Top Gutter - What is this used for?

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
In WP8, Microsoft got rid of the right side vertical gutter, thus allocating more space for the Live Tiles. However, there is still an unused black gutter at the top just - underneath the clock area and between the first row of Live Tiles. I was looking at the Lumia 920 and it just stands out more (at least to me) because of the larger screen size. So I looked at the Samsung Focus and realized that it was present even with WP7 devices. Does anyone know what this black bar of nothingness is for? Is it a placeholder for future functionality? Is it just for design? Future Notification pull down area? Is it currently being used in WP8?

Letros

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've always assumed it was to keep the bottom tiles from showing up completely on screen to let people know there are more icons down below...now that I have a bigger screen, I agree, this needs to go.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I noticed it more on my 920 vs Titan....wish they would cut it down to the bare minimum required to display signal etc...or make the signal etc have an overlay so you can still read it and maximize screen use.

xbilly

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Seem to remember reading the Microsoft initially specified notifications for that location but ran out of development time. Guess this could be included in a future update ?

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe to leave space so when you double tap the top to see your signal you don't accidentally hit a live tile and launch it?

Last edited:

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe to leave space so when you double tap the top to see your signal you don't accidentally hit a live tile and launch it?
I use Launcher7 on my Android phone (Samsung Captivate) to give me the WP7 screen. In that Android implementation, the top gutter is very narrow, nowhere near the gutter gap of Wp7/Wp8. I haven't accidentally launched a Live Tile ever when I try to get to the notification center, so there must be some other reason. I hope its a placeholder space and not an intentional cosmetic or design approach.

Last edited:

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I use Launcher7 on my Android phone (Samsung Captivate) to give me the WP7 screen. In that Android implementation, the top gutter is very narrow, nowhere near the gutter gap of Wp7/Wp8. I haven't accidentally launched a Live Tile ever when I try to get to the notification center, so there must be some other reason. I hope its a placeholder space and not an intentional cosmetic or design approach.

Agreed.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
It matches the gutter at the bottom (not counting the little arrow) so you know you are at the top of the page. Could be smaller, I guess. Ask Joe Belfiore why they chose that exact amount of space and you'll probably get a subjective answer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes