Windows Phone 8 - Lumia 822 - Video recording - Micro SD Card issues

Hdsiii

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
One thing I just discovered. The storage settings are misleading.
"Store new music+videos on" doesn't apply to recorded videos. Probably applies to videos downloaded.
"Store new pictures on" seems to apply to pictures and recorded videos.

dan nensel

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list. Have a class 10 SandDisck microSDHC card 32 gb (red and gray). choppy video. This works fine in android... seems like a software issue.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's the phone. I spent several hours at the Microsoft Store with their phone tech trying to figure out what's going on (but on a Lumia 810). It looks like the SanDisk 64GB microSD (part # SDSDQUA-064G-A11A) card is at issue.

I did everything I could think of to get the SD card to work. "Quick" and "Long" formats, format the card with different allocation unit sizes, delete the partition, recreate the partition, you name it, I think I did it.

Other microSD cards work just fine in the phone. We even found a lower class SD card (class 6 I think) that worked, and was able to write 720p and 1080p video without issue. I just returned my SanDisk microSD card to where I bought it. I'm now on the look out for deal on a Kingston 64GB microSD card to try out.

mountainman

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck with any 64GB microSDXC card? I just cancelled my Amazon order of my Sandisk card after reading all this.

Even if you ARE having good recording with your card and it's not 64GB, let us know the type of card.

This is kind of a bummer. My 822 is coming on Wed - was so looking forward to loading a bunch of movies on there.

UPDATE: Check out this thread ==> Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia Lumia 810 64GB MicroSDHC - Nokia Support Discussions

If you don't want to click, here is what was interesting from the thread:

I have a Lumia 820. Bought a 32GB Class 10 Sandisk SD card. Problems from the word go - freezing / locking when trying to access / sync with computer. No problem wit the card (checked on other systems). After such a long time talking with various Nokia personnel: THeLumia 820 can only support MU 22 to MU 44. In other word old slow class 4 maximum cards! What a joke. Another Nokia person told me they were rushing out a firmware update to reslove the issue. So, at the moment I have a 'phon in which I cannot load a 'modern' fast SD card.

Any suggestion would be better than those I have so far had from Nokia.

Not sure I really believe that the only cards are the old Nokia branded class 4's. I think I'll just hold off on any microSD card until more concrete info is available.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I really believe that the only cards are the old Nokia branded class 4's. I think I'll just hold off on any microSD card until more concrete info is available.
Using a Kingston 32GB Class 10 (part # SDC10/32GB) card, the phone had NO issues, it worked perfectly.
But...
A Patriot 32GB Class 4 (part # PSF32GMCSDHC43P) card, has issues and creates jumpy videos. Which is expected because it's a Class 4 card. (I had one of these lying around in drawer).

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
...and that Kingston card doesn't work either. Looks like I may have a defective phone. Sigh.

One last thing to try before you exchange your phone. Reformat the SD card on a computer with this program: SD Card formatter (mac or windows). In the options select "Format Type = Full", "Format Size Adjustment = On". Start the format, and walk away (it takes a LONG time to do a full format).

Grey NK 822

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes there is an issue with the 822, unable to properly support some SD cards specially saving High Quality videos directly to SD...so you need to use videos to phone...

Nope... Sandisk has some bad cards out here.

This has been driving me crazy as well. So I did some tests last night.
My phone is grey 822 with Sandisk 64gb class 10 uhs-1 card. Very choppy skipping video.
Wifes phone white 822 with Sandisk 32gb class 10 card. Works fine, no chop or skip.
put an old Sandisk class 4? i think 2gb card in my phone and videos are fine although slow to write. No chop or skip.
Returning 64gb card for replacement from Amazon. Hope the new one works, sounds like there are some bad Sandisk cards :eck:

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
When I had the Lumia 822, I found that my older card could record 1080p video just fine. It was the new card that failed horribly.

Older card is: Micro SD 16gb class 2

Newer card is: LX Micro SD hc 32gb class 10

Both cards are Patriot brand.

jdefuria

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
One last thing to try before you exchange your phone. Reformat the SD card on a computer with this program: SD Card formatter (mac or windows). In the options select "Format Type = Full", "Format Size Adjustment = On". Start the format, and walk away (it takes a LONG time to do a full format).

I'm already in the process for an exchange (new phone should be delivered tomorrow), but I will try this as well, especially if the new phone has the same problems. Note, I did try doing a full format using windows 8 standard formatting tool. That did not work.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
would the 32GB SD card listed in the store on this website be ok? SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Card - Windows Phone Memory Cards I have a crapload of music that I want to put on it to listen to on my phone

I don't know anything about SD cards. but I think it's a class 2? based on the fact that everyone is saying they are using a 10, I'm guessing it wont be up to par? but I found cheap deals on that same SD card and was looking to get that: Sandisk 32GB Microsdhc Card Class 2 - product summary - Bing Shopping

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you are just reading files off the SD card, you should be fine. It's writing files, mainly video, to the SD card is where you need higher classes of SD cards for write speed.

So I would recommend that if they are cheap, get one and try it. Be forewarned that if it is a lower speed class it will take a long time to copy files to it.

jdefuria

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm already in the process for an exchange (new phone should be delivered tomorrow), but I will try this as well, especially if the new phone has the same problems. Note, I did try doing a full format using windows 8 standard formatting tool. That did not work.

The new phone appears to be working properly. I have not tried extensive recording / playback with HD video, but at least this phone recognizes the SanDisk 64GB Class 10 properly, and I have sync'd audio files with it over USB with no apparent problems.

(No problems other than the mess that is Windows Phone 8 syncing with Music that we are all aware of, that is...)

Doug Miller1

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Here is the card i am using: Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro SD XC 1. I ordered a second card, and inserted in phone straight from package, and i am still getting choppy videos on the new card. So its either that this model card does not support full video from this phone, or i have a bad phone. I am going to take the new card back and try to get a different brand card.

skiatomic117

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
it's not having any problems? have you tried recording videos and playing them back? any chop?

where did you aquire your SD card? and do you know the model number is?
SDSDQUA-064G-U46A?
SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A?
SDSDQY-064G-A11A?
SDSDQUA-064G-A11A?

Juan Collado

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I also have a major problem with teh Nokia 822 video camera.

Bought a phone but did not really get to use it much during the first 14 days of warranty due to some family member having a stroke.

The video camera surprised me a few times when I recorded a surprise birthday party and then guess what? NO VIDEO. The camera app closed and then I look fo rthe video and it was not there and in some cases I had a grayed thumbnail which had zero seconds recorded and gave errors when playing.

I had my phone exchanged and then I had the same problem. My wife has the same phone and most of the times it works fine but also has the same issues.

Another issue is that teh video light freezes ON and I must pull the batterry out to be able to shut it OFF.

I'm a new Verizon customer with 3 wireless added in the month of november and december. I added two windows phone and one Galaxy SIII. No problem s with teh galaxy yet.

VNow i have three Windows phone with teh same problems including the exchange! Verizon refuses to give me another phone other than an exchange for the same windows 8 phone.

I know the issue is related to recording to Memory cards because it works fine 99% of the time without memory card. I bought my sandisk card at veryzon store and formated the card. After formatting teh issue appears much less but still happens. I put another memory card from an older phone formatted and I still have the same problem.

I HAVE HOME VERIZON SERVICES AND NOW THREE WIRELESS. You would think they would be able to provide an echange phone of different Model.
They refuse to. I am considering dropping all of my Verizon services even though is going to cost me almost $1000 loss in just a month!

ANOTHER MAJOR PROBLEM WITH TEH WINDOWS 8 PLATFORM IS THAT FOR MY INSURANCE BUSINESS IT IS NOT GOOD. My companies do not have the apps I need for quotes and status check, but they do have them for Iphone and for Android.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks
NY

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Juan,

If you're willing to try another brand of SD card, I would recommend the following from Fry's electronics: Samsung 32GB microSDHC Class 6 UHS-1 MB-MPBGB/AM Yes, it's only 32 GB, and it's a Class 6 UHS-1, but I put it in my Lumia, and it just worked. I didn't have to format it. Just put it in the phone and started recording 1080p video without issues. And it's only $23 (+ shipping).

I also have to say, copying files to the phone via USB directly to the SD card was faster than I've gotten so far from all the SD cards I've tried (including a SanDisk 64 GB card). Go figure ?!?!?!?!?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium