Creating a new Microsoft Account. Use @yahoo or create a new @outlook?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
My wife is getting her first WP, the Nokia 920! I have a question regarding a new Microsoft Account. She currently does not have one, but uses a yahoo email for everything. I know she could setup a new @outlook.com account for her Microsoft Account or use her @yahoo account.

Can someone explain the advantages/disadvantages of using a @outlook.com vs @yahoo.com for a Microsoft account.

Will the calendar on the phone still sync? Will it use the yahoo calendar or the Microsoft calendar? Same with contacts?

I think I am making this more difficult than it is. I just want this to be easy for her. My initial thought was to just create a new account using an @outlook.com email. I am not sure she is thrilled with changing or having a second email account. I just don't want her to lose any features.

Thanks.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
You should get her completely off of Yahoo. Not only are the Outlook.com services far superior but Yahoo is a hackers paradise (as witnessed by the numerous cases of people having their yahoomail accounts hacked).

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Outlook.com will always provide the best experience on a Microsoft (or Microsoft-certified) Exchange device. The calendar, email and other syncs are first-rate.

Yahoo will work fine, but it won't get the same level of support that Outlook will.

dtiapril

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'd vote to go Microsoft. There have been issues reported when trying to connect a XBL gamertag to the devices that is associated with anything but an official Microsoft email address which might cause you problems if you start downloading games.

You can still link the existing Yahoo! address for picking up emails and calendars so you won't be missing out on anything, and you can also link the inboxes to have both email address folders within one tile/hub.

Enjoy your 920 :)

mmyers750

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I use Yahoo mail and the mail syncs fine. Yahoo calendar, however, will not sync to the phone (at least not that I've been able to see). There is a workaround, by giving your Live/Outlook account access to your Yahoo calendar, but you'd be better off just using Outlook.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99