 1080p filming, it did state it was full. So much for the dynamic cache theory . . . . .

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have also posted this on the Windows community forum of the same topic but it is really annoying me now so I'm hoping cross posting where ever possible on this tpic will eventually get some answers. 'I'd had my 8x for about a week when I noticed my 'other' file was 6.92GB. I've only got 2GB of apps and under 1GB of music and videos. Everything else apart from the standard OS size in negligible. I've got 4 text messages and 7 e-mails on there and I've cleared all map data. I now only have 2.22GB free. This is totally unacceptable, 20 mins or so of 1080p filming will swallow that (as tested). I know filming 20 mins of 1080p is very rare, and I don't really need more than a 16GB phone, but I don't want to have to sync and delete this often, it's quite contrary to the whole ethos of 'mobile', and I would quite like to us the 16GB I paid for. I swear by Windows (sometimes to my detriment), had a HD7 a week after it came out, which incidentally did not suffer from this issue with almost identical info/contacts/apps on it, and even upgraded my desktop to Win8 as I wanted enhanced compatability. Has anyone actually managed to get a clear answer from Microsoft about this yet? Do we know what the file is or how to delete any of it? I'm starting to regret not getting a nexus . . . . . ' Please also note when testing the storage with the 1080p filming, it did state it was full. So much for the dynamic cache theory . . . . .
Who is your carrier? I read on multiple reviews that the AT&T 8x had 14.56 GB of storage available out of the box. I was playing around with the Verizon store model a couple of weeks ago...it said there was something like 11.26 GB available (I'm sure that people had been taking pictures, sending texts, possibly downloaded free apps, etc). How much bloat ware crap is Verizon puting on their version that can be removed? Hopefully enough to free up a couple more GB.

Automodellista

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Im on O2 in the UK. There are no carrier apps on it. Yeah 14 available is right but when a mystery folder is taking up half that, I'd quite like to at least know what it is , preferably with the option of deleting some/all of it.

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I have 1GB in Other with no visibility into that folder. I hope this changes with the update or I will have to get a new phone.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I've over 4.6 in other. I remember from windowsphonehacker.com, he spoke that there's a bunch of stuff left in cached memory across the apps. He was doing a clearer app for 7.5/8, but that requires an unlocked/jail broken phone. As it needs side loading. No one has done this for WP as of yet, so far as I know. I hate going into IE to clear the stuff, because it clears EVERYTHING!! I like my passwords remembered, cuz sometimes I don't. Too many. I've also downloaded tons of apps, most I won't really use. There's 3.6 in apps so more would be reserved than the apps themselves. If anyone has ideas/insight, please let is know..

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
This is why I returned my 8S after a day. After installing a minimum amount of essential and practical apps I had 400MB free. Once I had been using the phone for a few weeks I bet that would have been swallowed up. Its a great shame as the 8S is a wonderful phone but HTC crippled it with only 4GB or storage, god knows why. I think MS should make 8GB the minimum requirement for storage unless your making a really low spec phone for emerging markets

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If the "Other" is app space, then surely its simple, uninstall apps one at a time, and monitor the "other" category, and work out which are stealing all the space. Then we can submit bug reports against the apps, to get the to fix or at least explain the space reservation.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Nice thinking on the bug reports Snail. I've been crazy happy in the Store with apps the lastly few. I need to clean house

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3