Anyone doubtful about WP8 progression?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm most curious to see how quickly system updates are available. Ideally, we should see one before the end of the year, and then quarterly. Given how much MSFT has hinted that there are many things they "didn't have time for", there should be a big update forthcoming.

Setting yourself up for disappointment. Outside of critical bug fixes, you shouldn't expect to see anything until Spring. The biggest mobile conference (MWC) is in February. It makes sense to announce the Spring devices alongside the Spring update then.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Unless you think that Microsoft are going to go bust then WP8 progression is pretty much guaranteed, they've shown in the past with Xbox that they're willing to sink crazy amounts of money to *eventually* be a player in a market they target.

They're pretty much all-in with their convergence strategy and W8 and WP8 are big parts in that, they'll be fine; it's Windows RT which i'm really not sure will have a future...

It probably depends on Surface Pro pricing, but there should still be a lot of folks that don't need all the power of a Surface Pro, for whom the Surface RT will suffice.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Guess I am wondering what updates people are so in dire need of? My 920 is pretty damn solid. The one update I want is to have MS set many options to off versus on by default. NFC? Turn it off. BT? Turn it off. Auto wifi... Off. Back ground task... Off. MS, let me turn these things on by choice! Only issue I had with my 920 was battery life and changing these settings made it a 9 out of 10.

I see a few (chrgeorgeson and ninnnnnja) users who are concerned and to them I say, leave WP and go to your smart phone of choice. That's not meant to be mean, but if you have concerns feel free to leave. I, for one, think WP is the best phone OS out there. I have used an Iphone and Android, but to me WP8 is way above them.

Having any doubts about WP is, to be honest, silly. Think of the original Xbox; pitted against the giant Sony and doomed to failure. Ten years later and Xbox rules (or at least shares rule). MS has a phone OS that is as good or better than iOS or Android. And with MS's persistence and resources even thinking it can fail is, in all honestly, foolish.

Sorry to be so blunt, but there it is.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Guess I am wondering what updates people are so in dire need of? My 920 is pretty damn solid. The one update I want is to have MS set many options to off versus on by default. NFC? Turn it off. BT? Turn it off. Auto wifi... Off. Back ground task... Off. MS, let me turn these things on by choice! Only issue I had with my 920 was battery life and changing these settings made it a 9 out of 10.

I see a few (chrgeorgeson and ninnnnnja) users who are concerned and to them I say, leave WP and go to your smart phone of choice. That's not meant to be mean, but if you have concerns feel free to leave. I, for one, think WP is the best phone OS out there. I have used an Iphone and Android, but to me WP8 is way above them.

Having any doubts about WP is, to be honest, silly. Think of the original Xbox; pitted against the giant Sony and doomed to failure. Ten years later and Xbox rules (or at least shares rule). MS has a phone OS that is as good or better than iOS or Android. And with MS's persistence and resources even thinking it can fail is, in all honestly, foolish.

There should always be updates to an OS, whether for updated/added features or for fixes.

That people have no faith after only 2 weeks is a bit ridiculous.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I say, leave WP and go to your smart phone of choice. That's not meant to be mean, but if you have concerns feel free to leave. I, for one, think WP is the best phone OS out there. I have used an Iphone and Android, but to me WP8 is way above them.

"Love it or leave it" isn't going to get MSFT into double digit market share of the mobile market. You can bury your heads in the sand and whine about it, but this platform, while great in many respects, has glaring flaws and shortcomings that need to be addressed, and quickly. MS has admitted they rushed the product out, and "ran out of time" on key features, and that has led to justified concerns for many users.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
"Love it or leave it" isn't going to get MSFT into double digit market share of the mobile market. You can bury your heads in the sand and whine about it, but this platform, while great in many respects, has glaring flaws and shortcomings that need to be addressed, and quickly. MS has admitted they rushed the product out, and "ran out of time" on key features, and that has led to justified concerns for many users.

Actually my post didn't indicate I was whining nor burying my head in the sand; you assume way too much and we all know what assuming does. WP8 may need a few updates like all smart phones do but I know of no glaring flaws or short comings it needs to address. It works fine as is for me and many others. Maybe you can be more specific about the glaring flaws you perceive?

MS is going to do just fine with WP8; my point is go with whatever OS you like the most. Let's face it, iOS and Android are both decent platforms and for the foreseeable future all three will be around. I am confident MS will gain double-digit market share in the next six months, which is a good target date for them.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Unless I'm misreading your post, how could you possibly come to those conclusions if you have never used either OS?

You did not misread my post, I honestly never owned either phones but I have fiddled with them at the mobile retail outlets here.
I just can't get the hang of their UI. Don't ask me why, I simply don't get it.
Ok, maybe I was impressed that they managed to migrate legacy desktop icons into a handheld device.
But that's it. It's "revolutionary".... IN 2007 !
Then came late 2010.... I was flipping through the newspaper and I came upon this full-page advertisement by one of our carrier.
The advert was showing an out-of-this-world mobile gadget unlike anything I have seen before. It got "squares" with pics & texts in them. Pardon me but I didn't know it was called Live Tiles then.
I was speechless but in my mind, I was thinking "Wow, I need to get me one of this baby ;)". You've got to understand, this is the first time a gadget has moved me emotionally without me even fiddling with it.
I was gasping with excitement & childish anticipation. Iphone/Android did not elicit such raw emotions from me as much as WP does.
Personally, Windows Phone Is Truly Revolutionary because it got the most natural & organic OS for a touch-based mobile device.
By the way, I am not a "nuts and bolts" guy so the nitty-gritty of tech specs don't really interest me. However, I am an EMOTIONS guy and if something can moved my soul, I am sold.
Steve Jobs was and still is the pioneer of Emotional Selling. Through his charisma & high EQ of what people want, he is able to persuade multitude of lost souls to his walled garden. In case you think I tried to belittle him, I am not. I respect & admire Steve Jobs as a visionary & legend.
He is one of the 2 cooolest Greats in the tech world. The other being Bill Gates ;)
However, I am just not emotionally enamored by Apple products. They got a snob & elitist appeal which I dislike. Android is a non-starter for me as they are trying to be an Apple wannabes.
Cheers :)

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had multiple random reboots, and my first full charge only lasted 10 hours.

Then you have a defective phone, but it is not a glaring flaw with WP.

After making the power setting changes in other posts my 920 lasts a day and a half. I have never had a random reboot and I would say the vast majority in these forums will say the same. So those are not glaring flaws for WP8 or the 920, it may be a production issue with your phone. By that same logic the iPhone 5 has glaring flaws as it experiences lockups, a map fiasco, and several minor issues from sounds to screen quality.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely LOVE the posts about how far Apple and Android have innovated in their last iteration vs Microsoft.

Lets take Android... This is the added features for Jelly Bean, from Wiki... (Edited out Tablet only features that have nothing to do with phones)
<blockquote>
Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
VersionRelease dateFeaturesImage(s)
4.213 November 2012[SUP][85][/SUP]
  • Photo Sphere panorama photos
  • Keyboard with gesture typing
  • Lockscreen improvements, including widget support and the ability to swipe directly to camera[SUP][86][/SUP]
  • Notification power controls
  • "Daydream" screensaver, showing information when idle or docked
  • Accessibility improvements: triple-tap to magnify the entire screen, pan and zoom with two fingers. Speech output and Gesture Mode navigation for blind users
  • New clock app with built-in world clock, stop watch and timer
  • Increased number of extended notifications and Actionable Notifications for more apps, allowing the response to certain notifications within the notification bar and without launching the app directly
  • SELinux
  • Always-on VPN
  • Premium SMS confirmation[SUP][87][/SUP][SUP][88][/SUP][SUP][89][/SUP]
</blockquote>So their latest and greatest phone innovations are... Well, except a few that admittedly would be "nice to have", they are all built into WP8

Now Apple, their latest and greatest phone has such amazing innovations as... A larger screen, and different shaped headphones (seriously, *this* is what their commercials focus on). Oh, and Apple Maps.

Microsoft, on the other hand, built a WHOLE NEW OS. Yes, it looks similar to WP7, but lets face it. Once you change to a whole new kernel, you're making a new OS. Visually, they kept the same theme with some tweaks. They even made sure it had backwards compatibility - which given a new kernel is no small feat. I'd say they've done a damn good job.

I switched from a BlackBerry Torch 9810, I rarely use my iPad anymore, and the only thing I miss from either these devices is the little blinking light on my BB so I can see if I have a message from across the room.

MS has put a LOT into this OS, and I actually do get stopped by people loving the look and feel of my Lumia 920.

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 810 and i am so/so about WP8. I've been thinking that if I don't see a few features added in the next to updates I will most likely leave WP8, and go back to android or make a jump to BB10. Some of these features are a toast notification system, its a must, also a feature where volume for music, nav aren't all linked together and the ability to change the background.

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that every time you ask about the oft-mentioned but never listed "missing features," it comes down to UI that doesn't look and work like iOS or Android. Which, incidentally, is the entire POINT of WP.

The best path to failure is make a "me too" product with decades-old UI that is pretty much identical to the better-established competition, IMO.

That's not true, wanting a notficcation system doesn't mean I want it to look like iOS or Android, but WP8 really needs one and seeing that one of the major execs awhile back said they ran out of time, hopefully we see one during the next update.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
That's not true, wanting a notficcation system doesn't mean I want it to look like iOS or Android, but WP8 really needs one and seeing that one of the major execs awhile back said they ran out of time, hopefully we see one during the next update.

I'm not entirely sure how they could do the notification centre without doing it like Android and iOS... I have an idea on how to make it more Metro though.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Better question, why do you keep asking questions about a desktop OS vs phone OS (unrelated ecosystem vs unrelated ecosystem). What kind of comparison is that?
Yes there are supposed to be more similarities between the phone and desktop than ever, but I really don't think we are at the point where they need to be compared. And by getting the 'full weight of MS' behind the platform, are you referring to the fact that the desktop developers have to drop everything they are doing and switch over to the phone side of things? You are right, they are definitely not doing that, and I'm glad they aren't because it would make no sense.

Unrelated ecosystem? Its MS vs. Google vs. Apple. That's an ecosystem. The phone is a mobile point. MS dumping WP7 to 8 was for better development inside and outside of MS.

The full weight of MS was about MS owning many things, companies or names/programs and on their own phone OS these other devs are not being directed to work on WP8 above ios or Android. Or that that Zune made Xbox Music app and it sucks. Many little things prove it was rushed.

hoonigandad

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone is amazing!! I've had it since win7 launched and luv it over Android! Sure it could have more apps, but it works flawlessly ALWAYS , was first to bring cloud storage to phones and just plain WORKS! ;-) just give it a couple weeks, it'll be worth it :D

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I think for the notification centre they could make users swipe to the left like they swipe to the right for apps. Then the notifications could be listed like toast notifications.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I think for the notification centre they could make users swipe to the left like they swipe to the right for apps. Then the notifications could be listed like toast notifications.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I totally agree its not a bad idea or even, like Android or iOS isn't so bad either, **** even BB has it like that.

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
The only real feature there is a notification center, which we already know is on its way. The rest... pretty much the same limitations as iOS.

I am doubtful of WP7.x updates to, but that isn't really relevant anymore unfortunately. They did what they had to do and we need to look forward, not back.

Actually everything I listed would be a feature so I don't understand why you're being dismissive about this.
Here is the actual definition of Feature: a prominent or conspicuous part or characteristic
In addition, your comment "The rest...pretty much the same limitations as iOS." uuuuuuhhhh right....so? Shouldn't they out do Apple then? Shouldn't they keep differentiating there OS from the rest? I'm taking that comment as " Well if iOS doesn't do it then neither should MS."

Also implying that WP7.X isn't relevant anymore would be damning to MS since they are pushing that device ecosystem hard in other markets to compete with cheaper Android devices (India, and China) MS has stated that they care about those markets very much.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't even know at this point. To me, it really depends on what the first big update to 8 brings us.

I want to give MS some slack due to creating a new kernel or whatnot for WP8. Kinda starting over. But they really missed out on some important no brainers. And they didn't seem to have added all that much, didn't even expand options or features into their email, calendar, messaging, browser apps.
I would like to think they're headed in a good direction, but at times, its hard to say. Sometimes I think they want the to be too basic an OS

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Actually everything I listed would be a feature so I don't understand why you're being dismissive about this.
Here is the actual definition of Feature: a prominent or conspicuous part or characteristic
In addition, your comment "The rest...pretty much the same limitations as iOS." uuuuuuhhhh right....so? Shouldn't they out do Apple then? Shouldn't they keep differentiating there OS from the rest? I'm taking that comment as " Well if iOS doesn't do it then neither should MS."

Also implying that WP7.X isn't relevant anymore would be damning to MS since they are pushing that device ecosystem hard in other markets to compete with cheaper Android devices (India, and China) MS has stated that they care about those markets very much.

I chose to differentiate "feature" from "option" because I consider features to have a significant effect on the usability of the OS and play heavily into purchase decisions, whereas options... Don't. Either way, call them major features vs. minor, it doesn't matter. I'm not here to argue semantics.

I threw iOS out as an example because iOS and WP are both fairly closed platforms by design. If you don't want a closed platform...

And yes, WP7.X is dead. They can continue to release it in those markets all they want. The fact that a WP8 app isn't compatible with WP7.X is the nail in the coffin. Unless you think everyone will continue to release apps that only use WP7.X capabilities, which would be a disaster for WP8+

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6