Storage details - other category

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Phone memmory almost full, what are thos other contents store on my phone? [Lumia 920]

I have the answer, I just found out about it last night before bed.

Go to C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Downloads

Delete everything that's inside that folder.

For some reason, Microsoft decided to put shadow copies of apps and software. They're useless, so dint need to worry.

How could I do that? This is on the phone not Windows PC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone memmory almost full, what are thos other contents store on my phone? [Lumia 920]

The preloaded Nokia Maps take 3-5GB.

-E

Toezilla

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site

This will be absolutely no help to you, but figured it might be worth mentioning anyway. A few days ago my "other" storage was up over 3gb on my HTC 8x. Yesterday it was down to exactly 2gb. I did nothing out of the ordinary as far as I know, but somehow I got some space freed up from "other" storage. It seemed to just happen on it's own. I did do a soft reset that day, but I don't see how that should fix the problem.

This really just adds to the mystery of Microsoft's "other" storage I guess. Not only does it seem to create itself, now it deletes itself too!

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

This will be absolutely no help to you, but figured it might be worth mentioning anyway. A few days ago my "other" storage was up over 3gb on my HTC 8x. Yesterday it was down to exactly 2gb. I did nothing out of the ordinary as far as I know, but somehow I got some space freed up from "other" storage. It seemed to just happen on it's own. I did do a soft reset that day, but I don't see how that should fix the problem.

This really just adds to the mystery of Microsoft's "other" storage I guess. Not only does it seem to create itself, now it deletes itself too!

I would say LOL, Windows Phone is a Toy OS ever I have been useing, damn.

blegate

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: What about the "Other" storage section ?

My $.02. I gave up on this and returned to Android. I did extensive tests on the Windows OS -as my other posts show -and there just isn't a reasonable solution right now for this storage issue. I honest feel if you don't have a min of 16gb storage, you'll have challenges with the "other" storage (my old phone had 8). I will give this OS another shot in 2 years as I do think it will be a contender + I truly miss the quality Nokia had to offer. I still can't find a replacement for CityLens :(

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Memory usage 'other' section

One more 'other' thread coming up!
DenniSundaY please check the forums before starting a new thread to make sure that it's not a repeated one. Thanks :)

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Guys, i think the other memlry is a mix of memory which can't be categorized as music and apps etc. and it is used as cash for many apps. I viewed a few huge videos on metro tube and my other memory went from 2,5gb to 5,3gb in about an hour! It never drained, only got bigger. Deleting IE memory helped to bring it down to 4,8gb but this is insane. Why isn't wp8 deleting cash memory automatically? why can't you see where it is used for?why haven't we heard from Microsoft yet?

Last edited:

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Guys, i think the other memlry is a mix of memory which can't be categorized as music and apps etc. and it is used as cash for many apps. I viewed a few huge videos on metro tube and my other memory went from 2,5gb to 5,3gb in about an hour! It never drained, only got bigger. Deleting IE memory helped to bring it down to 4,8gb but this is insane. Why isn't wp8 deleting cash memory automatically? why can't you see where it is used for?why haven't we heard from Microsoft yet?
We haven't heard from them since WP7, about this. Keep emailing them and Tweeting @WinPhoneSupport

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Can I just jump in because nearly everyone is annoying me. This isn't memory, it's disk space. Thanks.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

Disk space? It is on a flash memory chip so why can't you just call it memory. In Dutch we use it as the translation of memory (geheugen) and space (ruimte) both. I know what you mean because memory is usually the RAM but memory just the trivial name for 'disk space' too.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I suppose it's just me working in IT that hates calling it memory. Granted it's Flash Memory, but just calling it memory really grates me. It's been a long day and I'll head back to my dark corner now :wink:

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

Haha I want to work in IT if I graduate in next school year. I'm glad you said that! The more you know (draws rainbow with hands)!

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I think its your offline cache. Go to each of your apps and clear offline contents. WPCentral for example has its own offline cache to store archives.

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

So you're here, but why?

I love UI but most useful functions is still in developing process, and now I really use my lumia for taking photos and VDOs, whatsapp sometimes, phone call, facebook sometimes, that's all.
Because when I want to video call or VoIP with my oversea friends, it's only available on (restricted) Skype, no Tango, no Wechat Video Chat, no Viber VoIP, no LINE VoIP, no no no... feel like back into symbian again :(
I am not giving up but when people ask me if they want to join WP, I always do not recommend them.

Until WP is perfect for everyone to use, I'm still not proud to say any think yet.

Most of my time is one Nexus 7, it's sad but it's true.

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had enough of this now. I can't even update apps I already have installed. I've cleared all texts, emails, removed some Nokia music offline mixes, cleared internet cache....and I've got 10mb free on my 820.

Is there ANY way of clearing this 'other' storage apart from a hard reset (meaning I lose all saved games). I'm not downloading new apps here, I'm not adding to my storage with photos or videos, I'm desperately trying to avoid anything that might add to storage at all and I'm losing space all the time.

There are threads here, on the MS site, on the Nokia site, on other blogs and I've have not seen ANY official acknowledgement from MS about this either to admit it's a bug or explain what it is and how to manage it (I don't mean mods talking about dynamic storage which can't be the case as it's NOT releasing extra memory as required). It's breaking functionality of the phone.

Sorry if this sounds a little ranty but I love WP8 but no way would I recommend the OS to a friend with this issue. Tweeted Sam Sabri asking if WPC were aware of the problem it the other week and he said they'd look into it. Not sure if WPC has ever run an article on the issue have they? Seems odd considering how many people are complaining it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster