Storage details - other category

stamford27

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I just opened a thread about this, and it was closed down within 30 minutes. They know we're onto them, and how much their OS sucks. Lets face it, apart from a couple of things, windows phones is worse at every level than the other 2 OS. I've known it but still pretended windows was ok, but the storage problem, which they know about, just pushed me over the edge, my phone is effectively dead. So i have to reset it and lose everything, so it can happen all over again in a couple of months.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmm that sucks! Maybe something is wrong on your mobile, i have about ten apps and some free games, my other storage is 1.2gb i don't watch videos or do anything hardcore on my l620 because the battery is pretty bad. Im satisfied with wp8 but could be alot happier on android as apps are free, available in plenty. Ms already said wp isn't their priority so we could be stuck on this limited product for a long time.. Anyway
Take it easy, switch if you're unable to resolve your issue. Don't take your anger on wpcentral :)

stamford27

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hmm that sucks! Maybe something is wrong on your mobile, i have about ten apps and some free games, my other storage is 1.2gb i don't watch videos or do anything hardcore on my l620 because the battery is pretty bad. Im satisfied with wp8 but could be alot happier on android as apps are free, available in plenty. Ms already said wp isn't their priority so we could be stuck on this limited product for a long time.. Anyway
Take it easy, switch if you're unable to resolve your issue. Don't take your anger on wpcentral :)

Believe me i would switch, but i like to support Nokia, so im stuck. Can you just imagine how big Nokia could be with an Android phone?? The mind boggles. Thanks for replying and your advice, but where else should windows customers vent their frustration at a sub standard OS. there are things i like about windows, but i honestly think if all windows phone customers were honest, they'd have to admit other OS are far superior. Whenever a bank or anywhere say use our app, it's never on windows. Windows know about the storage problem but do little to resolve it. Nokia do far more.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
So storage issues do not exist on Android? Really? For a very short amount of time a few months ago, I had considered a Galaxy S4 instead of trying out a Nokia WP. Until I read about only getting half the amount of storage out of the box brand new due to Samsung's bloatware and touchwiz taking up like 9GB of space and all the lag with Android. Not to mention that Android apps and their temp or cache files also start taking up space on a phone if not regularly deleted. The average Android user probably does not go into their running task manager and stop apps from running and delete their cache files like I used to do every day on my old phone. Then they wonder why their phone is running slow or out of space. At least with Android you have the option to delete those files but it becomes a very tiresome task.

No I don't install or use a ton of apps on my Lumia or have the need to play games or videos on it. I have an HD TV and brand new PC for all that. I just need a fresh, stable, fast and fluid phone which I believe the Lumia 920 is. I don't regret switching at all. Just hope that MS addresses this storage issue soon so people can stop losing their storage space and for others considering the switch are not so easily turned off by things like this. I guess from what I've been hearing that the storage issue has been improved in the GDR2 release. Let's hope :smile:

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
On Android, you can simply clear app cache in one shot by using this app called "app cache cleaner" it shows various app caches by sizes and you can either clear cache for a particular app or you can do for all the apps. < this is one approach, Im sure there are many..
I believe on the cheaper Android devices they all come with 100-200MB internal memory and this is why it causes lag/slowdowns when you start using multiple apps and you dont keep clearing your phone memory very often... The trick is to go for a better device(with bigger internal memory so that you dont face this issue, or simply can root the phone and install SDEXT for moving to external SD cards.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
On Android, you can simply clear app cache in one shot by using this app called "app cache cleaner" it shows various app caches by sizes and you can either clear cache for a particular app or you can do for all the apps. < this is one approach, Im sure there are many..
I believe on the cheaper Android devices they all come with 100-200MB internal memory and this is why it causes lag/slowdowns when you start using multiple apps and you dont keep clearing your phone memory very often... The trick is to go for a better device(with bigger internal memory so that you dont face this issue, or simply can root the phone and install SDEXT for moving to external SD cards.
There are two Android caches -- the system cache is unavailable unless you are rooted. There is a specific name for this cache, but I can't remember what it is.

The accessible cache can be cleared from the menu for resetting the phone; that one is easy to clear. . .

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if this problem was solved with the GDR/Amber update?

I haven't used skydrive on my 928 at all, and I've only had it for about a month now, and I'm up to 1gb in Other. I'd LOVE to turn on the auto-upload of photos, but I'm flat-out terrified of then having to hard-reset my phone.

Oranges123

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Looks like a hit & miss as I have read some people having some success and others like me GDR2 did not free up any space for me at all which came as a disappointment. Have had GDR2 for nearly month now and was hoping to see some gradual improvement over time but it has done nothing on my phone.

Now I ran out of space, some live tiles don't function properly, some apps do not work and just close automatically. I have now removed a few apps and games to free up space but whats the point, I'm figuring that will soon be eaten up too. It is a joke that here is this nice OS and the modern hardware to support it yet to it cannot be used for everyday tasks.

I don't know if Microsoft have drawn the line under the "Other storage" problem when they said its fixed in GDR2 but if they don't actually fix it properly all that market share they have gained they will eventually lose a chunk of it and not grow properly as they should. In the short term picture wp is growing but new users don't realize this issue until they have used it for a few months and then they will get annoyed and leave.

WP is a very fluid and at the same time a good looking OS. Yet here is an incredibly inefficient way it handles this storage. Space is one of those things that is a premium on any mobile device and and wp is thriving on low to mid-range phones which mostly have 8gb storage so its surprising this still is not being taken seriously.

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I have 17GB in other storage on my 920. But GDR2 keeps my free storage from 1.1.-1.5 free. Can't reset because I'll lose my whatsapp messages :(

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Looks like a hit & miss as I have read some people having some success and others like me GDR2 did not free up any space for me at all which came as a disappointment. Have had GDR2 for nearly month now and was hoping to see some gradual improvement over time but it has done nothing on my phone.

Now I ran out of space, some live tiles don't function properly, some apps do not work and just close automatically. I have now removed a few apps and games to free up space but whats the point, I'm figuring that will soon be eaten up too. It is a joke that here is this nice OS and the modern hardware to support it yet to it cannot be used for everyday tasks.

I don't know if Microsoft have drawn the line under the "Other storage" problem when they said its fixed in GDR2 but if they don't actually fix it properly all that market share they have gained they will eventually lose a chunk of it and not grow properly as they should. In the short term picture wp is growing but new users don't realize this issue until they have used it for a few months and then they will get annoyed and leave.

WP is a very fluid and at the same time a good looking OS. Yet here is an incredibly inefficient way it handles this storage. Space is one of those things that is a premium on any mobile device and and wp is thriving on low to mid-range phones which mostly have 8gb storage so its surprising this still is not being taken seriously.

Once u factory reset the phone after GDR2, the other storage will not go up. Try it.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1520 running Black but it doesn't have an "Other" category, although I do have a "Temporary Files" category taking up about 1.5 GB. There's an option to delete them which I have tried about a dozen times, but it doesn't do anything. It sits there acting like it's doing something for several minutes but when it's done nothing has changed.

My apps category went from 5GB (which I don't have anything close to), to 6.5GB by installing a file downloader program which is only a few meg. Weird.

I don't know what GDR3 means. I'm running 8.0.10521.155. Firmware is 1028.3562.1407.1001.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520 running Black but it doesn't have an "Other" category, although I do have a "Temporary Files" category taking up about 1.5 GB. There's an option to delete them which I have tried about a dozen times, but it doesn't do anything. It sits there acting like it's doing something for several minutes but when it's done nothing has changed.

My apps category went from 5GB (which I don't have anything close to), to 6.5GB by installing a file downloader program which is only a few meg. Weird.

I don't know what GDR3 means. I'm running 8.0.10521.155. Firmware is 1028.3562.1407.1001.

The other storage issue is a mess, but did you do a soft reset after deleting your temporary files to see if they disappear?

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I just tried it, no cigar. I just noticed there are two places to check storage under Settings; "Phone Storage" and "Storage Check". The first says I have 1.5GB of temporary files and the second says I have have 447MB. Sillier and sillier. Thanks for your reply though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium