Text message issue over bluetooth while listening to music

BlueBomber

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody. I have a quick question about receiving text messages while listening to a song over Bluetooth:

When I receive a text message, the song stops playing and a voice announces something along the lines of "Incoming text from <random person>, say reply or ignore". If I unlock the phone to view the message while the voice is announcing the incoming message, the music begins playing again out of the phone speakers. This has caught me by surprise in the middle of a workday a couple of times, and it's a little embarrassing having my music suddenly blare for everyone to hear. If I say 'ignore', the music will resume through my headphones. If I ignore the notifications altogether by not saying anything, the music will eventually resume through my headphones.

MY QUESTION:

Is this normal? Is there a way to turn off these 'voice notifications' for every single text message that I receive? They are a little annoying for when I'm texting back and forth with somebody.

Bluetooth Headphones: Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800
Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Thanks!

Paul

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
This works on WP7.5, so I'm hoping it'll work on WP8 as well. There's two ways to do this -
To temporarily turn it off, set your phone on silent/vibrate. This way, music will still play but toast notifications (like SMS text, etc.) won't interrupt your music.
To permanently turn if off, go to Settings > Speech, and turn off Audio Confirmations (towards the bottom of the page).

Hope this helps!

BlueBomber

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Perfect! Thanks for that - it always seems to be in the last place I look.

Is it a bug when the resuming music drops from my Bluetooth headphones and is played through the phone speakers when I unlock the phone during a notification? That doesn't seem like it should ever happen...

Thanks again.

Fallen Cpt Jack

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
It could be a bug with WP or a problem with the way your Bluetooth device works (or the way WP works with your Bluetooth device). I had a headset one time that would always crash the audio stack on my Arrive and I couldn't hear any sound until I rebooted. Using my 900 and my 920, I keep my notifications on all the time, use a Bose Soundlink, and everything works very well together - but I use it in a hands-free mode. It'll announce the text, read it to me, I can respond, and music starts playing again.

Richard Rodney

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Yep, was annoying the hell out of me. So I went back to Microsoft store where I got my Lumia 950XL. The setting is under Cortana settings for windows phone 10. Go to Cortana, then select the drop down on top left, then choose Notebook, then settings, scroll down and set text messages to be read aloud on wired, Bluetooth or off.

gregors10

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Well Done Richard and thanks for posting.

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and was worried that this feature had been removed when Cortana didn't say anything.

The difference is that i WANTED the notification to be read out!

Bill Hague

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Good to find this thread!
I have a Lumia 636 which I have had linked to the bluetooth audio in my VW Tiguan after changing the module
The phone has been working fine with controls from the steering wheel, allowing me to answer hands free, and even to dial using a press button menu, but up to this week I have never had any notification of incoming texts nor the option to reply with voice activated messages (as in my other car with an after market system).
This week, I decided to explore the option of linking my phone music via bluetooth to the in car player, and all has gone reasonably well (with some minor glitches that will be the subject of another post).
Since then, however, the phone has suddenly decided to let me know of texts arriving! although it does not read them aloud.
When the text comes in, the display menu on the headset switches from the radio to the Aux menu, but does not switch back to the radio after the "text from X" has been announced.
Perhaps quite separately, the display on the radio tab is now showing a moving display for the station name, whereas previously there was just a frequency.
All very odd how it has all happened simultaneously, and makes me think that they are likely, though not necessarily, connected.

Any thoughts or comments will be much appreciated.

Tony Gamble

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
My phone doesn't have settings for Cortana and the only option in Speech is the language. I turned off notifications for Cortana and messaging and that didn't change anything. I hate my music being interrupted for a stupid text. Anyone know how to turn it off in the latest version and why they keep making it more complicated to turn off??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99