Cleared web browser history on WIndows Phone 8 not really cleared?

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just got the Lumia 920. Great piece of hardware and I'm coming to learn about Windows Phone 8.

Was doing some web browsing this morning, testing out how the Internet Explorer browser handles different sites, video, etc.

I made my way over to an adult oriented site... you know... for research purposes, and check out a couple videos. It was kind of weird actually... the video thumbnail showed, but then on tap it prompted me to go and download an app for playing the video, I said no, but then the video actually loaded anyways and it did play.

After that I went back to another site (WPCentral.com actually), and from there I went into the browser settings and deleted my browser history. Obvious reason of course... don't want the naughty website in there.

HOWEVER... after I cleared the browser history, I then hit the back button a couple of times, and it took me back to the adult sites I was on.

Why did it do that? If I clear the history, it should clear it from that browsing session. I should be forced to type in the domain again and not be able to just back button my way into it (that's potential for serious trouble if I had over the phone to another person to test out).

Anybody know the reason for this? Any way to make sure cleared browser history is CLEARED?

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It is cleared but just like any browser unless you close the tab you can always go back. That is pretty much the case with any web browser. Hit the ... Icon and close your tab

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
In the three dot menu tap recent you will see the little trashcan tap it will remove everything except the page you are on. Clear history in settings should do the same thing I am going to have to play with that a little a see what is going on.

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
@tcman88 Hmm... maybe you're right. Will start playing around with a few others. I guess you're right.. I often do close browser, open and clear history. Though I'm kinda sure these days I don't and it is cleared. Will do some testing. Though I still wish when you just cleared history it cleared **EVERYTHING**.

dermotf

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Just tested it on the BlackBerry Playbook and the Surface and it is the same. If you clear the history while in the browser, you can still hit the back button and go to the previous page.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Here is what I am finding you have to do you have to close the tab you are in. You can do this in the tabs under the three dot menu or you can use the back arrow to back out. Careful who's looking when you use this method @Kevin its going to back through the last few websites before exiting to the start screen. When you open the browser again your history will be cleared.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't want the naughty website in your cache, but it's ok to post it on this public website that you were there.... Makes perfect sense.

Really what clearing the history does is packs up your history into a zip file, and sends it off to the NSA.

:wink:

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Hahahahahahaahaha,
no wait, wait...
Hahahahahahahaha,
but seriously....
Hahahahahahahaha,

Anyway, finally ditching the BB I see.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
hit the ellipsis (three dots) to bring up the more menu, hit tabs, hit the x on your current tab, brings up a blank tab, clear history not from settings.

Not that I ever need to do that.

avladis

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm a noob to wp8, and my question is similar to the one above.
Just like Kevin, I wanted to delete IE history. I went on the 3 dots menu-settings-delete history.
The first time I did it, it took quite some time (more than 5 min) so I thought something was wrong and canceled the aplication running.
It deleted the history, but still, when I type in the search bar, it offers me results from the history of visited sites.
How to remove that?!
History is empty. Since than I deleted history a couple of times and it took much shorter, but I still have the same problem.
I tried everything, closing tabs, connecting it to a computer and browsing all the data but nothing helped.
Any ideas?

Thanks

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You can delete the recent sites by clicking the 3 dots, go to recent and there are 2 options below. Select and Delete. Choosing delete takes away the history

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ilostagunbattle

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
hey guys...

i am facing the same problem...last year after i got my windows phone..one night when i was alone i searched for deadly women pics...like this "nu** women pics"....after that i spent an hour or two having a good time...afterwards i cleared browser settings and everything and pretended nothing ever happened...but now i have this problem that when i press "n" on the internet explorer bar it immediately shows "nu** women pics" and i can't get rid of it no matter what....its been a year...i use UC browser now but yet i am always scared one day my wife or my daughters will use my phone and i will get caught...its very bad of Microsoft to screw me like this...i am buying a new not-windows phone as soon as i get more money :(

i will probably have to drop this one in the toilet water because my wife is suspicious of everything..........

contactlece

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
go to Cortana. select the hamburger button,go to settings>search history>delete history.This will remove the search history in IE. Hope this helps..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos