Simplified phone app

grapemanca

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Have I missed something, or do we always get "History" when we first click on to the phone app?

This seems really odd and inefficient. Why don't I immediately get a number pad or a simplified phone list (or both), like virtually every other mobile phone ever made? What's worse, I get 4 small and unintuitive buttons on the bottom. And the phone button in that grouping doesn't actually bring me to a number pad; it brings me to my long and convoluted contacts menu.

The bottom line is that I need many unnecessary clicks to start making a phone call. If I've missed something in Settings, I'd appreciate your advice.

grapemanca

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the RapDialer suggestion. It's a little convoluted, but once I figured out how to default to my Favourites, it gives me exactly what I want.

It still strikes me as odd that I need to download a secondary app to give me proper phone functionality, but I'm happy to do what it takes to make a phone a phone!

dermotf

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Have I missed something, or do we always get "History" when we first click on to the phone app?

This seems really odd and inefficient. Why don't I immediately get a number pad or a simplified phone list (or both), like virtually every other mobile phone ever made? What's worse, I get 4 small and unintuitive buttons on the bottom. And the phone button in that grouping doesn't actually bring me to a number pad; it brings me to my long and convoluted contacts menu.

The bottom line is that I need many unnecessary clicks to start making a phone call. If I've missed something in Settings, I'd appreciate your advice.

Among those 4 buttons is the number pad button (second from the left), one click away. The button with the phone is actually a phone book. Most people don't dial numbers these days but instead select a contact so I think it makes sense the way they did it.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I rarely make calls from a number pad anymore I dial via contacts but its weird also to me "history" is what it brings up as the default. I would also expect it to bring up either the contacts search or a number pad.

dermotf

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
History makes the most sense for me. I am usually calling someone who called me recently or someone I called recently, and if not the, other options are one tap away.

grapemanca

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The problem with History is that I often call one person 4 or 5 times in a row, so it knocks out many of my important contacts. That's why I like defaulting to a Favourites list. In my previous phones I'd rarely use my recent contacts list.

BTW, RapDialer does a nice job of culling just those contacts w/ phone numbers, and allowing me to choose exactly what I want. The built-in phone app gives you very few choices.

And I still think those 4 buttons at the bottom of the built-in phone app are unintuitve and too bloody small for my fat digits! ;-)

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The problem with History is that I often call one person 4 or 5 times in a row, so it knocks out many of my important contacts. That's why I like defaulting to a Favourites list. In my previous phones I'd rarely use my recent contacts list.

BTW, RapDialer does a nice job of culling just those contacts w/ phone numbers, and allowing me to choose exactly what I want. The built-in phone app gives you very few choices.

And I still think those 4 buttons at the bottom of the built-in phone app are unintuitve and too bloody small for my fat digits! ;-)

I only have 3 buttons ;). Only because i have visual voicemail activated on my phone :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes