Zune/XBox Music Syncing

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So, I finally got in my Yellow 920! Yeah!

I used the Win 7 Phone Sync software to transfer all of my music over to the phone.

However, I have a Zune pass (now Xbox music), and those songs that are DRM protected will not play on the phone. It is not transferring over the DRM license.

How do I get my phone to play those DRM protected songs? Yes, I am using the same account on the phone as the Music Pass. Yes, I have added the device at xbox music website.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I thought songs bought from Zune did NOT have DRM protection? I thought it was only downloaded songs via Zune Pass that was protected. If that's the case, then just redownload them in Xbox Music. I don't have a pass anymore, so just taking a guess.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I thought songs bought from Zune did NOT have DRM protection? I thought it was only downloaded songs via Zune Pass that was protected. If that's the case, then just redownload them in Xbox Music. I don't have a pass anymore, so just taking a guess.

Yes, as I said, I am trying to get my Zune Music Pass Music synced to my phone.

There is no XBox music for Win7...just Zune!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Go to xbox.com, log in to your account, go to My Account, then click on Manage Music Devices. Make sure there are a max of 4 devices in there, including your Windows Phone.

I have DRM music syncing fine from my Zune Pass. After you sync the DRM music, unplug the cable from your phone... for some reason they didn't want to work until I did that.

Oh, and I purchase all my music through the Zune software.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I contacted Microsoft support and they gave me 1600 points for my inconvenience. Hopefully they will be able to get a fix out in a decent time frame.

And I have no desire or need to update to Win8 now...just to use Music on my phone!!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I read, (not sure if changed) any media purchased through Zune, will not work with Xbox Music/Video.

This makes sense, because with Windows 8 we get unlimited streaming from PC even without an Xbox Music pass. But I think after 6 months we are limited to 10hrs/month. The pass extends your access to WP and Xbox, beyond your PC. With Zune, you don't get unlimited streaming at all unless you get a pass.

I contacted Microsoft support and they gave me 1600 points for my inconvenience. Hopefully they will be able to get a fix out in a decent time frame.

And I have no desire or need to update to Win8 now...just to use Music on my phone!!

That is awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Go to xbox.com, log in to your account, go to My Account, then click on Manage Music Devices. Make sure there are a max of 4 devices in there, including your Windows Phone.

I have DRM music syncing fine from my Zune Pass. After you sync the DRM music, unplug the cable from your phone... for some reason they didn't want to work until I did that.

Oh, and I purchase all my music through the Zune software.

You must be using Windows 8 then...

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You must be using Windows 8 then...
Alright, I hear ya. In the name of science, I booted into Windows 7 (dual boot) and installed the Windows Phone sync client that can be found here. After waiting what seemed like ages, it loaded up all my music and pictures and I specifically chose a song I know has DRM on it. I synced that song. I tried to play - got the "unable to play this file" message. I then unplugged the cable from my phone. I pressed play, and the song played.

If it makes a difference, I deleted one of my devices directly from the zune player before going to xbox.com and checking for my windows phone to be on there.

I can't be the only person who has done this though. Can someone else chime in?

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I hear ya. In the name of science, I booted into Windows 7 (dual boot) and installed the Windows Phone sync client that can be found here. After waiting what seemed like ages, it loaded up all my music and pictures and I specifically chose a song I know has DRM on it. I synced that song. I tried to play - got the "unable to play this file" message. I then unplugged the cable from my phone. I pressed play, and the song played.

If it makes a difference, I deleted one of my devices directly from the zune player before going to xbox.com and checking for my windows phone to be on there.

I can't be the only person who has done this though. Can someone else chime in?

Not sure why it is working with you. Other then maybe because that song was already synced, or does not actually have DRM.

In the Microsoft help chat, they specifically said it was a known problem that you can not use Zune Pass DRM Protected music in Win7 with WP8, and that is why the gave me the free credits, to apologize for my inconvenience while they are working on the issue.

It might also have something to do with the fact that you used Win 8 and XBOXMusic and it changed the DRM on the files directly. Who knows.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It might also have something to do with the fact that you used Win 8 and XBOXMusic and it changed the DRM on the files directly. Who knows.
Nah, it couldn't have. The file I tried was still in the Zune subscription folder... hmm, I think I know what you mean. A brand new downloaded file that Xbox Music hasn't even seen yet? Maybe.

Glad to know they're fixing it though! I'm starting to wonder if my DRM will stop working after I sync X number of songs now... who knows.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre