Anyone doubtful about WP8 progression?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have to be honest, while there is a lot I like about WP8, I'm a bit skeptical as to how long it will take MSFT to progress and mature into a total OS that integrates well with all other windows products. There are quite a few things missing that you would have thought over the course of a year they would have fixed/added. I understand they were working on the kernel, but with their deep pockets, why not have a separate team work on some progress e features? Maybe they did do this and have just been tight lipped about it release. Is 6 months a reasonable time frame for us to see something new? Am i being too demanding as a WP8 supporter?
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Um..... As a Xbox music pass user, 6 month means $49.5.... Given that whole experience is terrible, shall we really give them 6 month to fix it? We can't even use Spotify....

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I understand they were working on the kernel, but with their deep pockets, why not have a separate team work on some progress e features?

That could be a huge waste of time and money... the kernel devs might have to change something which the other team might be relying on for their progressive features, and then they're screwed. If you're doing something as daunting as rewriting the entire kernel, everything else stops until that kernel is finalized.

To answer your question, no, I am not doubtful.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
To answer your title question: yes.

Having started to delve into C++, it will not be long until I will need to make the call on which platforms I will choose to write for. iOS will probably not be an initial target since I am totally detached from that ecosystem other than pundits that I follow. I don't know if it's worth it to go for "Windows exclusive" (write for DirectX and support WP8/W8) or whether I should work with cross-platform middleware so I can have Android compatibility. Make no mistake, I'd strongly prefer to target Microsoft platforms exclusively since they are still budding so the competition isn't as breakneck. But there is simply no guarantee that either WP8 or W8 will gain a large user base that will buy software through the respective app stores, and I don't want to be stuck with months of work that can't get me anywhere.

Last edited:

diego3336

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have no hope at all. IMHO it will be the same as WP7, with only 1 major update to include (some) features that iOS and Android have had for years.

I was expecting for Windows Phone the same "strategy" that MS used on Xbox, with WP7 being the Xbox, and WP8 the 360:

Original Xbox: Better hardware and lower price than PS2, with innovations such as a HDD for faster loading times and the ability to create custom soundtracks for the games; A killer app (Halo) and others top-notch exclusive games like Project Gotham Racing, Rallisport Challenge, with more things being added later, like Xbox Live. It was easy by the time that MS was spending big money and doing everything to gain brand awareness, despite the slow sales and burning billions per year. They continued releasing great exclusive titles like Ninja Gaiden, Forza, and investing hard to bring PS2's AAA exclusives like GTA and Winning Eleven (PES). The original Xbox was a flop in terms of sales, but MS successfully showed the world that they were a serious player on the market and people already knew what a Xbox are.

Xbox 360: Now an established brand coming 1 year earlier than the competition with full of new features like an even better Xbox Live with Xbox Live Arcade and Indie Games, Achievements, connectivity to Windows Live Messenger, wireless controllers, USB ports to stream music from a MP3 player and another killer app (Gears of War). And since then, Xbox 360 continued to be regularly updated, bringing features like Games on Demand, movies and tv shows for sell or rent, Kinect, all those "apps" like Twitter, Facebook, Netflix, Hulu and others.

It's clear that MS take Xbox seriously, now compare this to WP7 and WP8...

Even after I used my WP7 for almost 2 years seeing almost no effort from Microsoft to keep the OS updated compared to competition, I was hopeful that the WP8 would be the real deal, specially after almost 6 months of complete mistery, coming with killer apps and exclusive games, useful new features et al, but they came with nothing but an OS with almost the same flaws as before. So I lost my faith...

Last edited:

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
@diego, see you reflect a bit of my thoughts in your post. The steps and past progression MS has taken doesn't really seem like they are positioning themselves to make a few necessary change them to finally being an all around competitor. There will be people that say you don't need this or that feature, but the fact is others OS may have that feature and its keeping people away from WP. If they keep saying that it is the way MS wants it to be, then MS has a long rough road ahead of them. I still like my WP device. I have grown to like a closed system OS because it provides more uniformity. They just need to step some features up.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
FFS.

The OS has been out 2 weeks, and people already see the end in sight.

Microsoft have always had a very definite vision for their WP. And first and foremost, its always been about having a fast OS. The more customisation, the more fiddly bits, the less speed. Its a difficult balance between having no features, but stupidly quick (WP7) and having every option ever, but speed issues (Android).

