SMS Restoring to Other Family Phone

robshobs

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Here is an interesting problem. My son and I both have Nokia 920's and we use the same Microsoft account for our phones. This allows us to use Xbox Music, share purchased apps, etc. However, we have started sharing some text messages.

Overnight, some of my threads will appear on his phone and some of his threads will appear on my phone. He has had his phone for two days and each night this occurs. It seems like during the backup, the system is restoring some of the threads. It may be occurring during the day as well, I just haven't noticed the timing.

I have been having the problem with Xbox Music where I get the DRM error "unable to confirm media usage rights". As a result, I have reset my phone several times in an attempt to find a solution (with no success). I must say that the backup feature does work well for restoring my phone. And when I do reset, I am prompted to select which backup to restore, mine or my son's. Selecting my backup has restored all of my apps, accounts and settings. However, last night, it didn't restore all of my text messages. Only a small mix of my threads and a few of my son's.

I'll contact Microsoft and so it is reported as a bug.

Rob

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't know that I would really consider that a bug. I think you're using the Microsoft account in a way that is likely not approved by Microsoft in order to share paid apps and services.

robshobs

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know that I would really consider that a bug. I think you're using the Microsoft account in a way that is likely not approved by Microsoft in order to share paid apps and services.

Microsoft does endorse using a single account across multiple Windows Phones. When we first got WP7 phones two years ago, I contacted Microsoft about how to use the Zune Pass with multiple phones and their answer was to use the same login.

It seems they thought of this because the backups are stored under the phone name. When restoring, it will ask which phone backup you want to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos