Storage details - other category

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. I've been using my HTC 8S for exactly 8 days now, and my other is at 1.2GB. No IE data, only 10 applications, and no maps. I think my Skydrive photos may have something to do with it. I believe it caches them to view them, and all my other photos on my SD, but stores the caches on the phone. App data is worrying too. Everytime I uninstall, restart, and install my apps to gain space, they just pick back up from where I left off, suggesting they don't really uninstall. I have 450.3mb of space free now...with only three 30mb videos on the phone. 1GB of music on my SD card, and 800mb of photos on my card, too. I've recorded 1 video, and taken 15 photos. I'm a clean freak, and this 'other' is nagging me like a itch I just can't scratch...

TheXFather

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: What about the "Other" storage section ?

IMO everything that is cached must be saved somewhere other then the rams of the fun so it must be saved there. These cached data can be: tile info, internet cached info for apps, saved mail, even the phone calls (older phones were limited to 1 received, 1 missed or 1 placed), messages, apps messages(whatsapp, viber, etc), nothing is limited, the more msgs and calls u make the more data is added, also the contacts which r synced from your accounts take more space then the old sim ones, etc u know where i'm going with this.
basically every information u receive on your phone or send is saved there, so it's normal for your other to keep growing over time. :D
i got 150 mb but i don't need more. i know it's awesome to have free space but if u don't use it it's just wasted space:D

Wmorrison01

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

This "other storage" issue is a pain in the ass. I just had to uninstall 19 apps on my phone simply to do the Portico update on my Lumia 810...and it's still yelling about low phone memory. I'm curious what the 495.47 MB is in Music & Videos catagory. I have all of my music and pictures and videos on my microsd card. Oh, it just failed again. There's 563.84 MB of apps now. and 48 Kilobytes of free space.

Richard Tain

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

Hi,
I've got the Lumia 820 (7, 41 Go max)
And I'm completely out of space on the phone due to the other section :
Music + vid = 0
Photos = 3,69 Mo
OTher = 4,91Go
Apps = 588,80 Mo
Sys = 1,91 Go
Free space = 15,58

I don't have that many apps. It's a bit sad to uninstall them!!

Sheikmans

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone contacted Microsoft yet??? I hope all people who are complaining about this serious issue have addressed this to our friends in Redmond.

Bee Beep

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

A curious thing happened today, I was downloading Where's my water game on my HTC 8s and I had about 200 MB free, so as the app is downloading I get a "phone is low on storage" message, the app installs without a problem and I go and check how much space have I got left and now it appears that my free space has actually gone up and now there is about 600 MB free?! It seems the phone clears up some of that "other" when it gets low on space. Atleast that's what mine does...

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I did a hard reset and restore the other day and kept an eye on Other. I had sent an email to myself with about 18 photos in it I wanted saved to my phone's SD card. After downloading every photo in the email (without saving them anywhere), "other" went up in size... I did expect that. I went through and saved each downloaded file to my SD card, then deleted the email and reset the phone. "Other" did not go down at all!

I imagine this is the reason Other gets so high - everything it accumulates (browsing history, attachment downloads, youtube video cache, etc I would imagine) never goes away unless you hard reset (which really isn't an acceptable solution). MS could even be "lazy" and not have to worry about an automatic fix - just let us go in there and clear out what we don't want manually! This is definitely a problem though.

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
RE: What about the "Other" storage section ?

I'm sure with all the inquiries microsofts getting on this they might create a way to clear cache from apps. At least that would be helpful. Zune had a small habit of doing this as well.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

I experimented a bit on this:

I have noticed that enabling the auto-upload back-up feature for the photos eats up a lot of space in the others storage section.

After first enabling it and after it has finished uploading the photos to Skydrive, the others storage grew dramatically. With the hopes of restoring my free space, I disabled it and deleted the uploaded photos from Skydrive, but sadly the free space was not recovered. So I had to uninstall some games and apps.

After a few days, I thought of re-enabling the auto-upload back-up feature since the space has already been eaten for it anyway. To my horror, even if the photos that were re-uploaded were the same ones as before, the other storage still grew. Again, disabling it and deleting the photos from Skydrive didn't help. I had to reset my phone. LUCKILY, windows phone 8 has the back-up feature for phone settings and SMS so restoring it back wasn't really a problem. Now I make sure that I would not enable the auto-back-up feature for the photos to Skydrive, and I am now enjoying twice as much free space as before.

Try not the enable the auto-back-up feature for the photos at least until Microsoft finds an update for this, if ever they would.

Also, it might be useful to connect your phone to Wifi once in a while or at least while charging. In the settings, by default, the phone sends feedback to Microsoft but only through Wifi. I noticed appreciable drops in the size of the "Other" storage section almost immediately after I connect to Wifi. I guess part of the "Other" storage section is used for feedback information.

Let us know your observations.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

I experimented a bit on this:

I have noticed that enabling the auto-upload back-up feature for the photos eats up a lot of space in the others storage section.

After first enabling it and after it has finished uploading the photos to Skydrive, the others storage grew dramatically. With the hopes of restoring my free space, I disabled it and deleted the uploaded photos from Skydrive, but sadly the free space was not recovered. So I had to uninstall some games and apps.

After a few days, I thought of re-enabling the auto-upload back-up feature since the space has already been eaten for it anyway. To my horror, even if the photos that were re-uploaded were the same ones as before, the other storage still grew. Again, disabling it and deleting the photos from Skydrive didn't help. I had to reset my phone. LUCKILY, windows phone 8 has the back-up feature for phone settings and SMS so restoring it back wasn't really a problem. Now I make sure that I would not enable the auto-back-up feature for the photos to Skydrive, and I am now enjoying twice as much free space as before.

Try not the enable the auto-back-up feature for the photos at least until Microsoft finds an update for this, if ever they would.

Also, it might be useful to connect your phone to Wifi once in a while or at least while charging. In the settings, by default, the phone sends feedback to Microsoft but only through Wifi. I noticed appreciable drops in the size of the "Other" storage section almost immediately after I connect to Wifi. I guess part of the "Other" storage section is used for feedback information.

Let us know your observations.

Auto backup ? You mean auto upload ?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Auto backup ? You mean auto upload ?

Yes, it is the "auto upload" setting under the "backup" category in the settings. Thanks for this. It's just that I've been using "auto-upload back-up feature" for the entire post, which was longer than "auto upload", so I decided to use the latter shorter version in the end.

Anyway, I hope this information helps in the quest to solve the mystery behind the "Others" storage section.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Yes, it is the "auto upload" setting under the "backup" category in the settings. Thanks for this. It's just that I've been using "auto-upload back-up feature" for the entire post, which was longer than "auto upload", so I decided to use the latter shorter version in the end.

Anyway, I hope this information helps in the quest to solve the mystery behind the "Others" storage section.

Under backup> i have them all set to upload off...i can say that for a month since i saw the "Other" issue, my Other is hardly increasing,, when i first saw it, it was 3.22 now its 3.66 GB in just 20 to 25 days. So u might be right but as i said i have them off already so lets see what other might say about it

NMTavares

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

I also have the same problem, in a HTC 8S, and had to delete some apps, and specially the maps(portuguese map - 148MB) and i gol 300mb of space, imediatly.
But that's not an answer to the problem, this architecture has a big problem with devices with internal memory less than 16GB(and even that... it's not recommendable), i'm about to return the phone, because i still have not seen one line about this by microsoft, and not assuming that for me it's a problem(if they did, i had no worries, because i knew they would fix it any time soon)

Sorry for the english.

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

This is another sad confirmation that nothing has changed from WM6.5 where there was exactly same issue, caused by account information database on internal storage. WP8 is really a very bad and buggy OS.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720