There are some definite holes in WP8, and i have no doubt Microsoft is working on the ones that they feel matter. But people have to take into account that just because a feature is ultra important to them, doesn't mean its the most popular feature, and therefore it may be further down the priority list than you'd like.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
FFS.

The OS has been out 2 weeks, and people already see the end in sight.

Microsoft have always had a very definite vision for their WP. And first and foremost, its always been about having a fast OS. The more customisation, the more fiddly bits, the less speed. Its a difficult balance between having no features, but stupidly quick (WP7) and having every option ever, but speed issues (Android).

There are some definite holes in WP8, and i have no doubt Microsoft is working on the ones that they feel matter. But people have to take into account that just because a feature is ultra important to them, doesn't mean its the most popular feature, and therefore it may be further down the priority list than you'd like.

I understand what you are saying, but lets be real, WP has been treading water for quite some time. And if you can't add some features and keep up with some speed, then something is wrong. And to begin with, on my 8x and on my 920, they are not as smooth as my Titan II or my 900 was. Also, all Android experiences aren't the same because surprisingly my One X had no problems...none. And I am not exaggerating. It seems that Android made more progress years ago than microsoft is doing now. But at the same time, I understand that MS is doing it differently. But not everyone is going to understand it and wait around for them to truly get it together. They came in at a bad time to be denying converts things they had on a previous OS. I can see if they denied them these things in the smartphone infancy, but smartphones have been out for a long time (in computer tech years, lol)

I'm still riding with WP, but there are some people who might be led astray. MS needs to pick up the part of the population that is still on feature phones so they can't smell the features other OS have already like being able to save a simple video file from my e-mail to my phone. I've received 10 videos in the last week between my wife and friends and I have to wait to get home to get to a computer to do this. I cant' even save it to my sky drive. But this is just one problem. Others might not have enough caring friends and family that send them videos. Then there's the whole content owned from Xbox music things...can't view those movies on your phone? Why not? It's am MS product on Xbox. I've got this nice green Xbox icon on my phone, I assume I might be able to view that content....nope.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Well WP7 didn't take off and WP8 lacks the most basic apps i.e banking, data usage and it has just a couple of decent quality games and they're very expensive. Maybe I'm just being picky because the Lumia 920 is my first Windows phone and I upgraded from an iPhone 4 so I naturally miss the apps I once had.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Change WP8 to Xbox in the title and think about it: I have no doubts. I actually bought a WP7 on Sprint (can't recall which model) and returned it for my HTC Shift Android as it seemed WP7 was simply not where it needed to be.

Now WP is all it needs to be and more. I can do so many things easier on my Lumia than I could on my Shift. All my people information in one spot. Love the tiles. Outlook and calendar work oh-so-much better on a WP. Speed is awesome. My Lumia build quality is as good or better than the iPhone 3GS and Shift I owned and it's a better phone all the way around.

No doubts, MS has an amazing product now and will only make it better.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Apps are a different beast. they will come. Im not getting into that. talking more about functionality of the devices features.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I think it's definitely progressing, but whether it's progressing at the pace it needs to stay competitive is unclear. We'll know for sure in the coming months.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have no hope at all. IMHO it will be the same as WP7, with only 1 major update to include (some) features that iOS and Android have had for years.

Even after I used my WP7 for almost 2 years seeing almost no effort from Microsoft to keep the OS updated compared to competition, I was hopeful that the WP8 would be the real deal, specially after almost 6 months of complete mistery, coming with killer apps and exclusive games, useful new features et al, but they came with nothing but an OS with almost the same flaws as before. So I lost my faith...

tQnBo.gif

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that every time you ask about the oft-mentioned but never listed "missing features," it comes down to UI that doesn't look and work like iOS or Android. Which, incidentally, is the entire POINT of WP.

The best path to failure is make a "me too" product with decades-old UI that is pretty much identical to the better-established competition, IMO.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I'm doubtful of, related to WP8, is all the people that are doubtful of it, continuing to be doubtful of it. 😅

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that every time you ask about the oft-mentioned but never listed "missing features," it comes down to UI that doesn't look and work like iOS or Android. Which, incidentally, is the entire POINT of WP.

The best path to failure is make a "me too" product with decades-old UI that is pretty much identical to the better-established competition, IMO.

This was why I couldn't wait for WP8, Android has become some immersed in TRYING to be iOS that it now carries certain social implications just as iOS does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb