Skype not running in backround

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Okay so i haven't received any chat notifications with the new Skype app at all. Today i decided to create a 2nd account and do some tests with myself.
I found on a Skype forum that the WP8 app notifications won't work with old versions of the desktop app you always appear offline if you aren't in the WP8 app.
Once I downloaded the updated desktop app I suddenly stayed logged in when I left the app on my phone (by either start or back button)
Now that i appear online from the desktop I send myself a message and then my contact card flickers between online/offline then the message shows as sent and i get no notification on my phone.
I also tried calling myself from my PC and while that seems to work every time it took a very long time for the call to get to my phone.

Has anyone had this problem and been able to figure it out, or am I just the only one not living in a background notification wonderland?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
It is still a preview version (not complete) so it is a known issue it doesn't fully function in the background yet. Have to wait for another update to allow this.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I know that it's still a beta and I'm not really upset that I'm having problems but i also know that some people were getting background notifications as lamented by Kevin Michaluk in his post about not being able to log out. I was just wondering if anyone had the same problem as me and was able to fix it.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have similar issues... sometimes background notifications work, sometimes they don't.

I also seem to have to restart the Skype App after rebooting the phone and close it out before getting any calls.

I actually have two Lumia 920s with different Skype accounts I have been testing with (one is my mother's I am setting up for her). Results from the beta are definitely mixed so far. Much better than the WP7 app, but not very reliable and pretty scatter-shot as to whether you get notifications and incoming calls.

I'm really hoping they will clean this up and truly deliver on the promised experience. I personally don't care about being online all the time. But I do really need reliability, and this is one of the reasons I jumped on the WP8 bandwagon early (and paid an etf to do so).

Last edited:

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I got a few notifications tonight so that's better than nothing. I just hope that MS has really made WP8 a top priority this time because the more people start to learn of Windows Phone the less forgiving they will be for problems with services.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077