How do I block a phone number

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello, how can I block a phone number from calling on windows phone? I would be happy just to give them a silent ringtone, but I don't see that option?? I'm new to WP. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Can't block numbers. Silent ringtone would work but you would have to manually add one.
This is wrong. blocking numbers is all dependent on your carrier. Sometimes the feature is built into phones, sometimes not. Heck even the iPhone doesn't have it built in. login to your carriers website and there should be a section for you to edit blocked numbers. If you have trouble call your carrier and ask about it. Most carriers today have this feature.

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the info. Android would let me add the unwanted caller as a contact then set them as blocked, which just sent them straight to voicemail if they called me.

Ari69

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
If you are an AT&T Customer, you have to subscribe to the "Smart Limits for Wireless Parental Controls". This will allow you to block an calls/texts for up to 30 numbers. The downside is that it's a $5/mo charge. Other than creating your own ringtone via a ringtone maker and assigning it to that caller, then this may be your only other option.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No, you can't block a number on your own. You have to go through your carrier.

However, you don't have to make a ring tone. Download Free Ringtones app and search for "Silent". Download the ringtone. What I do is numbers that call me that I want to 'block' I add to a contact called "Ignore" which has the silent ringtone set.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
You can sometimes block using your carrier. Verizon allows up to 10 numbers free, I believe. Alltel used to as well, but they're now AT&T.

Actually they merged with or were b ought by Verizon. Some areas which were Alltel had to be divested and were bought primarily by ATT as part of the approval process.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
IOS7 allows you to block the caller very simply. Literally highlight the number and hit "block number." I'm about to update from Lumia 800 (7.8) to Lumia 1020, hope windows have got their act together and added this feature....

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
IOS7 allows you to block the caller very simply. Literally highlight the number and hit "block number." I'm about to update from Lumia 800 (7.8) to Lumia 1020, hope windows have got their act together and added this feature....

yes the feature is there now. Make sure and update all the built in nokia apps (display, extras + info , etc) and you will see the call and sms filter in the settings menu.

Cheers :)

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ahh thanks for this thread. My Lumia 920/GDR2 has the call blocking just as you describe. First you got into Settings and Call + SMS Filter. You accept the page to enable it. Then you go back to your Call History screen, press and hold the phone number you want to block and then tap Block number and it will add it to the list. It looks like you can have 1000 blocked numbers.

-m

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett