My chronicles of having a Windows Phone.

jbudke

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Chapter 1.

Why don't the **** just work.

Apple may be very restrictive with it's operating system, but you know what? The **** just works. Tell me why when I plug a Windows Phone into a Windows 7 computer with the most current version of Windows Phone Desktop installed I get a "Driver Not Found" error? This seems ridiculous to me. I would say I'm a little more computer savvy than the average bear so I am willing to carry on. If I was a typical computer user or a seasoned citizen, that shiny new Windows Phone would have been returned to store before end of day. But I like a challenge. But again, having the current "state of the art" smart phone should not be a challenge.

The Microsoft and HTC web sites both state to resolve the missing driver issue one should install the latest version of Windows Phone Desktop. Duh. Did that. They don't remember that I went through all this with the Lumia 920. Fortunately because of my Lumia experience I was able to go into Device Manager, select the generic Windows Phone and update the driver. Oh wait, that only works after rebooting the phone once or twice and reinstalling the Windows Phone Desktop app at least once. Which I did. I cannot remember the exact order of reboot, reinstall, reboot but eventually I was successful in getting the HTC driver installed.

Hurdle 1 crossed.

I am a user of iTunes. Because up until now I had an iPhone. According to Microsoft, this is not supposed to be an issue. WRONG. The Windows Phone Desktop does a good job of interrogating the iTunes data files and provides a list and interface similar to iTunes for you to select Playlists/Music, Videos, Podcasts and Ringtones. I selected the items which I previously had on my iPhone. A handful of playlists and extra album or two. A couple movies and some ringtones. I click sync and off it starts moving files to the phone. Sweet, I think to myself. I did select about 8 GB of data so the transfer took a little while, but that is to be expected. What I did not expect was, near the end, the program to crash, again just like it did on the Lumia. Sheesh! Once again, why don't the **** just work. It was late last night and I was tired so I went to bed with the plan to do forensics in the morning to see what didn't get transferred. One play list (of four) came over. This is better than the zero with the Lumia. As near as I can tell all of the music and the two movies came over. But none of the ringtones. Which all came over on the Lumia.

Hurdle 2, toe caught top of hurdle.

So tonight, I will try again, I really want my custom ring tones. How else am I going to know when Johnny V calls if I don't hear that Allman Brothers song. And I can live without or recreate a couple of playlists.

So hopefully those handful of ringtones will copy over just fine. If the Windows Desktop fails I will use Windows Explorer to move the files. Once you have the proper driver installed the Phone looks like a jump drive.Shoot, I just might use Windows Explorer and skip the desk top app.

That is all for now. Stay tuned for Chapter 2 which will hopefully be resolution to the lingering issues from Hurdle 2.
Also stay tuned for my rant about SkyDrive and how it sucks also. But before I write that I need to make sure my issues are not user induced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon