Help Please - Frustrated by "People Hub"

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
...coming from iOS (1st Gen iPod touch -> iPhone 4)

I love the idea of the "People Hub" and was ecstatic that it appeared that MS had pulled off what it seemed Apple could not...seamlessly merge contacts from multiple sources into one interface.

My dilemma - this is first and foremost a work phone...the company I work for re-reimburses me a set amount for my phone every month as long as I use AT&T. It's my account, under may name, and I get to choose any phone I want and so when the new WP8 phones came out I decided to try WP8 and purchased a Nokia Lumia 920.

My company uses GMail under their own domain - email, calendars, contacts...everything so I was very pleased to note that it appeared that all my existing contacts magically appeared in my phone as I linked various accounts. But this is also a personal phone so I have personal emails accounts with GMail and Yahoo as well with contacts there too (Corporate and Personal Gmail accounts are linked to each other).

So in experimenting with the phone, namely Groups and Rooms, I noticed that I had some contacts that were missing information. Naturally I attempted to edit the contact on the phone but was told that I could only add to the information not change the original information...no problem as long as the information is there who cares. So I add the missing phone number and continue along. Later I attempt to send a group text as a test...WHOA...the phone number is missing AGAIN?! Re-edit the contact and a little while later same issue...ARGHHH! Next I log into GMail and edit the information there...some of the information seems to update but not all...FRAK!

So I took extreme measures - I logged into my Personal Gmail account and exported all my contacts and deleted them from Gmail completey. I logged into my Corporate Gmail account and deleted all non-company contacts and export the remainder. I import both my Personal and Corporate contacts into Live.com and go through all the contacts fixing issues. In preferences on Live.com I block it from fetching contacts from GMail completely. On my Nokia Lumia I set the preferences to not sync contacts from the Corporate GMail account.

Now I think I'm golden as all my contacts are in Live.com...boy was I WRONG!

The Lumia seems to be fetching some but not all of the contacts from Live.com - unless Hotmail contacts and Live.com contacts are different systems?

With the exception of Facebook and Twitter contacts I prefer to manage my contacts myself from a central location but now I'm completely lost...how the FRAK do I setup the phone so that I'm only getting contacts from one place?

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
One thing you can do is go to Settings/applications/people and click FILTER MY CONTACT LIST. Uncheck everything but your Live/Hotmail (or whatever list you want to use).

If you want to continue using multiple lists like facebook and hotmail/live, you can select the contact from one location and link it to another by hitting the chain icon under that person. This is helpful if you have phone information in your personal contact list and other information in something like a facebook list.

Hope this helps.

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's strange... try hard resetting the phone and doing it again? It seems like a software issue to me. It connected to your live without an error message, so live isn't having any issues.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
One thing you can do is go to Settings/applications/people and click FILTER MY CONTACT LIST. Uncheck everything but your Live/Hotmail (or whatever list you want to use).

If you want to continue using multiple lists like facebook and hotmail/live, you can select the contact from one location and link it to another by hitting the chain icon under that person. This is helpful if you have phone information in your personal contact list and other information in something like a facebook list.

Hope this helps.

Thanks...have it set to Hotmail, Facebook, Twitter & Nokia

"Soft Reset" did not work either?

If I have to do a hard reset should I setup a brand new @outlook.com email account and start from scratch?

RE-EDIT - looks like it's working now...I'd like to thank everyone for their assistance and will update if I continue to have issues.

Last edited:

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks...have it set to Hotmail, Facebook, Twitter & Nokia

"Soft Reset" did not work either?

If I have to do a hard reset should I setup a brand new @outlook.com email account and start from scratch?

RE-EDIT - looks like it's working now...I'd like to thank everyone for their assistance and will update if I continue to have issues.

I was having problems with having my gmail linked to my outlook.com when I first got my 920. I then switched to outlook.com unlinked from my gmail, and have had no trouble since.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Just remember sync from the phone to outlook.com is not instant, I think it updates on the back end in some kind of intervals so it takes a little time to see changes often times. Especially when adding linked sources like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Just remember sync from the phone to outlook.com is not instant, I think it updates on the back end in some kind of intervals so it takes a little time to see changes often times. Especially when adding linked sources like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.

Good point. I would add that the first time you sync, it seems to take longer than subsequent ones. I suppose that makes sense as the amount of data is probably much larger the first time.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Was going to mention the same thing. Contact changes are not always instant. I believe it is dependent on how often you have the email account set to sync. I have made changes previously and did a manual sync on the account to ensure I got everything across.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Awesome points...and good to know that a manual email refresh might be necessary - just used to storing contacts locally and not having to wait for updates I suppose.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
STILL having issues with "People Hub"

...currently I'm logged onto Outlook.com and am looking at a contact with a phone number but when I look at that same contact on my phone no phone number.

At the top of the screen it has the contact name and underneath that it states "Hotmail, Facebook".

We're looking at what...36 hours and the information still isn't syncing?

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
u might want to check if all your contacts are linked correctly, i had a problem where a guy (Tom) had a girl's(Cindy) account linked under it when I first set it up, boy was it weird when I got a message from Tom saying "When my baby comes out"...

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The only two "links" for the contact in question are Hotmail and Facebook. I've unlinked GMail and copied ALL of my contacts to Hotmail and updated each and every entry.

How can I tell what Hotmail account the contacts are being pulled from...I'm assuming that it's the account that I am logging into with my Xbox ID/Microsoft Account?

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The only two "links" for the contact in question are Hotmail and Facebook.

u can link several Hotmail account together so in my case under "Tom" i had 4 account 2FB 2Hotmail, which is fine for all other contacts that had multiple accounts on the same service, until it mistakenly linked "Tom" and "Cindy" together lol

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So is there a way to tell what Hotmail/Outlook account the data is being pulled from?

As far as I know I only have one Hotmail/Outlook account as I'm taking great pains to have as much data as possible in one place for easy management. I have set a Microsoft Account, Nokia Account Facebook, Company Gmail (w/contacts blocked), LinkedIn & Twitter.

Is there anywhere else data is being stored?

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
im not too sure what the answer is to your last question, i have one hotmail account setup in my phone, it's my friends that have multiple accounts if i have time after work today ill take a few pic and upload it to show u want i mean

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo