custom notifications windows phone 8

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow, this has to be such an easy and minor thing to implement that I can't believe they did not include it with WP8. This is the top feature suggestion so shows how much they listen to their users. :(

Feature Suggestions: Top (17826 ideas)

And my primary reason for needing this feature is to use an alarm tone for text alerts when I'm on call which I was able to do on my last phone (Windows Mobile 6.5) and the regular Motorola's before that.

Scott

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Frankly I think a lot of these little changes will come in 8.x. I think they simply had so much going on with the port to the new shared kernel and such that they were not able to spend time on all the little tweaks they may have wanted to. Just like rumor of the notification center and such. I suspect we will see these things get addressed heavily in the next few updates of the 8.x era.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Frankly I think a lot of these little changes will come in 8.x. I think they simply had so much going on with the port to the new shared kernel and such that they were not able to spend time on all the little tweaks they may have wanted to. Just like rumor of the notification center and such. I suspect we will see these things get addressed heavily in the next few updates of the 8.x era.
As much as I really don't like making excuses for stuff like this, that is probably a true statement. They did a lot of work getting everything over to that new kernel, improving a few things here and there along the way, but they couldn't get everything. There must have been a lot of internal deliberation on whether to focus on switching to the shared kernel immediately or adding new features and then having to deal with getting the OS (with the additional features) onto the kernel.

I suppose they also wanted to get the "no upgrade path" thing out of the way as soon as they could, before Windows Phone got into the hands of many more people.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I don't expect this to come in 8.x....it never came in 7.x I was just surprised they didn't fix this yet

Yes but let's be honest, WP7 was a stopgap "transition" OS that was put out so they would have a more modern OS on the market until they got WP8 (alongside W8) ready. If they waited 2 more years to get off the Windows Mobile platform, they would have been worse off than RIM is right now in terms of trying to get a new OS into the market. That being said, I obviously can't guarantee they will change this anytime soon, but I think lots of little changes like this kind of stuff will be making it into WP8 and beyond now that they are on their true foundation platform.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I still want to be able to change my notifications on both my wp7 and wp8...really surprised they didn't put this in, thank god they made the ring tones easier to get in wp8 or I think my wife would have killed me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6